Aliens APC - 1/12 - ** **

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 13th update, page 3 **

Looking Beautiful. This is a home run, cant wait for the JY thread!

Man, this is awesome! You would make James Cameron proud! :D

You guys are too kind.........

The build has been stepped up in the past week. I am now working on this full-time, 24-7, so not just in the wee hours. Suppliers have been supplied with files for drytransfers, etchings and 3d print parts. Masterpattern parts are being finished bit by bit on a daily basis. I have some nice pics up on friday.

I've posted a thread in the JY here at http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=82126

I'll update both threads where appropriate, but all sales or salesinquiries should be in the JY thread.

Oh, and today i found 6 tins of Humbrol brown bess. Quite happy there :)

Cheers,

Wasili

Your doing an amazing job with this project, I look forward to Friday & seeing the new photos.

Jason

Can you do us a favor and put a paint swab of color brown bess in the kit? Just a sample so we can try to match it?

Steve

Can you do us a favor and put a paint swab of color brown bess in the kit? Just a sample so we can try to match it?

Steve

Hey,

That's a good idea. Hadn't thought of that. Will spray a batch of styrene or acrylic strips and include it in the kit.

And thanx Jason / Technoking for the kind words.

Cheers,

Wasili

Thanks man thats awsome! Look like Ive got to make a 1/12 dropship for this to go with! I just did the calcs on the DS it would be 7.5feet long! :love

Steve

Last edited:

Thanks man thats awsome! Look like Ive got to make a 1/12 dropship for this to go with! I just did the calcs on the DS it would be 7.5feet long! :love

Steve

Hey Steve, that's even studio scale..

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 12th update, page 3 **

Mike, the OD of the wheels is 141.6mm, give or take a few .1mm's.

Thanks Wasili. It looks we are definitely working at slightly different scales. My wheels (including tyres) calculated out at about 122mm O.D. I hope it looks OK!:confused

Great work on this model. The precision of your parts is impressive to say the least, especially after looking at my hand cut/sanded pieces.:) Regarding the Brown Bess colour, what's that for, overall hull colour?

Don't worry Steve, you're not the only one mentally planning out 7 foot Dropship to park the APC in. It would be a nice way to keep the dust off it!

Mike

Last edited:

Hey Mike,

Those wheels are large, reallife ca. 170cm dia.. I'm not sure what you base your info on, but if it's one of the kits, those may be relatively too small.

The brown bess is indeed the overall hull color. I didn't know that before but the artdept on Aliens used Humbrol 170 aka Brown Bess as a base color, which was then matched and mixed in large batches for the dropship and APC. This Humbrol color is rare as it's out of production. So i was lucky when i got these in the mail yesterday.

Wasili-APCwip41.jpg

Small update:

Body masterpattern is nearing completion. Filled the top chamfers/corners along the length of the body on both sides, did those by hand, no cnc there. Fitted the new side nose corners. I have since completed the driver window section.

Wasili-APCwip37.jpg

Right side. Chamfers filled. Nose corner fitted. Missing a small corner there on the top. The holes for both the main access door and the grille / vent behind the door have since been cut out.

Wasili-APCwip38.jpg

Driver window insert + cnc cut 1.0mm acrylic windows. Acrylic still has protective film on top. Window frame still needs rivet detailling.

Wasili-APCwip39.jpg

Reverse side. The frame is 1.5mm thick, but the reverse has a 1.0mm deep slot, so the windows fit in perfectly. From the front it then looks the frame is only 0.5mm to the window, without loosing integral strength.

Wasili-APCwip40.jpg

More pics later.

Cheers,

Wasili

Hey Mike,

Those wheels are large, reallife ca. 170cm dia.. I'm not sure what you base your info on, but if it's one of the kits, those may be relatively too small.

I hope not.:confused The temporary wheels I have here are 120-ish mm O.D. and seem to look OK. What do you think?

attachment.php

I'm really impressed at how your project is coming together, Wasili. Really sharp!

Mike

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 14th update, page 3 **

Mike,

Just now i rechecked the OD of the wheels, and i come out at 136.65mm, which is still off from yours but smaller than the dim i stated before.

That said, i am now rechecking the whole tires/wheelhub setup to see if i didn't make a mistake somewhere.

One other thing is that the wheel wells of both the full-size and filming miniature were hollow. They are not like the Halcyon kit. Halcyon most likely added those 45degree chasms for ease of injection molding production. There is more space above the wheel. The front wheel nearly touches the fairing of the well when looked at en-profil.

Cheers,

Wasili

Mike,

Just now i rechecked the OD of the wheels, and i come out at 136.65mm, which is still off from yours but smaller than the dim i stated before.

Your rubber tyres are now a closer fit to my smaller wheels!:love

One other thing is that the wheel wells of both the full-size and filming miniature were hollow. They are not like the Halcyon kit. Halcyon most likely added those 45degree chasms for ease of injection molding production. There is more space above the wheel. The front wheel nearly touches the fairing of the well when looked at en-profil.

Yeah, I found out that info when I saw the pic below, AFTER I'd built in the wheel wells with the angle...:unsure So, it looks like the wells just have vertical front and rear walls?

Oh, another thing if you don't mind, is the rear mudguard boxed-in or just a single C-section if you know what I mean?

Thanks mate, Mike

Mike,

Re: the rear mudguard, the blueprint describes boxed in. But there's no pics to prove that, and all the scenes are too dark to see that.

Cheers,

Wasili

Thanks mate, I'll have to box them in to hide the rear lights wiring, so thanks anyway!

I have the main hull in primer now.;)

Mike

Looks great! Will you be offering the kit in a more "secure" way than that Landspeeder kit you bailed on? You had my money for a looong time and it took a while to get a refund after you decided to not offer the kit after all, so I'm really nervous to order anything from you again. I hope you understand.

Looks great! Will you be offering the kit in a more "secure" way than that Landspeeder kit you bailed on? You had my money for a looong time and it took a while to get a refund after you decided to not offer the kit after all, so I'm really nervous to order anything from you again. I hope you understand.

Same here

GFollano

Hey Wasili, what do you make of the vertical lip on the hull rear panel behind the wheel? This is a pic of the miniature, thought it was interesting...

attachment.php

Mike

Hi Jason, Gerrardo,

Completely understandable. I learned a lot from that project back in 2006/7. Made some really big mistakes on that. One big mistake with that was that the model initially was not build with a kit in mind. Then i offered it when only babysteps were made in production. Next to that my communication was very poor to say the least. Mistake upon mistake.

The APC model was completely made as a kit from the beginning. It took a while to figure out the exact parts breakdown, but that's all worked out. I work on the project fulltime for the next two months, giving it my complete attention, with each part made or ordered in bulk. It has been fun from the beginning, and i still enjoy it really a lot. It's a cool subject.

I suggest you keep checking updates regularly, and when you feel comfortable with what you see and what you hear from others, feel free to order.

All the very best,

Wasili

Hey Wasili, what do you make of the vertical lip on the hull rear panel behind the wheel? This is a pic of the miniature, thought it was interesting...

attachment.php

Mike

Hey Mike,

That lip is there both on the full-size and on the miniature. Look at post #17 on page 1 of this thread. You can see the rear sticks out as compared to the wheel well.

One other interesting thing about this scene, is that it is flopped. You are actually looking at the left side (note gun barrels on left, they normally point the other way).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Wasili

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back