Aliens APC - 1/12 - ** **

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 14th update, page 3 **

I wouldn't use the humbrol paint on this model. I would rather use Tamiya spray cans even if the colour was off a bit. Humbrol paint is a look but don't touch paint imo.

Anyone have any thoughts on Tamiya AS-6?

Keith.

I wouldn't use the humbrol paint on this model. I would rather use Tamiya spray cans even if the colour was off a bit. Humbrol paint is a look but don't touch paint imo.

Keith.

Hey Keith,

Only reason i mention this Humbrol, is that according to confirmed legend, it is exactly the same color as used by the production. I'll include a paint sample (dry, not wet), so you can mix your won. There are some threads over at the Aliens Legacy forum, that discuss alternatives from Tamiya.

Small update:
Been a hectic week, trying to get everything sorted out. A very nice new development is that one of our respected members (he may chose to join in if he wants to do so at his own discretion) is about to provide me with some excellent reference on the top rear of the APC, and some unclear bits on the main gun turret and sled.

After the wheel discussion with LastBattlestar/Mike here, i decided to recheck my wheels. Found out that my diameters are in order, only thing was that the width of the tire was too wide. Only a few mm, but still it would mean the whole wheel assembly could not turn properly in the wheel well. Am now remodelling the 3d file, and have it off to the SLA shop once again.

Have ordered a bulk of industry grade resin, and just to be on the safeside, have more silicone on standby. Hesaglas has arrived for the acrylic bits.

Time to get some sleep.

Cheers guys..

Wasili

Got my new ref this afternoon :cool Very happy here.....Had to scrap some parts i made for the rear, including the main gun turret i made. It was close, but with the new ref, it's going to be even better.

Still shooting for timely delivery. Got the name of a local cardboard box company that i can check out tomorrow as well.

Cheers,

Wasili

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 13th update, page 3 **

Thanks man thats awsome! Look like Ive got to make a 1/12 dropship for this to go with! I just did the calcs on the DS it would be 7.5feet long! :love

Steve

An SS dropship has been a very long wait! If you ever tackle it, pleeeeease give it the longer studio model nose, not the shorter mockup/Halcyon nose. :)

Great build, Wasili.

Thanx Martyn.

Small update.
- Rebuilding the turret and sled in 3d, and most of the greeblies on the rear.
- Ordered boxes today. The thickness of the cardboard walls is 1.5cm thick, triple layered to ensure super safe arrival.

Still a lot to do, but it's been fun all the way.

Cheers,

Wasili

Keith.

Really!!! I actually like better enamel paints than Acrylics, and had great results with humbrol, though I must the Tamiya spray cans are top notch, but then again the tamiya spray cans are enamels.

GFollano

Really!!! I actually like better enamel paints than Acrylics, and had great results with humbrol, though I must the Tamiya spray cans are top notch, but then again the tamiya spray cans are enamels.

GFollano

The Tamiya spray cans are a Lacquer based paint, whaterver that means.
Humbrol matt finish paints have a rough surface which makes them matt. If you could look at the finish of humbrol matt through a microscope the surface would look like a mountainscape. When you handle anything painted with this sort of finish, you wear down the surface texture in areas, which is what leaves the marks on the paint.

IMO Tamiya spray paints are perfect. I spray tamiya spray cans into my airbrush bottle for any fine work now. Take a look at the finish on my ED-209 parts painted with Tamiya spray cans:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=64889&page=4

Keith.

Well, here’s another vote in favor of Humbrol. Yes, they may be matte, but then, I use matte when I want matte. And I have found them to be smooth…unless they’ve changed the formulations recently. I’m not knocking the Tamiya spray, just saying I don’t think Humbrol is chopped liver.

Mark

Yes sorry I meant lacquer.

Like I said the tamiya spray cans are amazing, I painted my SS Tie and the surface was super smooth, the flow is perfect, even a beginner painter will have great result. In a airbrush I somehow prefer enamel paints, I not a big fan of acrylics.

