Alien Egg chamber diorama

Demetrios2177

Hey, all!

Hope this finds everyone well.

On Easter, it came to me that I could turn an egg tray I had lying around into something more, well, visually satisfying, so I grabbed some materials and came up with this:

20220620_112114.jpg

20220620_112131a.jpg

Given the title of this topic, you probably know where this is going.

Maybe I should have taken some pictures of the building steps, sorry for that - on the other hand, there was nothing remarkable to the build itself, just the usual musings over which materials to use and how to achieve what.

I covered one of the egg holders with some styrene and used rough sandpaper as the floor (the other five egg holes are already prepped with masking tape for a coat of primer).

Also, I've found that contact cement is useful for some eerie alien residue sculpting.

20220620_112131b.jpg

The diorama will have a light source, Kane's dropped torch thingy. The light will come from a cut-down fairy light:

20220620_112505.jpg

With the torch (I hollowed it out for the wire):

20220620_112604.jpg

With the Hiya Toys Kane figure in place, this is how it looks for now:

20220620_112636.jpg

20220620_112650.jpg

20220620_112701.jpg

Next up will be more sanding, then priming and painting. I'll post the progress here.

Cheers, all!

A quick update on the egg chamber. I've applied a paint job of a black primer undercoat, then tried a mixture of flat black and dark olive green for the wall structure. The floor has a heavy drybrush of the same dark olive, with some lighter streaks of dark sand colour in a few places.

Now that the creative bug has bitten me, I'm thinking of adding more dimension to the rims of the egg bowls with some putty, add a "base of a tree" look to the egg bases, as if there were some roots going into the ground from them.

Will keep you updated. For now, I hope you enjoy!

20220629_160753.jpg

20220629_160846.jpg

EDIT: forgot this:

20220629_165701(0).jpg

Last edited:
Well...
having added some more Alien nastiness to the floor around the egg holders, fiddling around with the colours and glueing the LED inside Kane's dropped hand lamp...

20220709_122749.jpg

...and stuffing the battery pack very unceremoniously in the back...

20220709_122828.jpg

...all there seems to be left to do is a clear satin coat and glueing Kane permanently to the set.

20220709_122916.jpg

Thanks for looking, guys!

Nope; the intent was to keep them in some kind of statis. Implant is done by the facehugger. Problem with this concept is that you need a facehugger! The fully grown Alien cannot reproduce without it: it needs a Queen to produce the eggs.
James Cameron got it right in his movie Aliens(y)

Nope; the intent was to keep them in some kind of statis. Implant is done by the facehugger. Problem with this concept is that you need a facehugger! The fully grown Alien cannot reproduce without it: it needs a Queen to produce the eggs.
James Cameron got it right in his movie Aliens(y)
I had the impression that (in the original Alien, before Jim Cameron built upon the material) having the victims turn into eggs was the completion of the life cycle, and that all the eggs in the Derelict chamber may have been what had become of the rest of the crew of that ship.
On the other hand, there is a lot of background information that I've simply missed.

No idea whether the idea I have in my head would work, but what if the xenomorph can use both of those reproduction modes (queen laying eggs/prey transforming into eggs), depending on circumstance?

I had the impression that (in the original Alien, before Jim Cameron built upon the material) having the victims turn into eggs was the completion of the life cycle, and that all the eggs in the Derelict chamber may have been what had become of the rest of the crew of that ship.
On the other hand, there is a lot of background information that I've simply missed.

No idea whether the idea I have in my head would work, but what if the xenomorph can use both of those reproduction modes (queen laying eggs/prey transforming into eggs), depending on circumstance?
The eggs in the Derelict were weapons of war. As you know, they contain the facehugger that can infect a human, i.e. : giving birth to an Alien.
Only a Queen can lay those eggs;) The cocooned crew members were in statis waiting to be "impregnated" by a future facehugger.
Is seems that the Alien does that cocoon automatically with its human prays. (as the movie Aliens described clearly)

The eggs in the Derelict were weapons of war. As you know, they contain the facehugger that can infect a human, i.e. : giving birth to an Alien.
Only a Queen can lay those eggs;) The cocooned crew members were in statis waiting to be "impregnated" by a future facehugger.
Is seems that the Alien does that cocoon automatically with its human prays. (as the movie Aliens described clearly)
Sorry but this is just wrong. In the original Alien movie the adult alien turned its victims back into the facehugger eggs, which is shown in the deleted scene that Demetrios2177 linked to above. The idea of an alien queen didn't come about until Cameron created it in the sequel. That is now canon but was never part of the original concept, and the idea that the eggs were weapons of war is a retcon that came much later.

Sorry but this is just wrong. In the original Alien movie the adult alien turned its victims back into the facehugger eggs, which is shown in the deleted scene that Demetrios2177 linked to above. The idea of an alien queen didn't come about until Cameron created it in the sequel. That is now canon but was never part of the original concept, and the idea that the eggs were weapons of war is a retcon that came much later.
Never liked that concept...How can you turn a human body into an egg and, ultimately, a facehugger:oops::oops::oops: I surely prefer Cameron's idea...but that's just me I guess;)

How can you turn a human body into an egg and, ultimately, a facehugger
It reminds me of a caterpillar inside a cocoon turning into mush turning into a butterfly. Granted, here, it is done to the prey, which makes it really outlandish and gruesome to think about - but the basic concept is there in real life.
I like both versions. And, again, though Jim Cameron's is canon, it doesn't say, at lest in my own private head library, that the gooey life cycle can't be an alternative mode for the xenomorphs, depending on circumstance.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back