Aliens Colour?

fettster

Sr Member
Hi all,

I have a dilema,

I has been able to get an Aliens head which i will be painting but im a little confused.

In the film, the Aliens look blue/silvery but all the heads i have seen fans paint have been brown? Am i missing something?

And now, Sideshow bring out a 1.1 scale bust and its blue and brown.....

I really want to paint it accuratly but i love the paint scheme on the Sideshow.

Can anyone confirm whats correct and whats not, im getting a head ache. :confused :confused

The pics make it look more black with brown shading almost like a molted stripe. That color scheme has appeared on a lot of the Japan figures, includding the original Alien, which should be all black as the suit was. All the pics I've seen of the actual Aliens suits all look black or like a boring very dark grey. This may be more of an idealized version, which I like as well.

AFAIK the original "Alien" design was coloured grey with a hint of blue, whereas in "Aliens" they were shades of browns.

When I did my Aliens warrior I decided to go for grey/blue as i preferred the look. I think the Sideshow statue is grey/blue too, but could be wrong

Cheers

Jez

I think the alien from the first film was black and grey, whereas the aliens in the second film were black with gold highlights - forced highlights in dark shots. The alien in the third movie was brown in color and in the forth they went back for black.

Originally posted by NoHumorMan@Mar 29 2006, 08:18 PM
I think the alien from the first film was black and grey, whereas the aliens in the second film were black with gold highlights - forced highlights in dark shots.  The alien in the third movie was brown in color and in the forth they went back for black.
[snapback]1215626[/snapback]​

Gold - eeek.

Originally posted by BingoBongo275+Mar 29 2006, 10:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BingoBongo275 @ Mar 29 2006, 10:40 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-NoHumorMan
@Mar 29 2006, 08:18 PM
I think the alien from the first film was black and grey, whereas the aliens in the second film were black with gold highlights - forced highlights in dark shots.  The alien in the third movie was brown in color and in the forth they went back for black.
Gold - eeek.
[snapback]1215639[/snapback]​
[/b]
Yep, shown in the behind the scenes sections on the Alien Quadrilogy box.

It was only meant as forced highlight, so that the contours would show in the dark scenes. Otherwise it would just be a black glob of nothing.

Originally posted by NoHumorMan+Mar 29 2006, 03:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoHumorMan @ Mar 29 2006, 03:43 PM)</div>
Originally posted by BingoBongo275@Mar 29 2006, 10:40 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-NoHumorMan
@Mar 29 2006, 08:18 PM

Gold - eeek.
[snapback]1215639[/snapback]​
Yep, shown in the behind the scenes sections on the Alien Quadrilogy box.

It was only meant as forced highlight, so that the contours would show in the dark scenes. Otherwise it would just be a black glob of nothing.
[snapback]1215641[/snapback]​
[/b]

I'll confirm that, for what it's worth. According to the documentary they weren't concerned about the color of the aliens because they were always shown in either low light or high contrast light. So the paint was only used to sharpen the contours of the model/costume in those circumstances... the forced highlighting NoHumorMan mentioned.

On the other hand... I suspect that Slideshow intends for their 1:1 Alien bust to be proudly displayed in a well lit prop room. Therefore an idealized paint sceme that would look better in that environment than the film-accurate overly-highlighted one.

Originally posted by Skaught@Mar 29 2006, 11:35 PM
Depends on the color of the person they bursted from.
Scott
[snapback]1215669[/snapback]​
Care to elaborate on that. I have not heard anything like that mentioned anywhere... would be interesting to learn more. :)

Originally posted by NoHumorMan+Mar 29 2006, 02:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoHumorMan @ Mar 29 2006, 02:46 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Skaught
@Mar 29 2006, 11:35 PM
Depends on the color of the person they bursted from.
Scott
[snapback]1215669[/snapback]​
Care to elaborate on that. I have not heard anything like that mentioned anywhere... would be interesting to learn more. :)
[snapback]1215672[/snapback]​
[/b]

The parasite takes on characteristics of the host. Remember the burster/alien that gestated in the dog? Took on quite a few canine characteristics. Now color...? ;)

thanks guys, can anyone tell me where to find in images on the quadrilogy box set, i have only been able to find the bob burns collection has the head in normal light.

