Alita: Battle Angel

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by alienscollection.com, Oct 14, 2015.

1. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

2. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

It's about time.

3. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Panzerkunst action on the big screen!

4. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Conflicted over this given how badly live action movies based on anime tend to be when made in the US and frankly after Avatar my faith in Cameron has gone down.

5. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I hear the sequel will be about a supreme court justice -- Alito: Battle Justice.

Riceball and Wes R like this.
  6. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I'm amazed at how many of these really old anime/manga properties are suddenly coming to the us. There's a cartoon on adult swim that i remember being a comic back in 1997/98 and suddenly it's a new anime.

7. The Terminator

The Terminator Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Que?? Cameron is NOT going to direct Battle Angel??? :wacko
    He's been saying he would for.... forever? :lol oooh kay

I'm guessing after Avatar 4 he will do another documentary.... "James Cameron goes to Mars" probably. NASA obviously can't so... :popcorn

Father and Riceball like this.
  8. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Co-produced with Sir Richard Branson.

9. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fingers crossed for a live-action Kanuka Clancy NYPD Patlabor movie :)

Riceball likes this.
  10. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

I'm the last person to shred your dreams, but every anime adaption has been turned to $ħIŧ

11. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Elysium muddied the waters a bit by stealing some of Alita's core concepts (e.g. Tiphires and class division) and twisting them into something more sophomoric and banal.

12. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

13. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

Well, that's unfortunate.

Darth Lars and Noeland like this.
  14. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Indeed.

15. Cookiee Monsta

Cookiee Monsta Well-Known Member

YESH!! All kinds of bad!

16. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

17. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Uppercase WTF.

18. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So is the rational "well anime eyes are big!"?
    cause...wow

CT1138 likes this.
  19. Darth Lars

Yeah, because the uncanny big eyes is how you bring that anime feel to a movie ... :facepalm

Best comment on the Youtube video so far IMHO:
    "Couldn't they just hire Emma Stone?" :lol

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Thain, dascoyne and DaddyfromNaboo like this.
  20. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I do wonder if some story simply do not work as live action movies but only in other media. And if so, why. I can´t wrap my head around it atm, but I guess it has something to do with the suspension of disbelief. Maybe if we accept ONE version of a story and the world that it happens in including the set rules, we can´t transpose that experience onto another version.

21. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

The eyes weirded me out at first but I can understand that it’s pretty much how she looked in the manga. I would expect to really hate on this but, as a fan of the manga, I’m actually really impressed at how faithful a lot of the shots looked compared to the way the art was paneled in the comics (e.g. her new arms). When I saw that it’s Robert Rodriguez directing it all made sense. Rodriguez is a comic artist himself and did that great adaptation of Sin City (the good one). He knows how to visually translate comics to screen verbatim like nobody else. If you know the comics this actually looks really good. I just hope I can get over the eyes.

Riceball likes this.
  22. harrisonp

harrisonp Well-Known Member

I understand that she's an android/non-human, but I'm really tired of these uncanny cgi faces that continue to populate movies lately. I would like to see these stories told where I don't have to suspend disbelief and look past a rubber face, no matter how well done it is. I will probably see the movie because it looks like interesting sci-fi in spite of those decisions.

23. Darth Lars

In the manga and anime, everyone was drawn in a manga style.

BTW, I wish they made this movie five-ten years ago starring Christina Ricci. She (had) got the right look for the character without any CGI -- and already got an aura about her of being dangerous and adorable at the same time which would fit right in.
    Although ... where as now people compare this movie to Ghost In The Shell, a few years ago people would have compared it to anything with Summer Glau. :p

DaddyfromNaboo and Riceball like this.
  24. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Since Elysium ripped off the manga shamelessly in concept and design there might also be some comparison there.

It seems they're grabbing material from at least the first 4 volumes. That's a bit of a shame. Her gradual evolution as a character across the volumes is one of the things I liked best about the manga. If they're trying to cram all 9 of the first volumes of the first series it'll be a mess. I wish they would have just stuck to the first 1-2 volumes because there's plenty of story there alone.

Then again I never thought Zack could fit Watchmen into a single movie but he did (even if the story was somewhat corrupted).

But most importantly the action, violence and horror should be as hyperbolic as they are in the manga otherwise it'll be a total waste. I would expect a hard "R" or "unrated" if that were the case. If it's "PG-13" I might just rent it instead.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Riceball likes this.
  25. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

This trailer is looking better. It’s looking a lot like the manga which is a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    JPH likes this.
  26. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

I just don't understand their decision to Roger Rabbit this.
    I'd be much more interested if it was a real person instead of a cartoon.

27. Boba Debt

Boba Debt Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I guess this is for people like me, I only have a cursory understanding of manga and was never even remotely interested in reading any of it.

However, I may see this movie at the theater which is saying something becuase I only do thast 2-3 times a year.

28. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not seeing any Motorball in that trailer. I predict a GITS style weak sauce adaption. Mangas are generally too deep or too weird for Hollywood, and BAA is really just Alita/Gally's life and adventures with no concise plotline.

29. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Think I'll stick with the anime.

30. Kovnyn

Kovnyn Sr Member

I'm not at all familiar with this particular Manga, so I have no preconceptions. I think it looks decent, and I'll go out on a limb here and say this is more like what Ghost in the Shell should have been.

31. alexa0ne

alexa0ne Jr Member

This is one of the films that I look forward to watching this December. The trailer itself looks interesting, I just hope that they will correct the release date that they post on the trailer in YT and in google.

32. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

OK this is looking better after this trailer.

I don't know how they're going to depict her panzer kunst. The manga depicts beautiful static shots of her tumbling in mid-air where it's impossible to work out her actual physical mechanics. I think it would be a cop-out if they only had her doing only fast martial arts moves. I hope RR finds a credible way to work in some of those bizarre moves.

latest?cb=20130518061804.jpg

BA01-126.jpg

And if they can’t portray the gore I want there to be an unrated director’s cut in 4K to be released.

D3F2835E-2799-420B-A52F-D67A979373D6.jpeg

33. Nth

Nth Well-Known Member

If anyone is interested the original 1993 anime is also up on youtube. Only an hour long but I remember really liking it as a kid.

34. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

The manga is much deeper than the anime. The anime doesn't do it justice.

35. CT1138

CT1138 Sr Member

Those eyes are freaking creepy AF.

Axlotl likes this.
  36. niennumb1

niennumb1 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER