Aliens APC - 1/12 - ** **

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 17th update, page 4 **

Tiny teaser.....sorry, couldn't resist. More extensive update later tonight.

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-APCwip56.jpg

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 17th update, page 4 **

hehe, makes you nuts as well..

The nut is part of the towing point on the roof. Rest of the parts are here, all to be seperate cast parts. Bolt was shortened to correct length after pic was taken. The nut actually has a chamfered top, just like a real one.

Wasili-APCwip58.jpg

Some of the details made in the past week. Many more done, and the list of stuff to do is getting really small.

Top row, from left to right:
- axle, still without pivot point
- front of new turret (with two rectangular chambers, for positioning of barrels)
- blocky bits of gun barrel, main turret
- bits that make up the front section of gun barrel

Lower row, left to right:
- (tiny) brass barrel of nose turret
- 4 details for truncated base of nose turret
- reflector for side lights on nose
- details for roof: the towing point (pictured above) assembled without glue / handle / the two flat squares with flaps standing up. The bigger squares are glued on the body, and the smaller flaps are machined from 0.5mm styrene for each kit. Once again no cleanup. The squares already have slots so positioning of the flaps is easy and precise.

Wasili-APCwip57.jpg

Much more soon.

Cheers,

Wasili

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 18th update, page 5 **

Superb work Wasili !!

I was looking through the thread, and didn't see any mention of what
equipment you use to CNC.

Curious kind of a machine that you'd use to fabricate such beautiful
parts on !

Superb work Wasili !!

I was looking through the thread, and didn't see any mention of what
equipment you use to CNC.

Curious kind of a machine that you'd use to fabricate such beautiful
parts on !

Hey Grant, thanx.

I use a Step Four machine from Austria. i think it's www.step-four.at, but no english there.

But this does bring me to two points i want to mention. First this can be done on most cnc machines nowadays. You can buy them complete for a fee. Want to build one yourself, you can do it cheaper. Parts all over the place, including forums that tell you how.

You're not done with only buying a machine. You need the software to make your files (Like AutoCAD or Rhino for 2d/3d, and postprocessor software for G-code generation if necessary), and adapted software for your cnc machine to read those files.

Second, i feel people mistakenly have the impression that the cnc is doing everything for me, or others that use a cnc. "I push a button and out comes the part". It's not like that. The cnc takes some work out of my hands, but the result is only as good as all the lenghty pre-work that went into it. All the 2d and 3d cad work that precedes it. I've been working with cnc machines now for some 14 years, so know what it's pro's and con's are, the limitations of the machine, the material, the router, bits, settings and such. I'm still learning to this very day.

Although one can easily have a good start with 2d/3d software, and true, it's getting easier, it can still take a while to really learn the software and use it properly. I use both Rhino and AutoCAD, and the latter can put some nasty **** in your dxf files for the cnc, screwing up your work, that can make you scratch your head in the beginning so much there's no hair left to pull. Heck, it's all downhill for me anyway from here. :cool

Anyway, rant over. Have fun and God Bless. Love and peace for all. My chicken is awaiting on the table.

Cheers,

Wasili

Words cannot express......

How tiny is that nut??!!
Seriously, this is one amazing build!!

Thanx guys,

It's an interesting excersize to push one's boundaries. I've learned quite a lot with this project.

Update:
The rebuild of the masterparts is done except for one essential bit, namely the rubber tire. Based on all the ref i made a 3d file and had an outside contractor machine this from renshape. Unfortunately the one they machined was done with a too large dia bit, so the important grooves/profile got skipped. Basically useless. :unsure I don't want to go with another supplier, so i'll do it myself.

But couldn't resist and tweaked the 3d file a bit. Here's a simple 3d rendering of the tire (Rhino 3d with VRay renderengine). I've broken this into machinable pieces, which go on my cnc machine from monday.

The APC wheel has 14 panes stuck on the outer rim, blocking half of the deep grooves on the side of the tire.

More soon.

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-APCwip59.jpg

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 19th update, page 5 **

please work harder and faster, i need my fix of updates, i was entering a cold turkey stage :eek

really exceptional skills :thumbsup

-z

Thanx Zorg,

That means a lot to me coming from such a talented chap as yourself. Btw, i preferred your previous avatar :lol.

Small update on the tire. Yesterday i machined these two suckers. Hardly believe it, but they took the entire day to machine with a tiny bit. Each is about 16mm wide and 32mm long. 28 of them make up the center rim of the tire. To speed up casting them i machined two for the mold.

Today i have been machining the inner part of the tire (inner as in closer to the center), and will continue tomorrow with the upper part, so that's coming along nicely.

I'll have a nice big update with lotsa pics around the weekend, to round things out.

Cheerioh.

Wasili

Wasili-APCwip60.jpg

Thanx Zorg,

That means a lot to me coming from such a talented chap as yourself. Btw, i preferred your previous avatar :lol.

Small update on the tire. Yesterday i machined these two suckers. Hardly believe it, but they took the entire day to machine with a tiny bit. Each is about 16mm wide and 32mm long. 28 of them make up the center rim of the tire. To speed up casting them i machined two for the mold.

Today i have been machining the inner part of the tire (inner as in closer to the center), and will continue tomorrow with the upper part, so that's coming along nicely.

I'll have a nice big update with lotsa pics around the weekend, to round things out.

Cheerioh.

Wasili

Wasili-APCwip60.jpg

thanks, i still have to make stuff the old fashioned way. sweat and sandpaper, i'd love to get a cnc rig set up.

either way the level of detail you are going to is putting the rest of us to shame.

as for my avatar, whats wrong with Jeffrey? :lol

he is very popular with the ladies!

-z

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 20th update, page 5 **

I knew the tires were going to be a bugger to get right. Keep plugging away!

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 20th update, page 5 **

thanks, i still have to make stuff the old fashioned way. sweat and sandpaper, i'd love to get a cnc rig set up.

either way the level of detail you are going to is putting the rest of us to shame.

as for my avatar, whats wrong with Jeffrey? :lol

he is very popular with the ladies!

-z

:lol

And thanx for the kind words. Contrary to popular belief, i do make a lot by hand. If this was a one-off, i wouldn't have used so much cnc.

And the thing with the APC is that it doesn't have so much detail on it, what with those huge flat panels without a single detail on it. So if i build less than what's there already, it's only gonna look more bald.

I knew the tires were going to be a bugger to get right. Keep plugging away!

The 3d file of the tire itself already took me 3 full days to make, including 2 complete rebuilds. But it's very nice to see it grow now as a real part, and not only one in the digital world.

Update on the tire pattern:

I machined the inner half of the tire (in pic on left) from renshape. It doesn't look very fat, but it's 2 inches thick. To position the 28 sections that make up the outer profile, i machined two styrene circles with 28 steps so each casting locks nicely into the next.

On the top of the pic (bit out of pic) is the rear ladder, and the toplight frame on it's glue spacer.

Wasili-APCwip61.jpg

I'm now machining the outer ring of the tire. The one that connects the renshape inner ring with the 28 castings. I wanted to machine just two (one for each side of the tire), but the estimated machining time was way too long. So i'm doing one quarter, and will use 8 castings of it to complete the wheel.

Here's the quarter section on the bed. Estimated machining time is more than 9 hours for the high resolaution i want it in.

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-APCwip62.jpg

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 21st update, page 5 **

OMFG I WANT IN!!!!! This is so awesome. Any chance you could do 1 in 1/6? My marines need a ride.

Heya Rick,

Hard at work here on your APC parts. The tire pattern is coming along nicely, although i'm still a day or two from the first PU rubber casting. Can't wait..

The Kress router of the cnc finally gave up earlier this week, so had to replace it. It was already 5 years old, and i replaced the carbon brushes round xmas, but they wore out last weekend. Just the router, so no biggie there. Received word today from the supplier the new one is on its way. Will have it tomorrow, so can get cracking again.

Will keep you guys posted.

Cheerioh.

Wasili

Hey folks,

Got the new router and installed it last saturday. Works fine, although it's a bit more powerful (1050W instead of 900W), so the finer machining needs a bit of funetuning. But still very happy with it.

Busy at work on the APC parts. I'll put some pics up tomorrowevening local time.

Cheerioh,

Wasili

WOW!!!

This is going be a beauty. GREAT JOB!!!!

GFollano

Thanx Gerrardo.

Here's some pics of parts i haven't shown yet.

The upper side wall of the tire after machining, sealed with a priming filler and sanded.
Wasili-APCwip63.jpg

Machined another main turret, here's a comparison with the new bottom one (left) and the old one (right). Included a hole for the axle pipe. The pipe also functions as a pouring entry for the rotocast turret.
Wasili-APCwip64.jpg

Didn't want to waist material, so used the old turret part for something new, in this case the wheel rim.
Wasili-APCwip65.jpg

Rim after machining, before priming filler, and adding the bolts. This is the inside of the rim, not visible for the 2 front wheels, but it is visible for the 2 rear wheels. The rim pattern does not have a hole for the axle, this is added after the part is cast.
Wasili-APCwip66.jpg

Brass handles. From left to right: 2 x top of turret, 2 x top of roof, 4 x rear light. I made a template, so the folded handles would be the same.
Wasili-APCwip67.jpg

New main turret aft barrel. Old one on left, new one on right. Quite a difference in length. It's also a tad wider.
Wasili-APCwip68.jpg

Nose turret barrel base. Here still with one (out of eight) brass barrel.
Wasili-APCwip69.jpg

The eight holes in the barrel base look like they are spaced evenly.
Wasili-APCwip70.jpg

But actually it's 4 groups of 2 holes.
Wasili-APCwip71.jpg

The new noseturret. Old one on right, bit out of pic. I noticed the part looks a bit different (wider) when using the good ol' eyes, instead of my camera. The two barrels are tacked on with a piece of tape, as they are cast seperately.

More soon.

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-APCwip72.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back