Aliens Dropship Pilot Helmet

Thank you @Art Andrews - very useful information you are sharing. Found a few that I will order, but also a huge list that I still need to search for. I also feel that I will need to ... lol, build the Spunkmeyer's version. I like both of them. The hunt continues and hope you have more to share soon.

I have news.

I have searched the internet wide and far, up and down, for the bicycle pump hose that people have been using, which also could be the very original one found on the helmets. I contacted multiple members regarding the hose, but no one really knew anything about the manufacturer. Well, I found that information. The producer is Belvin, an Italian company. I bought 4 of them because I intend to produce both helmets. Why one when you can have two.

There is more good news. As I'm writing this, there are 2 left on ebay. But at least now everyone know what to look for :thumbsup

Here is the ebay link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181662982579

9934448-792-640x478.jpgBelvin bike hose No.137 - pump connectors 1.JPGBelvin bike hose No.137 - pump connectors 2.JPG

Last edited:
And now there are zero left ... lol, kinda had a feeling that would happen once I informed RPF about them ... ha ha

The Aliens Legacy Dropship Helmet tread is closed, so I cannot post anything there. But I am sure that members from there either know about this tread and/or are active here. So to all of you who contributed in that tread, thank you very much for all the details. Since I am atm the only one writing in this tread, I will post all of my progress and how things are done for them who want an in debt description besides what is found there and also in this tread. I know for one that I usually never get enough of details and how things are done, see it as a reboot of the tread :)

Time for a smal update.

As you know or maybe not, I am going to produce both helmets and last night, I did spend some time going over Spunkmeyer's helmet and the Hama cable. I can't find the source page for the info atm, but it goes as follow:

- Hama 5506 Camera grip with cable release 65 cm (Grip is the base for the welder; watch for metal mesh cable!). This is slightly wrong info. There is no 65 cm cable, however, there is a 50 cm cable that you can see by the evidence in this photo.

Link: http://www.alienscollection.com/welderreference.html

hamapistol.jpg

So that is the package where you get the base for the welder AND the cable for the optics unit. 50 cm Hama cable isn't that difficult to track down.

Another thing I did was to contact Ferranti regarding their sight unit and mount, so we'll see how that goes. Perhaps nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up on the cables. I am about to start work on my dropship helmet. I am going to be a little less picky about specific parts and am settling for resin casts of many items. I am also not going to chop up a vintage army SPH4 helmet but rather a much newer white one that has seen hard times. This cable info is def new to me and since I don't have those yet I will be looking for em.

Thanks for the heads up on the cables. I am about to start work on my dropship helmet. I am going to be a little less picky about specific parts and am settling for resin casts of many items. I am also not going to chop up a vintage army SPH4 helmet but rather a much newer white one that has seen hard times. This cable info is def new to me and since I don't have those yet I will be looking for em.
Kewl stuff, what ever makes you happy regarding the helmet. For the cable, there are other options. Just remember that the Cpl. Ferro need 2 x 25 cm, the Pvt. Spunkmeyer need 2 x 25 plus 1 x 40-50 cm.

Here is a pic showing some references and options. I might go for 5 x 5312 since that one is available at an okay price.

Dropship-helmet-release-cable.jpg

I have started to throw together a LOW budget drop ship pilot helmet, and as many of you can understand, being constrained by little time and limited monies, its not anywhere close to being accurate. But I thought I would share it any ways as perhaps something I come up with might help someone else along the way…. So I pick up ahelmet for just under $40.oo, a polaroid camera, a Robotech VF1A model kit,cheap used Zoid, I wasn’t able to score the adapter for the Megatron gun so I settled for a barrel as it was only $5.oo
IMG_3048.PNG
IMG_3007.JPGIMG_3008.JPGIMG_3001.JPGIMG_3011.JPGIMG_3012.JPG

IMG_3048.PNG

IMG_3007.JPG

IMG_3008.JPG

IMG_3001.JPG

IMG_3011.JPG

IMG_3012.JPG

I cut up the barrel to get it about the correct size and left the folding arm that attaches to actual correct Megatron part. A little glue, epoxy putty, and a Zoid gun and its time to cut up a Polaroid Camera.
IMG_3013.JPG
IMG_3014.JPGIMG_3015.JPGIMG_3017.JPGIMG_3018.JPGIMG_3005.JPG
I used Styrene as a mounting plate and added a few extra odds and ends just to put my own little spin on it.

IMG_3013.JPG

IMG_3014.JPG

IMG_3015.JPG

IMG_3017.JPG

IMG_3018.JPG

IMG_3005.JPG

IMG_3044.JPGIMG_3045.JPGIMG_3046.JPG I used the front nose of the Robotech model in place of the finger nail looking parts on top of the air pump hoses and some expoxy putty to tie it all together. So far Im pretty happy with it.

Last edited:
Helmet Parts List:

- Gentex Corporation SPH-4 Flying Helmet with suspension liner (not the TPL liner!), no leather parts and M87 Mikrophone
- Polaroid 635 Supercolor (Closeup version will work, but has the wrong lens frame for the sight unit)
- Takara Transformers G1 Megatron Silencer Connector
- Imai 1/100 scale Destroid Tomahawk (Bandai Attack Tomahawk; Revell Robotech Factory)
- Imai 1/72 scale VF-1D Valkyrie Variable Type (Revell Robotech Orbot; Bandai VF-1D Variable Type) has parts for Smartgun Headset
- Arii 1/48 scale Drifand Dal (Revell Robotech Trigon)
- Arii 1/48 scale Orguss Variable Drifand (Revell Robotech Tabor) Caution! the Imai 1/40 scale Orguss / Revell Robotech Nebo kit looks very similar but is wrong!
- Plastruct M-5 Motor
- Plastruct LF-312 Mercury Vapor Relamp CP
- Plastruct LF-316 Mercury Vapor Relamp CP
- Plastruct TB-6 Butyrate Tube (Screw Posts)
- Hama Cable release with metal mesh (+transparent heat shrink tube for new versions)
- Airbrush/Ball pump hose (2x

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back