Alien Nostromo emergency helmet

Deetz

This is my finished Nostromo helmet! 3D printed, sanded until my fingers were raw and painted :D (y) Thanks for looking!

20200110_075212.jpg20200110_073927.jpg20200110_073941.jpg20200110_074308.jpg20200110_075106.jpg20200110_075128.jpg

What did you use for the visor glass? It looks really perfect

I used 3mm PETG for the visors and then I used dye to tint the upper visor. The first attempt at tinting failed very badly. What I learned, and what most videos don't mention, is that you have to really skim the water after the dye has been put in. Let it boil for 5 minutes and then as it cools down start skimming. I did this continuously until I reached 150 F and then started testing the dye with small pieces. 140 F is a good temp to put your main piece in. When the test piece came out perfect only then did I put the visor into the dye. I used 1 dye packet for this, each dunk of the visor was for 30 to 40 seconds and then washed in cool water. I did this about 8 times until it was dark enough.

You've done an amazing job capturing such a complex structure.
I've bought your files as I've wanted one of these since I first saw the film in 1979.

You've done an amazing job capturing such a complex structure.
I've bought your files as I've wanted one of these since I first saw the film in 1979.
It's a tricky build, and there are 2 different versions to the helmet from the reference I have. I picked the version that has the dark visor attached to the helmet. Version two has the visors attached to each other and both rotate. Any questions just ask! :)

This is awesome! does it contain any 'found' parts? That red "valve connector cover" [for want of a better term] looks like it's repurposed.
I've checked out your site too,and have msged your through there.

This is awesome! does it contain any 'found' parts? That red "valve connector cover" [for want of a better term] looks like it's repurposed.
I've checked out your site too,and have msged your through there.

Hey thanks! It doesn't contain any found parts, they are hard to find these days and quite expensive. Everything was modelled from reference and 3D printed. The original helmet that the FX department pillaged for pieces is a rare item these days. The red valve cover was a drinking port for the pilot. :) The Nostromo helmet was based on a hockey helmet using parts from an R.A.F. "Taylor" Partial Pressure Helmet, Type E. R.A.F. Partial Pressure Helmet , and various other electrical geeblies.
Just superb!
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Howard! (y)

Amazing work, I cant believe the PETG came out that clear, gives me some hope for a project I am working on.

I love any and all Alien related projects, well executed!

It's a tricky build, and there are 2 different versions to the helmet from the reference I have. I picked the version that has the dark visor attached to the helmet. Version two has the visors attached to each other and both rotate. Any questions just ask! :)
The helmet body is now on the printer and is going to take around 110 hours to produce. I'm making the one like yours. Thanks for the offer of assistance.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back