ALIEN HELMET 3D PRINTED

GEEK1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys. So, I've been tinkering with the classic Alien helmet in Zbrush, with a view to printing and building an accurate replica, with the CO2 venting and internal lights etc

Pretty happy with progress but I've got to start on the greeblies and etchings stuff...I know that the Space 1999 hawk and the Ford tyrell kits were heavily used and I have good refs for those but there isn't much on the etchings. I've tracked down a few leads from here but they all seem to be dead ends. If anyone has good pics or knows where I can get accurate reference material, I would be most grateful. I am happy to work up some digital stuff to create print/laser files to etch if I can get the right images

Here's where I got so far;
ALIEN HELMET.jpg

ALIEN HELMET 2.jpg

ALIEN HELMET 1.jpg

That's looking really great. Really looks like something a space trucker company would issue to their crew - bulky and impractical.

I believe there is a video on youtube where Bob Burns show off the helmet, where you see the etchings and raised details. It's been a few years since I saw it, but I'll post it if I can find it again. I think I just searched for "Bob Burns" and maybe added "collection" to the search or other things. Wonder if the raised details are wall trim decorations just glued on!?

Attachments

• 315008_9.jpg
    315008_9.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 249
  • 315009_9.jpg
    315009_9.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 271
  • 315010_9.jpg
    315010_9.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 238
  • 315011_9.jpg
    315011_9.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 298
  • 315013_9.jpg
    315013_9.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 199
  • 315012_9.jpg
    315012_9.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 202
  • 315014_9.jpg
    315014_9.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 315015_9.jpg
    315015_9.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 245
Many thanks for all help and comments

There simply aren't enough hours in the day...anywho, got the greeblies done; still got some minor tweaks but I'm happy with the look so far

ALIEN HELMET 3.jpg
ALIEN HELMET 4.jpg
ALIEN HELMET 5.jpg

I will start on the etchings next...huge thanks to Promod for his generosity...I am hoping to produce a really accurate facsimile of the original brass etchings

Many thanks for all help and comments

There simply aren't enough hours in the day...anywho, got the greeblies done; still got some minor tweaks but I'm happy with the look so far

View attachment 1477185

Dude! You do such amazing work! And not just on this project!

I want to help you out on this. Unfortunately it'll probably mean that you are going to want to redraw a lot of this helmet.
But that's because you'll be making it more accurate!

I have a casting off of an original Alien helmet, and I'd be happy to share any pics and measurements. Just let me know what you need.

The first thing that stands out to me is that the neck is much shorter than you have drawn.

Alien 1.JPG

And you can see how much the chin angles back.

Here's the first dimension for you - the visor bubble uses a 15" diameter clear dome.
It makes for a really wide helmet!

Alien 3.JPG

I'll be able to post some more tomorrow. :D

Dude! You do such amazing work! And not just on this project!

I want to help you out on this. Unfortunately it'll probably mean that you are going to want to redraw a lot of this helmet.
But that's because you'll be making it more accurate!

I have a casting off of an original Alien helmet, and I'd be happy to share any pics and measurements. Just let me know what you need.

The first thing that stands out to me is that the neck is much shorter than you have drawn.

View attachment 1477324

And you can see how much the chin angles back.

Here's the first dimension for you - the visor bubble uses a 15" diameter clear dome.
It makes for a really wide helmet!

View attachment 1477336

I'll be able to post some more tomorrow. :D
WOW! That's an incredible piece Duncanator! Never thought I'd see an original one of these. The nearest I've come to one of these is handling the lamp they removed from the one they sprayed white for Ripley.

Yes, WOW...thanks Duncanator, that's exactly what I have been looking for...good side/front shots to model from. Really grateful to u for sharing these and any others u may be willing to share. More than happy to redraw what I have so far, to get a more accurate helmet

WOW! That's an incredible piece Duncanator! Never thought I'd see an original one of these. The nearest I've come to one of these is handling the lamp they removed from the one they sprayed white for Ripley.

I wish I had a casting of the head lamp. That would complete it if I ever get around to building this sucker, as I would like to do the diving-bell patina finish like Kane's.

Yes, WOW...thanks Duncanator, that's exactly what I have been looking for...good side/front shots to model from. Really grateful to u for sharing these and any others u may be willing to share. More than happy to redraw what I have so far, to get a more accurate helmet

Happy to share! That's what the RPF should be all about.

My piece is a raw casting. You can see the fibreglass hairs sticking out around the edges. I haven't sanded any of the seam lines either, so some of those should be softer than they are in the pictures.

You can see how crunchy some of the details are! I don't know if that's just because they were just working fast, or whether they were trying to go for a cast bronze, diving bell look. There are also some rough looking recesses where buttons and lights were to be installed. You can see a couple of those spots in the rear picture, just below the round detail at the top.

Here's a couple more pics that should help get more of the overall proportions. More to follow!

Alien 2.JPG

Here's sort of a weird angle, but I thought it'd be helpful to get the neck opening sorted out.
FYI: The lines on the table are inches not cm;).

Alien 4.JPG

Wow! This is great!

Duncanator, is this a casting off a screen used or production made helmet?
Either way, very cool all around.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back