Alleged Screen Used Hero TOS Phaser up for auction (now the aftermath)

When I look at the side by side I see two clearly different female plugs installed.
It's seen at an angle in that pic, which makes it tough to tell. They're sanded down on the sides to fit the shell, one is sanded a bit more but that doesn't mean anything. The sockets are the same. The male prongs are either set into the handles at different depths or one is ground down shorter, again it doesn't prove anything.

It's more clear in the photo Highliners posted. Notice also Greg's handle attached to the auction P2.

It's seen at an angle in that pic, which makes it tough to tell. They're sanded down on the sides to fit the shell, one is sanded a bit more but that doesn't mean anything. The sockets are the same. The male prongs are either set into the handles at different depths or one is ground down shorter, again it doesn't prove anything.

It's more clear in the photo Highliners posted. Notice also Greg's handle attached to the auction P2.
I agree with Rob on this one. Back when I attempted to make a hero phaser, I ground my vintage Hubbell plug down on a sander and it came out looking just like both of the ones pictured above. They're not hard to find on fleabay.

It may well be a different plug (at least the shape/size of the housing, not the ports), or perhaps they were trimmed differently to fit inside the shell.

Anyway, I still think that reaching out to HA--in a polite and respectful way--is a viable option. And not in a ranting and raving, "This is an obvious fake!" sort of way. Because it's not an obvious fake. But they should be informed that there are a great many inconsistencies surrounding this piece, which a lot of notable names in the community are seeing. And further study prior to the sale should be suggested.

I've read all 16 pages of this thread and that covers about all of my accumulated knowledge on Star Trek phasers. Looking at the pictures, there's no way these came from the same lineage. None of the lines match on any of the major components, which supposedly should have come from the same mold. Plenty of little details don't match either, on parts that would likely have been made together to match each other as closely as possible. I'm just not seeing it. It's clearly not one of the missing hero props. That only leaves the possibility of it being some long lost unseen "hero" made after the original 4 and... I just don't buy that. Too convenient.

Where do the Nichelle Nichols phasers fit into the list of known phasers?

NN Phasers

As I understand it, one of those was sold back in 9/19 and there was speculation it wasn't original after being promoted by Jon Paul Lussier via FB

Where the hell is Greg Jein in all of this? If there is *anybody* we would all like to hear from, it is him.

Greg, if you are reading this thread, it would be great if you could chime in.

Where the hell is Greg Jein in all of this? If there is *anybody* we would all like to hear from, it is him.

Greg, if you are reading this thread, it would be great if you could chime in.
Just speculation, but it's possible he might be under a NDA if he is indeed involved in authenticating it.

Like I said, just my speculation though. I have no inside knowledge, so take it for its worth.

Just speculation, but it's possible he might be under a NDA if he is indeed involved in authenticating it.

Like I said, just my speculation though. I have no inside knowledge, so take it for its worth.
Not sure. The NDA might only prevent him from saying who the owner is and how they got it, but if he has already said he thinks it is real that opinion is not covered by an NDA, if one even exists, and he should be free to elaborate.

Not sure. The NDA might only prevent him from saying who the owner is and how they got it, but if he has already said he thinks it is real that opinion is not covered by an NDA, if one even exists, and he should be free to elaborate.

Well, now we're speculating about the details of a NDA that may or may not exist about someone who may or may not have been involved in authenticating the item. Not really any further we can go down this path that's useful.

We'll see if he publicly says anything at any point. Until then we don't really know his involvement or his thoughts on this.

At the end of the day, the truth will come out. Unfortunately, someone may end up with a very expensive fake to proudly show off, although it’s still possible that this is somehow a genuine article.

But I sincerely doubt it.

At the end of the day, we can only guess and speculate and debate and work with what facts we have. The only thing that we as a community will have to deal with is the likelihood that some people may dig their heels in hard on one side of the debate of the other. Kinda hard to discuss or agree on points of accuracy/detail and making better replicas when a Holy Grail piece like this pops up, and may well be a flat-out forgery.

I agree with Rob on this one. Back when I attempted to make a hero phaser, I ground my vintage Hubbell plug down on a sander and it came out looking just like both of the ones pictured above. They're not hard to find on fleabay.
And that's why it's helpful to have extra eyes on some of these details! :)

I don't think I realized there was so much solid material on curved sides of the twist lock that you could grind that much off and not hit an interior cavity or some internal part.

And that's why it's helpful to have extra eyes on some of these details! :)

I don't think I realized there was so much solid material on curved sides of the twist lock that you could grind that much off and not hit an interior cavity or some internal part.
You actually do wind up hitting both an internal cavity and a part. But it doesn't destroy the contacts, so it still can conduct a current from the handle.

Well, now we're speculating about the details of a NDA that may or may not exist about someone who may or may not have been involved in authenticating the item. Not really any further we can go down this path that's useful.

We'll see if he publicly says anything at any point. Until then we don't really know his involvement or his thoughts on this.

The Heritage Auctions website is very clear on Greg Jein's involvement, without actually calling him out by name:

"Eventually, the respective owners of the Type-1 and Type-2 Phasers learned about their counterpart, and in a detailed study the two hero components were reassembled and scrutinized in a side-by-side comparison with the only other known Hero Type-2 Phaser Pistol belonging to the highest-profile collector and top authority of original series props and costumes. The collector extensively examined the internal and external components and determined, based upon the comparison, that this Type-2 Phaser Pistol is authentic."

