Aliens or Predator 2

• Aliens

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Predator 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mothmonty

Sr Member
Alright we've discussed the first Alien vs the first Predator. Now it's time to discuss Aliens and Predator 2. Here's what I think.
Predator 2 was cool because of the addition of weapons (spear, net, wrist rocket), the lost hunters and the Predator looked wicked. The main thing I didn't like about this movie was that Danni Glover killed the Pred. Sure the predator took a beating before he went down but common, Danni Glover is like the same age as my dad. Plus he finished him with melee combat, I can see killing the pred with a 50 cal rifle from 1 mile out but seriously hand to hand. I think not, especially when we see how well Arnie faired against the first Pred.
Aliens, had a slow start. But I love the Colonial Marines, I love the fact that they look like they just stepped off of a Vietnam battle field. I love Hudson and Vasquez (mind you Bill Paxton plays a good character is P2). I really like the look of the movie, I like the look of the ships. Big and ugly, totally utilitarian no aesthetic quality.
I did not like the how Rippley disposed of the queen. Opening and airlock with a two ton Xenomorph grabbing your foot is gonna rip your arms off, doesn't matter if you hook you elbow in the ladder.
In the end, once again it is a toss up. Both have great escapism qualities, both have good ass kickery....

Predator 2 is ****. I absolutely hate it. The only worthwhile scene in the whole movie was the subway scene. ( when the predator went in to get a bacon and cheese baguette :) ). No...seriously...the subway scene is the only one I like in the whole movie.

Aliens is brilliant.

This isn't really a fair question.

They're both two TOTALLY different types of movies.

But, if I had to pick, it would ALIENS...no question.

I was actually unable to pick between them. I think they're both great. Sure, Aliens is the better movie technically, just like the first one, but I actually really like Predator 2. The endings and disposal of the main enemies are flawed in both movies.

This is a Predator board, not an Aliens board. Therefore I choose Predator 2.

:)

.....plus I really like Predator 2 a lot.

P2, unquestionably. Aliens has far more negatives than positives for me. The Marines' tactics are stupid. Ripley is obnoxious and know-it-all to an infuriating extreme. the most interesting character(s) are killed off too soon. half-assed changes to cannon re the acid blood are made to get around plot problems. beyond that, cameron just p155ed me off ripping fans off left right and centre w/ all the dozens of versions of the film he put out.

tough one for me, watched both endless amount of times, but for me P2, i really like P2 and the ending rules. i dont understand why ppl dont like this movie :)

I think the acting in P2 was DIRE, thats maybe why it is not AS popular.

BUT

Its obvious that the creature was close to Stan Winstons heart , if you look at the amount of detail that was put into the LOST HUNTERS, for their literally 30 seconds of fame, it shows how dedicated the man and his crew were to the creature,

i like the idea of the story for P2, just it was alittle too cheesey in its execution hehe, if P2 was done today gritty and with LEGACY, it would be AWESOME. ( i do not mean remake or reboot , just if P2 was done now )

I agree on what your saying Lee with the theme of P2. It is a great concept having the predator in a city and how it can adapt, survive and hunt in a densely populated area. I always wondered, did the lost hunters venture into the city. Or what would happen if they did? P2 just felt like it had something missing, I cant put my finger on it but when I watch it I fast forward to scenes with the creature in. I also dont really like the P2 armour and bio. So for me aliens has to win, better acting and its a very well directed film.

Alright we've discussed the first Alien vs the first Predator. Now it's time to discuss Aliens and Predator 2. Here's what I think.
Predator 2 was cool because of the addition of weapons (spear, net, wrist rocket), the lost hunters and the Predator looked wicked. The main thing I didn't like about this movie was that Danni Glover killed the Pred. Sure the predator took a beating before he went down but common, Danni Glover is like the same age as my dad. Plus he finished him with melee combat, I can see killing the pred with a 50 cal rifle from 1 mile out but seriously hand to hand. I think not, especially when we see how well Arnie faired against the first Pred.
Aliens, had a slow start. But I love the Colonial Marines, I love the fact that they look like they just stepped off of a Vietnam battle field. I love Hudson and Vasquez (mind you Bill Paxton plays a good character is P2). I really like the look of the movie, I like the look of the ships. Big and ugly, totally utilitarian no aesthetic quality.
I did not like the how Rippley disposed of the queen. Opening and airlock with a two ton Xenomorph grabbing your foot is gonna rip your arms off, doesn't matter if you hook you elbow in the ladder.
In the end, once again it is a toss up. Both have great escapism qualities, both have good ass kickery....

But keep in mind that gravity is less in space.

Aliens hands down.

I don't think gravity has a lot to do with it once an airlock is opened and everything is being sucked into vacuum.

I also really don't get why people hate P2 so much. Sometimes I think it's become one of those movies that is cool to hate. "Oh yah, Predator 2 was just dire. Of course, I was such a fan of the original..." And so on. I think they did a pretty good job with it. Sure, the acting could have been better but I'll live with it. The acting could have been better in the first one too.

I liked Predator 2 a lot. I don't care about its (admittedly many) weaknesses; it is an entertaining, light movie with a great concept idea. Danni Glover, and the rest of the crew also, are not too shabby either (I really like their modern cowboy style).

Saying all that, Aliens is one of my ten favorite movies of all time. Cameron has made an astounding job in creating a claustrophobic atmosphere in the alien planet. The character creation is very good. It is action and thriller in equal measure and this is a win in my list. Great, great, great film!!!

I admit to not having watched aliens in it's entirety, only the last hour or so on the regular edition so I have no rights to compare them, but contrary to the majority of predator fans, I loved predator 2. I felt the predator in the first movie didn't show up enough but in P2, I thought he was shown off greatly. That said, the gratitious amount of gore, the bland and extremely unlikeable characters, and the general atmosphere held the predator's strengths back, thus making it fall short, but I managed to ignore those flaws enough to like the movie. Sure the predator wasn't the honorable badass from the first, sure danny glover became that cliché invincible hero, sure ah nuld wasn't there and instead did the ridiculously overrated terminator 2, I didn't mind as much as everyone else.

Dare I say Aliens is my favoutite, this being a Predator forum.
Acting in both films is pretty crap except by the leading characters. Aliens is well served by Lance Henrickson and Sigourney Weaver while Predator has Danny Glover and the excellent Gary Busey. P2 nearly steals my vote for his performance. Unfortunately both have Bill Paxman, can't stand him.

Set design and music are better in Aliens and I like the power loader finale.
P2 has a terrible first third but improves as it picks up pace. All the scenes with Busey with or without the Predator are superb and the Elders look fantastic. Don't care much for the P2 design as I prefer the slimy P1 compared to the psychadelic coloured P2.

Regardless of each films failings I'm still an Aliens and Predator lover. Wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't love the Predator.
BUT for me Aliens is a far better conceived and executed film.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back