All Things Virtual Reality

Now, I'm gonna have to get Beat Saber. And possibly Thrill Of The Fight.

So, I can't speak for how good a work out beat saber is, but it sure as heck counts as cardio. I went and looked up what I needed to do to have something count as cardio (heart rate, blood pressure, etc) did my pre gaming measurements, then post game measurements, and I was solidly up in cardio land. I don't play it often enough to see any results from it though, so I haven't "tested" that part of things :p

the idea of the boxing game is interesting, but I picked up the CREED boxing game when it was on sale, and haven't personally been impressed. I'm sure it could be done better than it is in creed, I just don't know if the one they mention actually does. the game play was pretty stale, and consisted more of getting shafted by the in game stamina mechanic, rather than relying on real world speed and personal stamina.

In creed, an over the guard hair tussle motion counts as a hay-maker, but if you try and throw a proper punch after that, you're "out of stamina" and it does not damage the opponent for dick (same as if you try for a follow up after a real punching motion). Creed does not encourage vigorous motion.

Yea I was playing Dirt Rally on mine and it was insane, but made me want a full setup. Xbox controller really doesn't cut it
Are you running a racing rig? I gave up on VR racing sims until I can afford to put together at least a proper wheel/pedal/shifter setup.
Tell me it's as awesome as I imagine.

Something to keep in mind to help out with putting together a car set up, may actually be a flight sim rig. I've put together one of these rogerdoger flight sim PVC stands, and I'm certain with some tweaks to how you put it together, you could get it to work very nicely as car racing frame to hold a wheel, shifter, and pedals.

Are you running a racing rig? I gave up on VR racing sims until I can afford to put together at least a proper wheel/pedal/shifter setup.
Tell me it's as awesome as I imagine.
So I use the play seat challenge, with a Logitech G920. I had to modify the play seat to keep the pedals from slipping. I just drilled a hole and put in a screw. It is overall a very nice compact set up I can take down and put up in my home office so we can still use the office chair to do actual work on the computer. I really enjoy iracing. Every now and again there are a few yahoo's on it who make it not great but that is just par for the course in online gaming.

I can't wait for Alyx. I already have the index controllers so I get the game free! I am half tempted to get the Index before it comes out for the full experience. The game looks to have great physics, which if folks remember was one of the defining things in the original Half-Life games.

I just downloaded Half-Life: Alyx.

Good Lord, this is gorgeous!

I won't spoil it, but the opening scene is a rooftop. I didn't go very far in the plot because I just spent a half hour just sitting there, taking in the environment and every detail before even leaving the building to advance the plot.

I would love to have a private place of my own just like that - the roof, the study, the halls - even with all the junk and disarray. I love that place. I didn't want to leave.

I just downloaded Half-Life: Alyx.

Good Lord, this is gorgeous!

I won't spoil it, but the opening scene is a rooftop. I didn't go very far in the plot because I just spent a half hour just sitting there, taking in the environment and every detail before even leaving the building to advance the plot.

I would love to have a private place of my own just like that - the roof, the study, the halls - even with all the junk and disarray. I love that place. I didn't want to leave.

I've seen a GIF image of someone's math teacher using the game to teach his class while they're in quarantine (basically using a window as a dry-erase board). XD

I've seen a GIF image of someone's math teacher using the game to teach his class while they're in quarantine (basically using a window as a dry-erase board). XD
That's brilliant. I'll bet he positioned himself so he was touching a real wall for the tactile feedback.

Last edited:
Half-Life Alyx is a perfect example of what VR games need to be. I am glad Valve took the time to make the game right. It is the first game I have played that didn't feel like a tech demo. You know those games where the programmers put all their effort into some stupid gimmick (Boneworks).

Instead it is well balanced and they didn't loose one bit of the Half-Life experience. In fact it greatly increases the Half-Life universe. Some of the new enemies have that perfect feel that only Valve can do. They made a few unique enemies that you have never seen in any other game, and were perfect for VR gameplay. The world is one of the best. My only issue really was the sometimes off scale of real world objects.

Apparently I took 9 hours to complete the game. I played about one load section at a time.

Half-Life Alyx is a perfect example of what VR games need to be. I am glad Valve took the time to make the game right. It is the first game I have played that didn't feel like a tech demo. You know those games where the programmers put all their effort into some stupid gimmick (Boneworks).

Instead it is well balanced and they didn't loose one bit of the Half-Life experience. In fact it greatly increases the Half-Life universe. Some of the new enemies have that perfect feel that only Valve can do. They made a few unique enemies that you have never seen in any other game, and were perfect for VR gameplay. The world is one of the best. My only issue really was the sometimes off scale of real world objects.

Apparently I took 9 hours to complete the game. I played about one load section at a time.

I've played some of Half-Life: Alyx thanks to my Dad. It's got a lot of promise, hopefully a lot of game companies will start to consider making Triple-A VR games.

Who here has tried the Iron Man VR demo?

I've only seen the video for it.

It looks like there's a new tech architecture coming called XR, which is basically a combination of VR and AR. Apparently, Qualcomm is involved with it. Here's a video about:

As I've mentioned in the Ready Player Two thread, I've purchased and received an Oculus Quest 2. I figured it'd be a good step up from my WMR headset. I still need to get a cable for it to do the PCVR gaming with but have already looked at some videos about it. Here they are for those who have decided to get them this Christmas.

If/when the price comes down, this has the possibility to revolutionize vehicle based VR games and apps. I'd love to see an arcade, of sorts, with these, sort of like the old Battletech facilities. You could do so much with these with the right programming, a decent sized facility, and modest price per play.

Those are cool. I'd personally rather have the omnidirecitonal treadmills pan out ASAP though. I'd love to get cardio from playing borderlands or something. lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back