Alita - from Gunnm to Battle Angel

wayouteast

Sr Member
I recently finished detailing and painting up a nice 1/6 scale resin kit of Alita from last year's (criminally underrated) Alita: Battle Angel movie in her 'berserker' body. I thought it would be nice to show her off alongside a very old model of her in her original manga/ OVA incarnation which I've had in my collection for years.

The recent 1/6 scale model is a resin cast of what's obviously a 3D printed original. There were quite noticieable layer striations which all had to be filled/sanded smooth. That inevitably also removed some of the finer detail and texture, so there was a lot of work to recreate that - especially the ribbed panels and the 'airtex' style inserts in her jumpsuit. I also did a fair bit of accurising on the mechanical details of her shoulders and arms. Her 'damascus blade' also needed some work.

I think all in all it makes for a great finished piece, though, and at a cost considerably less that the Prime statue! The likeness is pretty good too.

The smaller (1/8-ish) Gunm version is a resin kit I've seen various versions of over the years, some where she's wearing her signature trenchcoat. Mine came without the coat option, sadly, but I don't mind since the 'jumpsuit version' shows off her cyborg nature better! I scratchbuilt the 'butterfly knife' style damascus blade she uses in the manga/OVA.

They're displayed along with three props from the movie I've recreated: Alita's Hunter-Warrior ID, her Motorball pitpass, and - of course - her chocolate! :D

IMG_4663.JPG IMG_4667.JPG IMG_4671.JPG IMG_4672.JPG IMG_4503.JPG

There's also room for a couple more 1/6 scale models of her which are hopefully on the way - one in her first, more decorative body, and one in her Motorball tryout armour.

Looks like you got rid of the printlines :) Those looks ace, really like Alita as well. I thought it was a pretty good adaptation as far as Anime/Hollywood goes. Looking forward to the "Cowboy Bebop" series the most.

I have 2 really great looking models I intend to print of Alita, but I am waiting on a resin printer for some of the parts. I don't really have a problem with FDM except for overhangs and I have not found a good way to print those beatiful arms on the "Alita Project" one without sacrificing detail or quality in some way.

"Alita Project"
3D Printable Alita project by Surachai Junyeaw by Surachai Junyeaw

Motorball Alita
Motorball Alita by Toshi_TNE by Alejandro Argandona "Toshi_TNE" (who btw has done some absolutely stunning busts of movie characters)

Looks like you got rid of the printlines :) Those looks ace, really like Alita as well. I thought it was a pretty good adaptation as far as Anime/Hollywood goes. Looking forward to the "Cowboy Bebop" series the most.

I have 2 really great looking models I intend to print of Alita, but I am waiting on a resin printer for some of the parts. I don't really have a problem with FDM except for overhangs and I have not found a good way to print those beatiful arms on the "Alita Project" one without sacrificing detail or quality in some way.

"Alita Project"
3D Printable Alita project by Surachai Junyeaw by Surachai Junyeaw

Motorball Alita
Motorball Alita by Toshi_TNE by Alejandro Argandona "Toshi_TNE" (who btw has done some absolutely stunning busts of movie characters)

Yes. I absolutely love Cowboy Bebop, so I really hope the live-action version does it justice. I've been a huge fan of Gunnm since it first became available in translation, and the film more than met my expectations. It's now in my 'top five' SF movies... I really thought it was that good.

That model by Surachai Junyeaw is beautiful. The one I'm hopefully getting soon (once it arrives in the UK after a loooooooooong journey surface mail from Hongkong) is this one from Marco Art .

Hmmm. The Motorball armour one I'm also waiting for is definitely printed from Alejandro Argandona's files. It's a really terrific model.

It would be great is someone produced a model of her third body in the movie - the heavy-duty Moterball-specific one she's in in the final scene of the film. Although it's not seen for that long or in great detail. There is one out there, but it's not brilliant.

Thanks for the kind words! :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back