Aliens APC - 1/12 - ** **

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 8th update, page 2 **

Thank you thank you...

Monday update:

Finished machining the top of the turret. I noticed the y-axis gears needed a bit of adjusting, but couldn't do that during the machining. There's a few extra lines in there, but nothing a bit of sandpaper can't fix.

Wasili-APCwip22.jpg

Spent the day working on the cad file for the nose turret. The shape is very close to the original, but i need to adjust the overall size by a couple percent, to get a better fit. Will do that tomorrow. Did a quick render with VRay, with the turret on the nose. Still very new to rendering, so go easy there.

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-APCwip23.jpg

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 9th update, page 2 **

That is very sharp work Wasili.:cool

Do you think that the front window is vertical or angled rearward? Oh, how nice it must be nice to get those parts CNC'd and laser cut. I sanded my fingers to the bone tonight working on mine!

Mike

Thanx Mike,

The window is angled. Oh, and i have no lasercutter. It's just a cnc router. I've worked with lasercutters a lot for architectural models, they're great and they're incredibly fast with acrylic and scoring, but i still prefer my cnc router for styrene and blockmaterial.

Btw, you a Connely or a Rocketeer fan ?

Cheers,

Wasili

It's great to see so many amazing scratchbuilds going on. Keep up the great work! makes my Halcyon kit look pants in comparison!

Thanx Mandalore,

The fun in this is actually building the thing, and not just talking about it. Only way to get some experience doing these things.

Update:

Did most of the work on the turrets, although just now i did notice i made a small stupid mistake on the front turret. So will redo that one.

Here's the turret parts, main turret on left, nose turret on right. Still need to do the circular parts on both turrets. The small flat part with the two rectangular indentations, is the front of the main body of the main turret. The barrels slot into these indents.

Wasili-APCwip24.jpg

And overall view with the turrets in place. Sorry for the crappy pics.

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-APCwip25.jpg

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 10th update, page 2 **

Beautiful work. I love the crispness of the parts you'e made so far. Great work indeed. :cool

Oh that beautiful to behold. Great stuff so far, thanks for the update.

Coming along nicely, Wasili!

A question for you: do the horizontal sections of the turret rails sit flush on the roof? My rails have little support legs but the whole assembly seems to sit up too high. I've seen one pic of the full sized APC an the rails do appear to sit directly on the roof. What do you think?

My build page updated BTW.:)

Mike

Folks,

I got stuck with a regular project in the past week. Nearly done there, and have started on the APC again. Currently machining the sides of the nose, and the driver's door. Time to finish up this baby. Should have updated pics up soon.

Cheers,

Wasili

Question, what is the wheel base and width?

Thanx Vos for the kind words. You've got a really impressive portfolio there, if i may sy so.

Learman60 > The exact width of the APC is 260.35mm or 10.25". Wheelbase is exactly 404.81mm or 15.93". The wheelbase may seem small, but the APC has large wheels and a large nose.

Update:

I machined the left and right side of the nose. And the driver's door.

Wasili-APCwip26.jpg

Here's the door more closeup. The 2 upper slots on the right are there for the hinges. Tomorrow i'm adding the rest of the details of the door.

I've set myself to putting the first parts in silicone before the end of the week, even if they're tiny. Ordered an extra 10 kg batch. And i've started on the mold jacket for the upper body.

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-APCwip27.jpg

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 11th update, page 3 **

Thanks for the mesurement. That will give me enough to start look for donor r/c cars. Keep up the fine work my friend:)

Said it before and I'll say it again....damn fine work Wasili.

Thanx guys,

Now that each section is getting ready, it's becoming more fun.

Update:

I finished the left side, in between the wheels. This is were the engine service hatches and exhausts were. Did the research, cut the parts and put them together.

Inserts for lower exhaust. This is placed behind the holes in the part, so it becomes deeper. The ridges allow for positioning of the custom etched grilles and an extra ridge over that.

Wasili-APCwip28.jpg

Overall view minus the top panel.

Wasili-APCwip29.jpg

Overall view with top panel in place. The top panel will be machined from both the front and back, from styrene, for each kit. The back then allows for perfect placing of etchings and parts like the propeller.

Wasili-APCwip30.jpg

Did the wheel hub. The outer edge has two ridges instead of one. Haven't seen anyone do that yet. As accurate as i can. I kept the parts seperate so i could play with the depth of the parts in relation to each other. Difficult to make out in the pics, but the middle ridge has an elliptical profile, the outer one a circular one.

Wasili-APCwip31.jpg

And the parts put together. This will hit silicone tomorrow, allow with the first other small parts.

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-APCwip32.jpg

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 12th update, page 3 **

Great job Wasili! What is the O.D. of your wheels and tyres? I'm wondering if they are close enough to fit my APC build?:confused I'm very interested in the tyres, especially the correct tread pattern.

Mike

Thanx Steve, Mike,

Mike, the OD of the wheels is 141.6mm, give or take a few .1mm's.

Update:

Machined the inside of the nose corners, so they would become lighter, and would easily fit the existing styrene frame. Machined the sidelights and door outline. Here's the inside view

Wasili-APCwip33.jpg

Outside view.

Wasili-APCwip34.jpg

Outside view with door in place. The dooropening is 1.5mm offset. On the back of the door is a piece of styrene that fits perfectly inside the dooropening. The kit will have a seperate door with working hinges, so you can play around with it of you want. No interior though.

Wasili-APCwip35.jpg

Some of the details for the engine service hatches. The boxes fit behind the holes in the larger panel in the picture. The left box has a fan (not present yet), which is not dead center, it's lower. The hub of the fan is in between the boxes, and fits a hole in the box. The two tiny brass pieces are the start of the hinges of the drivers door.

Wasili-APCwip36.jpg

Next to that on wednesday i have the etchings and the drytransfers for the enitre run going out to my suppliers, and will have them back monday or tuesday. Also wednesday the new 3d file for the tyres (and some of the greeblies on the rear deck) goes out to be sla'ed (stereolithographed). Back on monday. Was making that out of seperate pieces, but was a pain to finish.

The build is going very fast now. Tomorrow sees the main access door, greeblies on top of the nose, the frame in front of the main light and the start of the armor blocks on the top.

I'll be posting in the JY from tomorrow with an introduction to the kit, parts breakdown, price and whatever other info that might be useful.

Cheers,

Wasili

Awesome work Wasili, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Karl...

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back