I like the colour scheme Sideshow has gone for. I painted mine up the blue/grey colour as I thought it looked "right", although appreciate that the purists will probably say its wrong. Maybe my alien burst out of Max Reebo :lol

Here's some recent publicity pics for a forthcoming charity event we're doing...

Alien3amendcrop.jpg

CHOLLISAlien03.jpg

CHOLLISAlien10.jpg

CHOLLISAlien09.jpg

All pics copyright Stuart Hollis

Cheers

Jez

I'm just goofing on the color thing, taking the dog-alien to another level. Remember the action figure? There was a gorilla alien, a bull alien, and a scorpian alien. How the scorpian got "impregnated" I'll never know.

Of course, this was further elaborated on in AVP with the Predator-Alien.

Scott

The first one was very shoddy with the brown/tan latex showing through Giger's airbrushing. The ones in Aliens were different, although I believe lighting played a big factor. I've seen some that are black with brown highlights and some that look more blue-gray with hints of purple.

Cheers Bryan. Yeah finished it just before xmas.

Also the guy on the left (Marc)was wearing Hudson's original armour from Aliens (c/o Harry Harris)

Here's a better pic

CHOLLISAlien02.jpg

Cheers

Jez

Dog alien? You talking the thing from Alien 3? I thought that it was supposed to have infected one of the large bovine-type beasts on the planet? If much of their appearance is appropriated from the 'host' DNA wouldn't they have had four feet? ;) I've thought of this before, that the CB would develop due to factors of the host. So far they've all be O2 breathers, but do the xenomorphs NEED O2? Recall how long the one lived outside the Narcissis in ALIEN? And the Underwater aliens from A:Ressurection? And how long was Queenie alive in AVP? She must've been around for at LEAST 100 years.

Jay

Great suit, BingoBongo. :thumbsup

Here are some grabs of the pix on the Quadrilogy... this is the second movie creature (Cameron's "Aliens")...

aliens_01.jpg

aliens_02.jpg

aliens_03.jpg

aliens_04.jpg

aliens_05.jpg

aliens_06.jpg

Aliens-Stan-Winston.jpg

Very insectoid looking, almost cockroach-y. Yuck. :p

As to the Alien3 dog-burster thing, yeah in the theatrical version, a regular Facehugger gets ahold of a dog, and the resulting Alien is fast and sleek, like a greyhound.

However in the earlier "director's cut" of the film, there's a boss "Queen Facehugger", that gets ahold of an OX, and impregnates it. Which makes no sense since the resulting Alien is still fast and sleek like a greyhound. Oops. :lol

A3-Qfacehug-06.jpg

A3-Qfacehug-07.jpg

At some point there was an attempt to put an alien suit on a DOG, to what must have been hilarious effect.

a3_dogsuit01.jpg

a3_dogsuit02.jpg

- k

Oh and regarding aliens needing to breathe, well it SEEMS like they would NOT need to breathe, or at least not oxygen. The ALIEN creature seems perfectly able to function in the vaccuum of space, until Ripley roasts it with the engines.

The Facehugger in ALIEN also survived in Kane's open space helmet, during the walk back from the Derelict to the Nostromo, exposed to LV426's hostile atmosphere. And it even "fed oxygen" to Kane. So it must have been able to metabolize whatever was in that air, either because of its own needs, or else simply to keep Kane alive.

In ALIENS, the Queen Alien is seen struggling (but not apparently dying) as it is blown away from Sulaco's airlock. And earlier, the Queen survived the trip UP to orbit in the "gear well" of the Drop Ship, which more than likely was NOT pressurized.

And yet "Aliens" gives us the clearest evidence that the Aliens DO breathe. The Queen most notably, who has that awful rasping breathing. So what the hell.

I suppose the creatures ultimately need air of some sort, but can survive for extended periods without it.

One tough little son of a bitch, said Ash.

- k

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back