All Metal/Aluminum R2D1 Droid Ep 1 90% Oh Yea

Re: All Metal/Aluminum R2D1 Droid Ep 1

I did a lot of searching about those buttons...found some images from ANH of droids with buttons on front, back, or one leg with each. I took creative license...and now I forget which I ended up with....but I'm sure there is a "builder's standard".

I hesitated posting this because Im in the same boat......but your legs are reversed.:lol Unless you know something I dont ( and I wouldnt be surprised!), aren't the two little round 'buttons' on the outer shoulders supposed to be in front? Or does the red droid have them in back?

Anyway gorgeous family! Gives me inspiration to finish mine.

Yea I know something you don't then, (Kidding) My R2D2s are ANH R2s in a ANH the buttons are in the front of the horse shoes, ESB the shoulder Hydrolic is in the front and the same for the rest of the films, as well as The Red R2D1 from Ep I,
Here is a Reference Screen grab from each film. But no worries thanks for the concern. And if they where reversed ( which they're not all you would need to do is switch the Horse shoes takes about 5 minutes. here are the pics. ( I live and Breath Star Wars )
AL
ANH R2D2:
anhr2.jpg

ESB R2D2:
esbr2.jpg

ROTJ R2D2:
rotjr2.jpg

EP I R2D2:
epir2.jpg

EP II R2D2:
epiir2.jpg

EP III R2D2:
epiiir2.jpg

EP III R2D1:
epiiir2d1.jpg

Last edited:

Well drives are all finished, Casters installed in front foot, motor drive boards and remote next, here he is with his brother, R2D2&R2D1. So fun!!!!!!!
Oh Yea more weathering to come!!!!!!
Al
r2d2r2d11.jpg

r2d2r2d13.jpg

r2d2r2d14.jpg

Took some shots of my Static R2D2 also here he is!!!
studiostatic7.jpg

studiostatic1.jpg

studiostatic10.jpg

Thanks for the pics Blastmaster. So now I know that the legs get swapped from episode to episode. Now I dont feel so bad for having mine reversed also. But do they get swapped from scene to scene in the same episode????? Im kidding, Im sure they probably have. Its not like there are stormtroopers with wrong armor parts hitting their heads things......:lol

Man....... They are ****ing amazing!

Do you sleep? How long does it take you to build one of those things? I have always wanted a full working remote R2 unit.... I know I had better get saving......

I suppose the speed of the build also depends on how deep my pockets are and how quick I can mass the materials?

I think for the sake of my wife I will put the R2 project on hold until I get a bigger house... Being in a two bed flat just doesn't cut it. As patient as she is putting up with Trooper armour all over the place and Vaders etc..... My marriage is worth more....:)

love your droids mate - all the grime and dirt on them just makes them pop, unlike most of the other R2 builders club droids, where most people simply don't have the guts to actually slap some dirt on their beloved astromechs. Makes them look like giant toy robots... come to think of it, even Hasbro have started making their figures dirty... :D

Again, great job on these!

love your droids mate - all the grime and dirt on them just makes them pop, unlike most of the other R2 builders club droids, where most people simply don't have the guts to actually slap some dirt on their beloved astromechs. Makes them look like giant toy robots... come to think of it, even Hasbro have started making their figures dirty... :D

Again, great job on these!

I am so with you, They look cheap when they are clean, with some weathering they have depth, Also a lot of the guys paint both layers of skins white I just paint the out side skin so the metal shows through the cuts. I can't wait to get the D1 in the garage so I can finish his dirt!!!!
Thanks everyone, I love these guys, and My wife and kids do too, Thank goodness. Take care everyone, More pics in a week when he is finished.
AL

People (that's other builders) are actually rolling eyes behind my back about my dirty droid. Some say "no that's not for me" openly, but I've also had people go "it may look good on pictures, but it's sooo over the top" when they thought I wasn't listening - and yet compared to most screen used droids, mine isn't even half as dirty :D

People (that's other builders) are actually rolling eyes behind my back about my dirty droid. Some say "no that's not for me" openly, but I've also had people go "it may look good on pictures, but it's sooo over the top" when they thought I wasn't listening - and yet compared to most screen used droids, mine isn't even half as dirty :D

I want to see a picture of your droid, Lets see some Dirt!!!!!!!
Here is My boy in his Anakin costume and Both of my remote droids, I finished weathering the R2D1 He is a little dirtier than the film but I love it!!!!
anakinr2d2r2d1.jpg

I love these droids they look great, I would love to have one, but I think that I would need to machine most of the parts myself to keep the costs down, not sure how possible this is.
I know that some plans are online, just not sure how comprehensive they are.
But if I were to make one I would probably make the death star one, is it R2-Q5?

Craig

I agree... the only good droid is a dirty droid! :lol
These are mechanics, the swiss army knives of the droid world so they must have dirt and oil and carbon scoring!!! my weathering is a little more subtle but I'm thinking of throwing the bucket on him soon after seeing the above droids!

mine is 96.3% done :)

R2Progress3leggedMode.jpg

ArtooRearPanelDetail.jpg

I want to see a picture of your droid, Lets see some Dirt!!!!!!!
Here is My boy in his Anakin costume and Both of my remote droids, I finished weathering the R2D1 He is a little dirtier than the film but I love it!!!!

You droids look awesome I hope mine turns out half as good and I personally love the weathered look. I plan on weathering my static droid for sure!

I realize this is a super old thread, but I just havta give you some props on your weathering - very realistic - great color and I like the gradient from bottom to top and the 'less is more' on the scratches/missing paint:)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back