All Things Virtual Reality

I don't contest that you lose tracking behind your body with inside-out, but honestly, having used a Santa Cruz pretty much every day since November, it's such a non-issue that the average consumer won't notice. We've actually seen more problems with holding the controllers too close to your face than we have moving them from behind your back. Furthermore, given that Beat Saber is coming to Quest, that alone will attest to the whole "swinging a controller out from behind you" being OK with inside-out - because that movement had so many issues on Rift with just the front-facing cameras, and why lots of competitive Beat Saber players moved to 360 setups on Rift.

Inside-out is the future. Outside-in is a huge blocker to general adoption because your average-joe won't want to faff around setting up sensors.

How in the world did you get your hands on an oculus quest?

This guy also did a video about spending a week in VR (similar to how Wade does at the start of the Level 3 portion of Ready Player One by Ernest Cline). This time, he does 24 hours in VR Minecraft.

Nefarious dark-web purchase...

...but seriously, I'm a VR developer (well, a developer who works in part with VR), so we tend to get kit fairly early.
Yes, I'm also a high-end Oculus Developer, and I have not been able to get my hands on a Engineering Sample, I would like to try the new guardian system, and find ways to implement it into a couple of undisclosed games, that the company I work for develops. Oculus wants developers to develop on the rift. thats why I am so confused on how you managed to get an Oculus Quest.

good god if you guy's work in opposite cubical's i'm gonna blast you both in my own personal VR game... BRING US THE FUTURE...:lol:

Yes, I'm also a high-end Oculus Developer, and I have not been able to get my hands on a Engineering Sample, I would like to try the new guardian system, and find ways to implement it into a couple of undisclosed games, that the company I work for develops. Oculus wants developers to develop on the rift. thats why I am so confused on how you managed to get an Oculus Quest.

Oculus want cross-platform titles, they're basically begging every moderately successful title developer from the last 3 years to port their games to Quest, so if you contact the DR guys and tell them that you might have more luck.

To be honest, I've seen very hit-and-miss deployment of the dev kits. We are lucky enough to have had 3 pretty successful (including 1 top-10) VR games now, and have had a proactive relationship with them for the last 5 years, so they seem to just send us stuff (case in point, we got a couple of Rift S units a few days ago). Same with HTC and Valve. I've also seen some really bad handling of devrel by them - go and look at what happened to some devs last week who have been working on Quest ports for existing titles - Oculus happily gave them Santa Cruz to do the port, and then pulled the rug out from under them and said they weren't going to facilitate the title's release.

If you have specific questions that I can answer without breaking NDA too badly, feel free to DM me.

I expected it to be $1000
I might order the controllers. I can wait on the headset until their landmark VR title is announced, and I get laser eye surgery so I can actually enjoy the extra FOV.

Just got the oculus quest today and played through Vader immortal. So far I’m liking this system a lot. The minimal sacrifice in graphics for completely untethered vr is totally worth it. Especially for the price.

It's not that I don't appreciate wielding a lightsaber in VR - I think it's great. But when the heck is someone going to do blasters in VR? VR games have gotten pretty good with modern pistols, subguns and rifles so it shouldn't be that hard to get an E-11 blaster in my hands. Let's get it done, developers!

I forgot to mention this (sorry on my behalf). I actually bought a WMR headset and controllers second hand, and have upgraded my graphics card. I've been playing around with a lot of the free VR programs like VRChat, Bigscreeen and OASIS Beta. I haven't yet bought a VR Game, but have been looking at potentials (including the Rick and Morty VR game). Been enjoying it too. Got to let my dad try it out, he couldn't help but laugh bat how trippy it was to him and got to play a little bit of Gauntlet in OASIS Beta. I've been following the WMR subreddit and am wondering if maybe I caught it on the tail end of it's lifespan. But, I only paid $140 for the set (still cheaper than buying new) and my Dad upgraded his graphics card to play some of the newer games, so my previous was a step from his old one.

I forgot to mention this (sorry on my behalf). I actually bought a WMR headset and controllers second hand, and have upgraded my graphics card. I've been playing around with a lot of the free VR programs like VRChat, Bigscreeen and OASIS Beta. I haven't yet bought a VR Game, but have been looking at potentials (including the Rick and Morty VR game). Been enjoying it too. Got to let my dad try it out, he couldn't help but laugh bat how trippy it was to him and got to play a little bit of Gauntlet in OASIS Beta. I've been following the WMR subreddit and am wondering if maybe I caught it on the tail end of it's lifespan. But, I only paid $140 for the set (still cheaper than buying new) and my Dad upgraded his graphics card to play some of the newer games, so my previous was a step from his old one.
Welcome to VR. Bigscreen is a core app that everyone should have. Also download Google Earth. It's an immersive VR version of Google Maps. But it's amazing with a lot of the locations that are reconstructed from satellite images. Major landmarks are in incredible detail. I've spent hours at the Grand Canyon or walking/flying through Monument Valley. I've stood on Mt. Everest and stood at the base of the ****** statue in Rio De Janeiro. I've "flown" to random towns in the US immersed in the 360 street view in VR. I had VR visits to countless exotic places: Mumbai, Cordoba, Grenada, ... Detroit....

Bigscreen actually came in super useful to me a while back. The TV I use as my monitor died, so while I was waiting for my replacement, I could turn on the computer, wait till I knew it was logged in, then put on the Rift. Rift software started up automatically, then I went into Bigscreen and could just use my computer mostly like normal hah

On Bigscreen have you ever hopped into someone else's public broadcast? I suddenly found myself in a living room and a couple of other avatars look at me, "Oh. Hi! How's it going?" With VR it's really freaky.

Actually, I have. It's actually not the creepiest thing I've encountered entering a Bigscreen room.

Purchased my first VR game yesterday: Killing Floor: Incursion. I've played the regular Killing Floor and Killing Floor 2. Haven't gotten the chance to play it yet. I also purchased this VR machinima tool called Tvori that I wanted to try out. I came across it in this video:

Hah, no I never joined anyone elses room, but everytime I went on there was like Game of Thrones or netflix watch parties going on, which is pretty sick

My Oculus Rift my wife got me a few years ago for Hanukkah is awesome in my iracing game.
Are you running a racing rig? I gave up on VR racing sims until I can afford to put together at least a proper wheel/pedal/shifter setup.
Tell me it's as awesome as I imagine.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back