Aliens Facehugger build questions

dropshipbob

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I built one of these years ago and I'm thinking of trying some new methods on a current second build, would these work?

1-I'm thinking of inserting a metal rod into the tail and filling it with sand to keep the vinyl from "buckling" when it's bent.

2-If I seal the whole thing with future floor polish, will that make it water proof?

Well, I appreciate SOMEONE replying!:D

But seriously, I thought these questions were so easy I'd be hit with replies from all directions.

Not sure the whole sand thing would work aside from making it heavy.
For standard kits many folks fill in legs with plastic bags to keep them from warping over time, don't know it it would work in this case.

I've only used Future on canopies so can't help you on that one.

The sand making it heavy would probably work in my favor. I intend to place this in my stasis tube filled with water, the sand/weight would help keep it from floating to the top.

As for the Future turning yellow, that might not show on a facehugger due to it's fleshy color...but the cracking....yeah, that wouldn't be such a great thing.

I would use a flexible foam with the wire down the center. Here's a link to the foam. I have the vinyl face hugger myself , and will probably go this route myself.

http://www.smooth-on.com/Rigid-and-Flexible/c10/index.html

I'd use the flexible version of course, not the rigid, unless you just want to pose it once.

Where did you get the tube if you already have one, and did you have to sell your car to buy it ;) I looked for large plexi tube, but couldn't afford it on my budget, cheers,

Joe

If you’re going to place it in water I would have thought an enamel / solvent type lacquer would be more durable than a product which is water based.
Are you going to treat the water with a chemical to reduce the chance of bacteria growth? If so, depending what you use may also have an effect on the paint.
Probably worth trying a sample before risking your hard work.

I would use a flexible foam with the wire down the center. Here's a link to the foam. I have the vinyl face hugger myself , and will probably go this route myself.

http://www.smooth-on.com/Rigid-and-Flexible/c10/index.html

I'd use the flexible version of course, not the rigid, unless you just want to pose it once.

Where did you get the tube if you already have one, and did you have to sell your car to buy it ;) I looked for large plexi tube, but couldn't afford it on my budget, cheers,

Joe

There was what used to be called a "group purchase" on here. That's where a bunch of people get together and buy multiples of a product for a project. One such group buy was for parts for stasis tubes. Someone on here managed to get the right measurements and sent them to a company that could produce them, one of the parts was a clear tube that was sealed on one end. Thanks to another member we also got resin copies of the other parts that were needed so in the end, we had a stasis tube in kit form that was water tight and VERY screen accurate.

If you’re going to place it in water I would have thought an enamel / solvent type lacquer would be more durable than a product which is water based.
Are you going to treat the water with a chemical to reduce the chance of bacteria growth? If so, depending what you use may also have an effect on the paint.
Probably worth trying a sample before risking your hard work.

I had a facehugger in my water filled stasis tube once years ago and it did very well. There wasn't much I could do in the way of treating the water, although I did use distilled water to fill the tube. Algae did manage to grow in the water after a few years, but I felt this actually worked in my favor to highten the "alien lifeform" factor. The one prpblem I ran into was I had used Envirotex clear resin to coat the hugger to make it waterproof, but I missed a few spots. The water got into those areas and deformed the paint, making it bubble and lift. I went over the whole thing at least three times yet I still manages to miss some areas. I guess if I do that again, I'll have to go over it four or five times to be sure.

I'd be careful going this route unless you know the paint will totally shield the vinyl from the enamel. Enamel paint will leech out oils in the vinyl and you could end up with a sticky mess. I would seal it with an acrylic sealer first, which may be all you need in the first place.

Clutch, I didn't know there would be a reaction - always nice to learn something new!
Dropshipbob, if you wanted to, treating the water isn't difficult or expensive to do.
I've produced a number of commercial water features over the years and have used a powder additive which keeps the water clean for a couple of months before it needs changing, and which we buy from an aquatics supplier.

I shied away from treating the water because I didn't know what that would do to the finish on the facehugger or to the plastic of the tube.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back