All Metal: Aliens M41A Pulse Rifle

Jamie Staff, you are a true maker. I have watched so many of your videos and am just in awe at this project.

The Pulse Rifle "grenade launcher's" slide and cage is from a Fanchi SPAS-12 shot gun?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a Quick to through out there...... Any thoughts.... Pistlegrip Handle.... Wood or not ??

It’s from an M1A1 Thompson, dont know if it was manufactured by Auto Ordnance or not on the real one, but Auto Ordnance M1A1s had wood pistol grips. The Pulse Rifle though appears to have a somewhat flattened pistol grip, so it could have been custom-shaped (or have been from a non-Auto Ordnance Thompson).

I thinking of using a darkened red cedar

It’s from an M1A1 Thompson, dont know if it was manufactured by Auto Ordnance or not on the real one, but Auto Ordnance M1A1s had wood pistol grips. The Pulse Rifle though appears to have a somewhat flattened pistol grip, so it could have been custom-shaped (or have been from a non-Auto Ordnance Thompson).

I thinking of using a darkened red cedar

That is a good call I think. In this photo are two Lend Lease return parts kits (without their receivers) from Britain. The bottom one is an M1A1, which would have been the exact kind used for the original Pulse Rifle. The wood and coloring look the color you are talking about... provided the grips werent changed for the final iterations.
24663C23-931D-4FDC-A0BB-72C987FB9BFD.jpeg

I have a live fire all metal PR. I did what, I believe, the original makers did, flat sand the sides and use a small file to file in the grooves. it looks the part 100%.

For whats its worth, Monsters in Motion (circa 2000) had a PR kit that used an actual Thompson M1A to make resin parts. So basically you got a resin perfect copy of a real Thompson. I used it to make my first PR, then upgraded parts over years until......I have 4 of them. I dont know all of your laws, but can you get any real parts?

Last edited:
Sounds pretty sweet... Any pix for my reference folder ? :p

I have a live fire all metal PR. I did what, I believe, the original makers did, flat sand the sides and use a small file to file in the grooves. it looks the part 100%.

For whats its worth, Monsters in Motion (circa 2000) had a PR kit that used an actual Thompson M1A to make resin parts. So basically you got a resin perfect copy of a real Thompson. I used it to make my first PR, then upgraded parts over years until......I have 4 of them. I dont know all of your laws, but can you get any real parts?

So that looks like the covers are vacuum formed?

The page says:
Physical Description

Comprises original modified (now deactivated) M1 Thompson sub-machine gun with modified cage and pump grip from a Franchi SPAS 12 shotgun, as well as various parts fabricated by Bapty & Co.

Vacuum-formed painted shroud (originally metal, replaced for Alien 3 with this version, painted black)
Metal barrel vent, barrel support, and sliding stock
Wooden grip and faux magazine base-plate

SPAS-12 heat shield is filled with black expanded foam and a faux grenade launcher barrel, as this prop never featured a firing shotgun.

I also found this article: https://royalarmouries.org/stories/popular-culture/collecting-cultures-m-41a-aliens-pulse-rifle/

So their one was one of the ones used in Aliens and then had its metal covers swapped out for vacuum formed ones for Alien 3, and later repainted back to its more Aliens colour scheme.

In this video I work out the plan for the newly arrived 3D Print of the M41A and figger out what parts will be cast in aluminium and what part are going to be built from scratch.

PS: Is anyone eles have probs editing videos in Youtube, finding a please come back later reror when trying to add end screen stuff, been getting around it by using explorer, so I guess it's a Chrome bug ??

:) My son said that this was some Rainman ***** and I should have put it up as an outtake..... So here you go.....

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back