GFollano

Small update:

New parts are rolling out of the cnc, based on new CAD- and 3d files i made. As mentioned i received some excellent new reference from Harry Harris, which allowed me to either tweak existing parts or build new ones if they were off.

First one to be ready is the main access door, and the rearend (with the ladder).

Cheers,

Wasili

Ok folks,

Time for pics updates. Here's the first one. I redid the rearend. Of all the parts, this one was way off. There's only one good shot from the rear (when the marines exit the APC at the colony, high rez still in Cinefex issue), as opposed to the 3/4 rear shot i had used to do the previous rearend.

Here's the new basic shape, with ventilation panes. Holes for ladder are already in place. The two longer parts have steps machined into them so all the panes position perfectly.

Wasili-APCwip42.jpg

Steps in place. There's two different sizes in vent panels, each machined from 1mm styrene. The lower backside is machined down to 0.35mm thick to give the impression it's a thin panel.

Wasili-APCwip43.jpg

Panels in place. No glue here. Looks thin, doesn't it ?

Wasili-APCwip44.jpg

comparison with old part. Way off. Can hardly believe that went through my fingers. The new part is also 0.75mm wider.

More soon.

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-APCwip45.jpg

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 15th update, page 4 **

update:

main access door.

From top to bottom:
Guide rail cover / springsteel bar / door / lower rail guide / rail guide supports.

Although difficult to make out here, the lower rail guide has a profile that perfectly fits the body, and a top ridge over which the door can slide. Each kit has a machined rail from styrene. Stronger than a cast one, and safes you the trouble of taking the flash off.

The top rail cover fairing is machined as i type this.

Wasili-APCwip46.jpg

close up of door handle. Here it's lose, not glued. Each handle is machined from styrene. 0.5mm thick, and no cleanup necessary.

More soon.

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-APCwip47.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 16th update, page 4 **

Thanx Rick, Hawaiiangb,

More very soon.

Cheers,

Wasili

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 16th update, page 4 **

Hello folks,

Update:

Redid the driver window. My earlier version was very close, but i did cut out the radii from the router in the corners, only to find out there are even bigger radii in reallife. So machined another window, still here without rivets. Old on top, new on bottom of pic.

Wasili-APCwip48.jpg

From top to bottom:
New parts for new main gun barrels (2.0)

Triangular parts are for the d-shackles on the nose.

Here's the parts for the front headlight 'chasm'. The panel with the two rectangular headlight cutouts is a seperate part. The chasm is deeper so you can put the headlight assembly in before adding the panel.

Wasili-APCwip49.jpg

Armor blocks (for lack of a better word) on top. Pictured here is the right one.

Wasili-APCwip50.jpg

Headlight reflector on the cnc. Here's the smoothing fase.

Wasili-APCwip51.jpg

And after machining. You can see a small ridge around the top. This is were the headlight glass falls in. Still needs hole for LED and small bits for positioning the bar that runs along the front of the headlight. Unnoticeable on every pic i've seen before, but Harry's supersharp ref clearly showed it.

Wasili-APCwip52.jpg

On the front there are two D-shackles. Made a simple 3d file, and machined them from styrene.

Wasili-APCwip53.jpg

I machined two halves, here seen pushed together (no glue and before cleanup).

Wasili-APCwip54.jpg

Finished D-shackle. Bolt on left. Bolt stil needs add on on left side. D shackles and bolts are seperate cast parts, and the bolt has a metal insert. sort of functional...well, sort of...

More soon.

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-APCwip55.jpg

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 17th update, page 4 **

Thats some very impressive work there. I feel like an amature now.

Keith.

Wow! I'm speechless at the level of detail that's going to be in this thing!

Harry

Keith, Harry and Rick.. Thanx... I'm really sure you're gonna love the next update :cool

Cheers,

Wasili

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back