Alleged Screen Used Hero TOS Phaser up for auction (now the aftermath)

Nothing beyond Heritage Auction's co-Founder Jim Halperin having been previously fined $1.2m for deliberately manipulating a collector's market.
I watched the video that was shared a few pages back... disturbing stuff. The idea that a shill purchased the HA phaser props seems more & more likely. Also, according to HA's EULA -- their claims of authenticity aren't transferred when a prop is re-sold.

Also, according to HA's EULA -- their claims of authenticity aren't transferred when a prop is re-sold.
Wait... WHAT?!

trek there she is.gif

Yeah, I looked it up a when this undocumented prop sold based ONLY on the word of unnamed experts.

From a PDF buried deep in the HA website:
MEMORABILIA & HISTORICAL TERM A: Signature® Auctions of Autographs, Sports Collectibles, Music, Entertainment, Political, Americana, Vintage Movie Posters and Pop Culture memorabilia are not on approval. When the lot is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity (or its equivalent) from a third-party authentication provider, buyer has no right of return.
MEMORABILIA & HISTORICAL TERM B: On any lot presented with a Letter of Authenticity (“LOA”) issued by Auctioneer or its Heritage affiliates, that warranty inures only to the original purchaser (as shown in Auctioneer’s records) “Purchaser”. Purchaser may not transfer the rights afforded under the LOA and it is null and void when Purchaser transfers or attempts to transfer the lot.
Term C is awesome, I wish I could use Term C. Hey you know all that stuff our experts say?
MEMORABILIA & HISTORICAL TERM C: As authenticity and provenance are not warranted, if a Bidder intends to challenge, authenticity or provenance of a lot he must notify Auctioneer in writing within thirty-five (35) days of the Auction’s conclusion. Any claim as to provenance or authenticity must be first transmitted to Auctioneer by credible and definitive evidence or the opine of a qualified third-party expert and there is no assurance after such presentment that Auctioneer will validate the claim.
HA used a bunch of misleading screenshots of the phasers to make the P1 & P2 look real:
MEMORABILIA & HISTORICAL TERM I: Screen Shot. Screen shots included in the catalog or on the Heritage Internet are provided for reference only. Important Notice: Many identical versions of props and costumes are created for film and television productions in the normal course of a production. Heritage does not warrant or represent that the screen shots referenced are exact images of the offered item (unless specifically noted in the written description). Use of a screen shot does not constitute a warranty or representation of authenticity or provenance. There is not a right of return or refund based upon a claim arising out of or pertaining to any reference to a screen shot.

So yeah, the only claims of authenticity that matter are LOAs (and then only some LOAs). But those guarantees don't get transferred if the items are resold. So, this auction pumps up the value & the next sucker who buys them can't do anything about the fact that the P1 & P2 are, almost certainly, FAAAKE!

EDIT:
I attached the entire document.

Attachments

• terms-and-conditions.pdf
    345.9 KB · Views: 101
I am now 100% convinced that the auction piece is a forgery, even if we don't know all the details. The physical evidence alone (the commercially-available metal parts, non-Wah construction techniques, and the direct copying of the Jein's phaser's specific details) was pretty much already enough, but the subsequent information to come out (HC's sudden about-face after receiving legal threats, the ongoing revelations about shady auction practices, etc.) should clinch it for any doubters, here.

What matters now is remaining vigilant, because more forgeries like this will surely show up in the future, as STAR TREK's old guard ages out, and the scammers make their last big push to profit from it.

So, for those of you just tuning in...

Let's get you up to speed.

TMP = The Menace Phantom

"Subvert your expectations," - reference to total derailment of a franchise and everything their legitimate fanbase may have held dear

TWOK = an onomatopoeia sound effect in comics, similar to the TWIPP once found in Spiderman comics, before he died or became a girl.

Coke = a soft drink with only three true forms, that jph is auctioning off for (currently) nearly 41cents. If it breaks 50 cents, Ima gunna ask the purchaser to pay shipping!

$1.2 million = the price one has to pay to raise awareness of the value of a terrifically over priced item!

Phaser = how much pause a dishonest person gives when knowingly claiming a fake item is actually legitimate

Coke = auction up to 42 cents, I may retire!

Hero Phaser = thirty seven individually, hand-made weapon props that may or may not have been used in the original Star Trek series

Yodasburg Address = the effect of dropping two socks filled with butterscotch puddling off a five-story tower

TMP = The Menace Phantom

"Subvert your expectations," - reference to total derailment of a franchise and everything their legitimate fanbase may have held dear

TWOK = an onomatopoeia sound effect in comics, similar to the TWIPP once found in Spiderman comics, before he died or became a girl.

Coke = a soft drink with only three true forms, that jph is auctioning off for (currently) nearly 41cents. If it breaks 50 cents, Ima gunna ask the purchaser to pay shipping!

$1.2 million = the price one has to pay to raise awareness of the value of a terrifically over priced item!

Phaser = how much pause a dishonest person gives when knowingly claiming a fake item is actually legitimate

Hero Phaser = thirty seven individually, hand-made weapon props that may or may not have been used in the original Star Trek series

Yodasburg Address = the effect of dropping two socks filled with butterscotch puddling off a five-story tower

"TWOK out with your Spock out"

TMP = The Menace Phantom

Best post of the entire thread.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back