ALIEN (1979) motion tracker questions

This is probably the most important find in terms of replication, because it would have been the largest and most expensive piece to reproduce. That translates into something like $25 off the future kit price. :D

I'd like to see the thread's efforts now focused on the switches, connectors, lights, and those long filter-like parts that are slapped on both side walls in the front and back. Those would be relatively easy to model up in CAD and reproduce, but it would be nice to do so off real-world items if we can help it. :) The 2 remaining large items are the probe and the ice cube tray, and it would be nice to find out where the monitor came from. How cool would it be if we could add a Hyperdyne electronics kit in there. :love

This means all you UK based members are critical to the search, because this prop was put together in England and most likely used compenents primarily made or sold there.

Let's all work together to make February Alien Tracker Discovery Month. :thumbsup

- Gabe

The sliders upon the top of the scanner look very much like the sliders that altered the volume, colour, contrast, brightness and hue on an old ITT T.V. we had in the 70s.

The pic below shows similar sliders on a vintage T.V. - not my set BTW.

Howard.

If I may try and add something here...

graphic16ld.jpg

The part I have circled in yellow, that to me looks like a spedometer or similar guage from a car. Maybe even a voltmeter?

The object I indicated has a stepped profile, not just an ordinary smooth cylinder.

Here's a spedometer...
speedo.jpg

It too has a similar profile and brackets on the sides, just like the one on the Alien tracker.

Upon further review, it does appear that the housing is smooth, but I still think it's a spedometer/speedometer, tachometer of some sort. What I took to be a stepped edge now appears to be a black band running around the circumference of the object.

graphic12hr.jpg

Originally posted by Prop Runner+Feb 24 2006, 12:34 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prop Runner @ Feb 24 2006, 12:34 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Birdie
@Feb 23 2006, 03:50 PM
Here's the link, courtesy of WookUK from the Aliens Legacy, whose members have also been very helpful on this quest: I've found the 7" one: http://www.stadium-ventilation.co.uk/vents..._DRAINAGE_2.htm

The linked company only sell wholesale, so I'm going to call them and try and establish an outlet for this part.

If we manage to sort out a reliable supply, I will be co-ordinating an interest thread for the part. There is no point in getting Gabe to CAD the part if we can get a supply of the original item.
[snapback]1191782[/snapback]​
Awesome work, everybody. :D :thumbsup
And for the click-lazy:

grill_1.JPG

Thanks.

- Gabe
[snapback]1191812[/snapback]​
[/b]

Looking at the diagram, I hope it's only an interpretation and here's why. Going by SAS's post, you can see the radial support (on either side of the cutout) of his only goes through one ring. The radial support on the screen used goes through two and the radial support on the Stadium goes through all the way to the center. Now it's not that hard to correct, just cut out the supports but it would mean that there's yet another variation. But like I said, let's just hope it's an artist's interpretation.

DSB, the speedo idea looks pretty good, but there's that wierd little cover on the screen piece. We'll have to scour ebay (both US and UK) for old auto parts.

-Fred

Its so you can cut out the plastic inside the small ring to put a down pipe thru.

On the face of the 'speedo' I think it says N E S W on the four compass points. (?)

SAS

I was thinking the 'speedo' might be an aircraft instrument... Kinda looks like the 'package' that would be inserted into a hole in the control panel.

-Mike

Okay, after a lot of phoning around, I have found somewhere that will order the 7" gully grid from Stadium. As soon as I have one in my hands, I willput up pics. BTW,these work out at around £2.00 each:)

Nice work Birdie.

Gigatron, I believe the screen on the face is an aftermarket detail they added, but that's just my opinion.

SSB, my thoughts as well. They did use a lot of parts from old aircraft (IIRC), so it's very possible. Another thing that makes me think it was a spedometer, the part on the tracker has what look like "leads" trailing out of the bottom...like it was hooked up to a dashboard/control board.

Here are some more issues to consider.

The switches we're looking for most likely came off of one sound mixer or similar instrument. That means we're looking for a model that has AT LEAST 22 switches on it:

switches.JPG

Here's a vintage sound mixing board I found, but it's clear that the switches do not have enough taper or height to them:

Kustom_VI_sound_mixer_1.jpg

Kustom_VI_sound_mixer_2.jpg

There's a good chance some of the other large knobs and transistor-looking cylinders or knobs came from the same mixer board as the switches.

Also, what we've assumed were terminal blocks appear not to be. First, they're too shalow and I don't see where the screw to secrure the wires would go. Second, individual blocks appear to be missing in a couple of places and facing opposite directions on the handle base:

blocks.JPG

Let's keep looking. :)

- Gabe

'Kay, what turned me onto the sliders was a bit of old kit that I used to have called a Tascam 244. One of the first porta-studios that allowed 4 track recording on casette.

Managed to find a pic online:

[attachmentid=6797]

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Feb 21 2006, 03:59 PM

Before anybody accuses me of hoarding, I'd like it known that I never snipe anyone's auction if I recognize them as RPFers,
- Gabe

[snapback]1189854[/snapback]​

Best be no complaining. It takes some effort to track and acquire items like these. To the victor go the spoils.

I for one honor the RPF bidder bit myself if I know someone is bidding. The other day I was 10 seconds shy of nailing that kenko when YOUR NAME POPPED UP AS HIGH BIDDER. took some major self control to get my trigger finger off the bid button. :D

Aw, Rick - very considerate. :) I'd already placed a bid early on to "mark my territory," but I wanted to let others conduct the bidding war - no point in me jacking up the price.

Hope you score the next one. ;)

Simon - THOSE ARE IT.. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup That's 2 for 2... :D How many switches does it have? Let the hunt begin. :D If one of you gets your hands on one, I'd be grateful to have it sent my way so I can reverse-engineer it in CAD and have it injection-molded in quantities, because the tool would be super-cheap. :love

- Gabe

Hey Gabe - there are only five, I think, but that shouldn't be a problem, as they will be easy to reproduce. I'm watching a couple on Ebay right now. Wish I still had the damn thing. :angry

Edit:

Once of the Tascams I'm watching appears to be non-functioning, which suits my budget and our purposes :)

Just some shots in the dark at the terminal blocks: the ones at the rear look like they may have been mountings for something - rocker switches maybe?

The ones on the handle, maybe fuse mountings? Still thinking along the lines of what may have been stripped from aircraft fuselage.

Oh, and the big dial top right looks like a combination lock from a safe. Or another aircraft control :lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back