Alleged Screen Used Hero TOS Phaser up for auction (now the aftermath)

Anyone know anything about this?

It is interesting that so much TOS BSG came up in the same auction.

You would probably get better results by splitting this off into it's own topic.

I think "know" means that Borg69 means, "Is it genuine, or is it FAKE?" Which means this is, indeed, the correct thread to ask that question. This thread is all about HA's [sometimes] questionable business practices.

Some of the items if not all have to be put on the market by the current owners.

You are correct in that most of TOS BSG has been in Collectors hands for years...

A guy of Cruise's stature would be drowning in a 38R flight suit.
I've been away from this thread for a while, so excuse me if this has been debated to death already but... It's not unusual to get clothing that's too big and tailor it down to the size of an actor/actress. This is actually really common & why off-the-rack clothes can look so much better on TV/film than when we try & buy the same thing. That said, the patches are super sketchy & follow the same MO as many of the phaser discrepancies.

This is actually really common & why off-the-rack clothes can look so much better on TV/film than when we try & buy the same thing.

Ah! So, if the person that faked the flight suit knew that the original was a 38R, but didn't realize that it had been altered after the fact to fit Cruse, then this replica, by not being altered, would be the wrong size. If this is claimed that Cruse wore it, but holding it up to an actual worn flight suit shows a difference in size, then that would be conclusive proof of a fake. (besides the fake patches)

... the hero phaser prop which Mikey Spock stupidly pointed at herself (as seen in the screencap on the previous page).

Good times.
Mikey Spock aka Space ***** aka "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out" Burn'em. Just had to post, even if late. :-}

... find the Enterprise limping home into spacedock in TSFS to be far more emotional and engaging (and thankfully shorter) than Kirk and Scotty flying around the drydocked ship in TMP. Both scenes try to capitalize on the audience’s love for the ship, but the TSFS scene creates pathos, and actually treats it like a character, rather than an effects sequence to ooh and aah over.
Not to mention the brilliant move of having G.L. Whitney return as Janice Rand, shaking her head and tsk-tsking at the sight of the battle-damaged Enterprise. If ANYone back at Star Fleet would understand and empathize, she would. I laughed out loud in the theater. Truly great example of subtle, in-universe fan service that doesn't detract even 0.1%.

Can you imagine walken & shatner doing a duet! Incredible!!!!
Now with "more cowbell." (yer welcome)

I've been away from this thread for a while, so excuse me if this has been debated to death already but... It's not unusual to get clothing that's too big and tailor it down to the size of an actor/actress. This is actually really common & why off-the-rack clothes can look so much better on TV/film than when we try & buy the same thing. That said, the patches are super sketchy & follow the same MO as many of the phaser discrepancies.
I served in USCG aviation, and wore a 38R or 40R suit like those ... still stuffed somewhere in a sea bag. The NSN label looks authentic, though the Naval Aviator patches with a star are 100% BS. I would not be surprised if Cruise were outfitted in an off the shelf 38R nomex summer aircrew suit. If it was shortened for his height, there might be some pretty extensive tailoring-fu required -- you don't just "hem the bottom of the legs" as there're zippers for the openings. Just my two cents.

What a wild ride this thread has been. Never thought I'd get caught up, Coke and all.

Last edited:
Not to mention the brilliant move of having G.L. Whitney return as Janice Rand, shaking her head and tsk-tsking at the sight of the battle-damaged Enterprise. If ANYone back at Star Fleet would understand and empathize, she would. I laughed out loud in the theater. Truly great example of subtle, in-universe fan service that doesn't detract even 0.1%.

Of course, she's wearing Commander's insignia in that scene (which contradicts later films, although maybe she was demoted), and is only credited as "woman in cafeteria", but C'MON. There's literally no reason to have Ms. Whitney appear in the film as a random character reacting exactly how Rand would react to seeing her old ship limping into Spacedock. The scene literally makes no sense if it ISN'T Rand.

Setting aside the fact that the Memory Alpha wiki has been polluted by STD and the other recent iterations (we now live in a world where the Enterprise was ostensibly refitted from its first pilot design to the STD design, then back to the second pilot design, which is laughably stupid), I've also noticed a drop in the quality of the writing. Rand's cameo in TSFS is not listed on her bio page, and "woman in cafeteria" gets her own sub-topic. And they actually removed "Clark" from Captain Terrell's page, apparently because his first name wasn't canonically stated in the final cut of TWOK. Which seems...a bit too anal-retentive, even for us TREK fans. Sometimes friggin' common sense should be more important than nuts-and-bolts onscreen canon.

Oh, and that phaser prop is still a big fat fake.

Of course, she's wearing Commander's insignia in that scene (which contradicts later films, although maybe she was demoted), and is only credited as "woman in cafeteria", but C'MON. There's literally no reason to have Ms. Whitney appear in the film as a random character reacting exactly how Rand would react to seeing her old ship limping into Spacedock. The scene literally makes no sense if it ISN'T Rand.
Yep. Janice Rand

Attachments

• 7294-open3[1].jpg
    7294-open3[1].jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 107
  • TOS stuff.jpg
    TOS stuff.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 103

Attachments

• 8BE0F563-34B2-42C2-B020-2588E18F0068.jpeg
    8BE0F563-34B2-42C2-B020-2588E18F0068.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 99

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back