"Extra Crispy" Colonel Sanders needs no explanation. IT IS SLANG which is an anathema towards accuracy. AGAIN YOU ARE ALL doing mindless Group Think actually deluding yourselves into believing you've "Won The Debate" when it ha been settled and you guys lost. This Phaser is the real thing and not one of YOU can bring yourselves to admit this is fact! WHY!?
Do you have a dog in this fight, because you sir, are coming across like a giant toolbag. This is a prop website, people tend to give their opinion on props here.

Do you have a dog in this fight, because you sir, are coming across like a giant toolbag. This is a prop website, people tend to give their opinion on props here.
I wonder, when did a bag for tools become a connotation of something negative? Heck, for that matter, when did the word tool become negative? Tools are a useful instrument. Neurosurgeons couldn't work without them, my piano would never get tuned if not for tools and forget fixing my hybrid SUV. Oh well, I digress.

You can relax, Mr. Highliner seems to have departed from these discussions, unfortunately, as he was most entertaining.

My "dog" in this fight is the objective truth, and an overall honest approach to this posted, supposed question. As I have already related, you all seemingly appear to biasedly desire to prove this isn't a screen used actual "Hero" Phaser Pistol". And that does indeed appear to be a case of "Sour Grapes".

As for your remark: "... coming off like a "Giant Tool Bag".

Objectively speaking and without question, that remark apparently emanates from a preadolescent level of emotional development. Why not use instead "patently offensive to most of us" ---or the like? Otherwise guys, this website does wreak of a Beavis & Butthead disposition. May I also suggest you watch (or re-watch) Mike Judge's Idiocracy, and make a very real effort to analyze in sociological terms, exactly what it was that he was commenting on?

The reason I've related this openly frustrated attitude as expressed, one of a significant loss of patience even bordering on disgust, is because of this uniformly displayed level of childishness as exemplified by the above and many examples of a lack of emotional maturity on here.

---Specifically regarding the many points I have made ...which have been validated and even proven, each and every one having essentially been ignored. I received and continue to receive only personal (ad hominem) attacks.

My "expertise" was supposedly "done away with" by the fact that I had no memory of seeing that lit acrylic Phaser spike briefly illuminated in the first airing of "Mantrap" which I actually watched first run. How many of you can honestly make that claim?

---But as a follow-on, how many of the Phasers actually "lit" in the B&W (Phaser) era? What, no response? Not even one of you knows? All other aspects of my provable and not insignificant expertise again being totally ignored.

Are any of you aware that even Jim Rugg didn't know or remember who first created these Phasers when asked by some rather close friends of mine all the way back in 1975? It certainly wasn't Wah Chang.

Why are my comments about the otherwise impossibility of the many internal parts interchangeably fitting between these two Phasers, (one of which was obtained directly from James Rugg at a price I know, but will not disclose) why are they being ignored?

And why is that comment which is absolute proof that the two came from the very same source, why being ignored? Could it be because the objective "Truth" here is an anathema? The left and right halves of both and either perfectly fit together for one thing. I'd like to see any of you on here try creating a replica from "photos alone" that can do that. It simply can't be done, period.

Another reason I stopped conversing here and on this matter was that not a single one of you responding realized or recognized I was using humor throughout my comments. This went on for so long I felt the need to point out that some of you needed to develop a sense of humor. If any of you take umbrage at that comment, then it is an accurate statement to be sure.

Then there was my personal "outing" --by name, by that EEthan in France, while no else on here would (shudder the thought) reveal his or her true identity. How genuinely unfair and attack dog behavior is that?

It's obvious intended purpose of EEthan's doing that was to dissuade me from further commenting, so I obliged. Why continue here when I see what and who is on this website. It does appear many of you are terrified by several aspects of adult life.

Are any of you aware that 11 Years ago I was invited on here by the webmaster as I was a known professional Hollywood prop-maker (and a lot more)?

Some 26 years ago I turned down a cold (meaning an absolutely unsolicited by myself) offer from I.L.M. to join their crew. I could relate in detail why I was invited and the entirety of this event, but not here.

As an experienced and well regarded professional in this field, I can tell you "youngsters", the Phaser in discussion is the "real deal" and is going up for auction with a complete and well traced paper history verified by those who actually do know.

Lastly, there are operating detail aspects of this Pistol Phaser that are only found on originals and would only be known to those as myself who have handled the Bona-Fide and "Real Things". That is all I will say on this matter. It has been related to me that "Too Much is Already Known".

So with that I bid you all an Adieu , and pleasantly leave you all to pointlessly argue amongst yourselves about whatever it is you people choose to argue about in order to while away the hours of your lives. Best of luck. ---P.

I wonder, when did a bag for tools become a connotation of something negative? Heck, for that matter, when did the word tool become negative? Tools are a useful instrument. Neurosurgeons couldn't work without them, my piano would never get tuned if not for tools and forget fixing my hybrid SUV. Oh well, I digress.

You can relax, Mr. Highliner seems to have departed from these discussions, unfortunately, as he was most entertaining.
Gee, thanks for that!

spockokayyy.gif

Worf Felicia.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back