All Metal/Aluminum R2D1 Droid Ep 1 90% Oh Yea

blastmaster

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have been working on my All metal/Aluminum R2D1 for a couple of months and he is close to being finished, I'll build and install the drives this week, Motor controls next weekend, a little more weathering, hoses for feet and he'll be there, a couple of weeks and he'll be running around!!!! Here are a few pics.
My Droid List:
Remote R2D2
Two Leg Static R2D2
Remote R2D1
All my best,
AL
r2d11.jpg

r2d12.jpg

r2d14.jpg

r2d15.jpg

r2d16.jpg

Last edited:
Re: All Metal/Aluminum R2D1 Droid Ep 1

Oh wow, that is amazing.

Do you have any schematics that you follow for it ?

Very interested in making one of my own.

What processes did you use?

Did you machine it and do free form sheet metal work? It looks great man, just wondering how much that set you back.

What processes did you use?

Did you machine it and do free form sheet metal work? It looks great man, just wondering how much that set you back.

Like Lan Jenn Said You can join up over at R2Builders group at Yahoo, But I prefer astromech.net, For me i like the way astromech is laid out easier for me to follow, Just go join up and start reading, I got some parts off of the Astromech sight, and some I made and some from a friend in the UK. There is all the reasurch you need at those two builders sights. Happy building!!!
Here's a shot of my R2D2 with the Static one in the back ground!!!
Thanks for all the compliments!!
AL
r2andr22.jpg

UGH - How have you only been working on this for a few months? I've been collecting pieces for years now.

Those are really amazing r2's (y)thumbsup

Please let me know if you have any extra alum. parts laying around or if you have a source other than astromech's junkyard/ run's for parts.

I hesitated posting this because Im in the same boat......but your legs are reversed.:lol Unless you know something I dont ( and I wouldnt be surprised!), aren't the two little round 'buttons' on the outer shoulders supposed to be in front? Or does the red droid have them in back?

Anyway gorgeous family! Gives me inspiration to finish mine.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back