Aliens APC RC car build.

Combust

Hey guys,

This has been a work in progress for some time now but ive finally pushed it over the edge progress wise :)

This is being built to be cast in resin and fit on a TT01 RC car chassis.

4618161123_499a748fd2_z.jpg

4618779798_906b0ed796_z.jpg

6822102495_100d5f5d53_z.jpg

6865891581_35eb5cddbf_z.jpg

6791029016_afb9394671_z.jpg

6808114892_442634ea19_z.jpg

6831606356_2274426407_z.jpg

6977734845_85a1f098c0_z.jpg

6977736973_23a9f2b534_z.jpg

6861214490_a4f1ea5c2b_z.jpg

6861214116_7d46a454d2_z.jpg

7022497369_0a0a1d72d5_z.jpg

Still a work in progress as there are a few more things needed before i start casting.

Cheers,
Combust

Combustible Props

Im still trying to work out a way to make the Main turret rail work... Its currently static. There will be enough room in there for a micro servo, and may be able to make something pull the turret up and down.

Very cool! Need a nice long Weyland series of tunnels with desbris and aliens to crash into :) Most excellent work, can't wait to see more!

Very cool concept indeed! I'm surprised it hasn't been done before?!

From my limited knowledge of RC Cars - (I had a Tamiya 1/10th Monster Beetle, back in the day... with a 540 engine IIRC... )
Are you going to use some trickery with gears or speed controllers, so that the APC drives at a screen-accurate 'scale' speed.... instead of the typical RC car of today's acceleration and top speed, which would likely translate to 500 m.p.h.+ on a vehicle the size of the 'real' A.P.C. :eek :confused :confused ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the speed, baby (and it damn-near killed me! LOL), but if you could run the completed RC car in '2nd Gear' without burning-out the gearbox or motor (or breaking the transaxle like Ripley! :lol) then it would look a lot more accurate for a vehicle like the A.P.C., I reckon... :unsure

Regardless, that's an excellent job you're doing... definitely looking forward to seeing this completed! :thumbsup

Cheers,
John
johnATmanicminerDOTplusDOTcom

Very cool concept indeed! I'm surprised it hasn't been done before?!
<snip>
Are you going to use some trickery with gears or speed controllers, so that the APC drives at a screen-accurate 'scale' speed.... instead of the typical RC car of today's acceleration and top speed, which would likely translate to 500 m.p.h.+ on a vehicle the size of the 'real' A.P.C. :eek :confused :confused ?
<snip>
(or breaking the transaxle like Ripley! :lol) then it would look a lot more accurate for a vehicle like the A.P.C., I reckon... :unsure

Regardless, that's an excellent job you're doing... definitely looking forward to seeing this completed! :thumbsup

Thanks man!

Bahahah yeah i have thought about the 'speed issue' :)

I actually don't know much about the gearboxes but i do know that some speed controllers are top-speed customisable. I guess once i get a full working cast painted up ill look at the finer details like top speed and turret control. The good news is that Hobby king sell 8ch controls for very little these days so having all the turrets controllable will be relatively easy.

The easiest way to get scale speed would be to just turn down your throttle trim on the transmitter. Also, most modern day speed controls are fully progamable now. It's just how you set it up. Very nice work so far.

Very nice build welcome to the APC Builders club! I just made a kit of it this Past year Nice job, and just a recommendation if you plan to make it for an R.C. body I would cast the shell in Fiberglass it will be lighter and less prone to cracking like a resin shell because wherever you have the chassis attached to the resin shell it will eventually crack or break from bouncing around and vibrations the studio scale APC was a fiberglass shell also lighter for better gas mileage Lol.
Ray
7.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool project. Cant' wait to see the next progress.

Very nice build welcome to the APC Builders club! I just made a kit of it this Past year Nice job, and just a recommendation if you plan to make it for an R.C. body I would cast the shell in Fiberglass it will be lighter and less prone to cracking like a resin shell because wherever you have the chassis attached to the resin shell it will eventually crack or break from bouncing around and vibrations the studio scale APC was a fiberglass shell also lighter for better gas mileage Lol.
Ray
7.jpg

Ray-san, this is cool !

I tried making one of those years ago but was way too ambitious by making it out of metal and when it warped on me I gave up on it. You did a great job on this.

Hey, great build combust and another welcome to the APC builder's club! I'm looking forward to seeing more progress on this.

BTW, search '1/16 Aliens APC' on YouTube for my APC build movie. Enjoy!

Mike

A quick update before easter crazyness :)

Main door finished.
6897928046_13d54a2bca_z.jpg

Drivers door done (needs the handle) and front turret ready for casting.
7044024019_eca6081dd7_z.jpg

Casting! :)
6897929366_50281c27cf_z.jpg

Now this was a failure. I tried to heat up styrene stock and shape it over a jig but unfortunately it doesnt heat well. Im thinking about making a mold and adding melted ABS plastic to it. Anyway im open to ideas :)
7044023771_208bd89ec4_z.jpg

Thanks Ray (Good idea about the fibreglass) and LastBattlestar :) Hey quick question, how did you both create the main turret rail over the back of the hull?

Cheers,

Hey Combust doing my rails was trial and error I hand made mine by cutting out the "L" shape on styrene or was it basswood:facepalm? well booth will work and then 2 strips of layered styrene bent and glued over the L pattern puttied the seams and sanded then molded it. I tried finding a pic of it being built but guess I erased that fold but here's a pic so you can see how it looks and If i'm correct I think Mike had has machined in Metal I may be wrong I may have confused it with Ian Lawrence's build another great APC builder that you can get reference from Mike and Ian's build gave me the inspiration to build mine let me know if that helps. Your model looks close in size to mine from your pics I could cast you a set of rails if you need them just let me know.
Ray
024.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back