ALIEN (1979) motion tracker questions

Huh. I hadn't seen this thread until now and I'm glad I finally did. I recently picked up a TV and have spent a little bit of time comparing it to caps, etc. After checking this thread I realized why it seemed to me that the TV was heavily modified. Because I have the wrong TV. :lol Oh, well. $3.50 U.S. down the drain. I guess I'll just have to use it as a TV now.

I may have the correct ice trays. I'll check tonight. If they are where I think they are, I'll be able to post my findings later.

The ice trays I believe I still have are from the late 70's or early 80's. I know I recognized the design when I first saw Bob Burns showing off this part on the original prop. If I can find mine, they should be similar if not exact. Of course, I'm only interested in exact.

BTW - my other observations are that the various knobs I believe were or are generic replacement knobs. I know I've seen them as replacements before and they should still be available, either new or used. In pics showing the sensing tube unpainted, these parts look like galvanized steel roof vent parts. If this is the case, even if the exact shapes and sizes are no longer available, they would be easy to make.

Originally posted by Birdie+Feb 23 2006, 05:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Birdie @ Feb 23 2006, 05:20 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Gigatron
@Feb 23 2006, 04:35 PM
I think this tray might be very close, but without dimensions of the prop one, I can't tell:

http://www.dyersonline.com/pc-70-268-mini-...cube-trays.aspx

-Fred
[snapback]1191463[/snapback]​

I think that tray has too many cups, though it's hard to tell with that tiny pic.
[snapback]1191504[/snapback]​
[/b]

Nope, 12 cups per the description :D.

-Fred

This should be of help in the search for the drain cover:

tracker_drain_cover_dia.JPG

Good luck, UK people. :)

- Gabe

Radar part is almost abosultely found.

I was playing through ebay this morning and came across this UK auction

radar-dishA.jpg

Now this is a 6" version. I've been working with Proprunner and Birdie on this since this morning. Birdie has identified the manufacturer ( :thumbsup ) and he is contacting them about the correct size

Hopefully, we will all soon be able to have at least one correctly identified piece :D

Thanks to WC for hosting.

-Fred

That looks the part. Give it another inch in diameter and your there. Hope the manufacturer comes back with the correct size.

Well Done.

Yep.

Thanks for including me in the search, guys. You've both filled up my PM box today. :lol

I'll wait for Simon to post the photo off the manufacturer's site, but it looks like he's nailed the 7" grill, and it's as common and as cheap as paper cups.

Way to go, both of you. :D :thumbsup

Wait for it...
seal_1.jpg

:lol

- Gabe

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Feb 23 2006, 11:41 PM
Yep.

Thanks for including me in the search, guys.  You've both filled up my PM box today. :lol

I'll wait for Simon to post the photo off the manufacturer's site, but it look like he's nailed the 7" grill, and it's as common and as cheap as paper cups.

Wait for it...
seal_1.jpg

- Gabe
[snapback]1191776[/snapback]​

Here's the link, courtesy of WookUK from the Aliens Legacy, whose members have also been very helpful on this quest: I've found the 7" one: http://www.stadium-ventilation.co.uk/vents..._DRAINAGE_2.htm

The linked company only sell wholesale, so I'm going to call them and try and establish an outlet for this part.

If we manage to sort out a reliable supply, I will be co-ordinating an interest thread for the part. There is no point in getting Gabe to CAD the part if we can get a supply of the original item.

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Feb 23 2006, 11:41 PM
Yep.

Thanks for including me in the search, guys.  You've both filled up my PM box today. :lol

I'll wait for Simon to post the photo off the manufacturer's site, but it look like he's nailed the 7" grill, and it's as common and as cheap as paper cups.

Wait for it...
seal_1.jpg

- Gabe
[snapback]1191776[/snapback]​

Gabe, what would a discovery thread be withat ya' bud? ;) :lol

Just for fun, you should come up with a CAD model anyway. We wouldn't want you gettin' rusty.

Birdie, if you get one case of 25, I'm pretty sure they'll all be spoken for in a matter of minutes :D.

Good work evryone :D.

Now let's get on the other parts.

-Fred

Originally posted by Birdie@Feb 23 2006, 03:50 PM
Here's the link, courtesy of WookUK from the Aliens Legacy, whose members have also been very helpful on this quest: I've found the 7" one: http://www.stadium-ventilation.co.uk/vents..._DRAINAGE_2.htm

The linked company only sell wholesale, so I'm going to call them and try and establish an outlet for this part.

If we manage to sort out a reliable supply, I will be co-ordinating an interest thread for the part. There is no point in getting Gabe to CAD the part if we can get a supply of the original item.
[snapback]1191782[/snapback]​
Awesome work, everybody. :D :thumbsup
And for the click-lazy:

grill_1.JPG

Everyone - please let Simon be the point-man for contacting this company. No need for redundant inquiries, since these can only be purchased through a wholesale account or individually through retailers.

You know I'm in for at least 25... :angel

by the way, the reason I "hoarded" so many TVs is so I could chop them up into moldable panels after all the greeblies are either identified and reverse-engineered or interpreted in CAD from the photos and then attached. Since I expect some trial & error and a lot of wonton destruction, I wanted to make sure I had some backups... :D Any TVs that survive the ordeal unscathed will be offered up for sale, I promise. ;)

I also plan on calling Bob Burns and asking if I can come take measurements and close-up photos of the greeblies on his hero tracker. Does anyone have his contact information? If so, please PM or e-mail to me at proprunner@aol.com.

Thanks.

- Gabe

Originally posted by Birdie@Feb 23 2006, 11:50 PM
If we manage to sort out a reliable supply, I will be co-ordinating an interest thread for the part.

INTERESTED.

Oh... Not yet?...

I checked a couple of boxes here looking for the old ice trays. I found one in a box that does not belong to me and it's the wrong design.

I have four old ones around somewhere, but I have no clue where. They could be in storage at a friends place too. In other words, no go right now. I thought if I were lucky enough to have the right style and find them, I would send them to Gabe for molding. Oh, well. :(

I'll do some more hunting.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back