Alclad chrome - advice needed

Yeah, but for Alclad you need an airbrush, which I don't have.

Get something like this to start. I have that pump and started with that airbrush. Cost of entry is really low. The pump works absolutely fine for airbrushing models. I have done about 10 models now using it and it's been great to use. Eventually I'll get a higher quality one, but it works and does what it's suppose to for now.

-Kris

Get something like this to start. I have that pump and started with that airbrush. Cost of entry is really low. The pump works absolutely fine for airbrushing models. I have done about 10 models now using it and it's been great to use. Eventually I'll get a higher quality one, but it works and does what it's suppose to for now.

-Kris

Nice starter kit. It's really good when you want to try something new and it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg just to try it out :)

Bad website, the text is painful :(

Price???? :confused

Looks good and reminds me of a Japanese "powder chrome" which also seem pretty damn nice. I will definitely get some and try it out.

For an Endo arm i would try to use real chromed pipings to replace the resin casts and i would give aluminium foil a try on the rest of the pieces.

Nice starter kit. It's really good when you want to try something new and it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg just to try it out :)

Bad website, the text is painful :(

Price???? :confused

Looks good and reminds me of a Japanese "powder chrome" which also seem pretty damn nice. I will definitely get some and try it out.

Ha.....whats going on there?....bright green text

Its £12 per jar.....& is supposed to last a good while.....I might get it to see how it fares on my Bandai R2

J

Ha.....whats going on there?....bright green text

Its £12 per jar.....& is supposed to last a good while.....I might get it to see how it fares on my Bandai R2

J

Bad web design is what is going on :p

I will get a jar and try it out on a few different items.

That C1 Metalizer reminds me of an old (1990s?) article in "Fine Scale Modeler" from a plane modeler who used varnish and aluminium powder. It could be that this is just an expensive version of that same principle. The finish achieved in the FSM article was close to the one in the youtube film. So check your local arts store for metal powders for different finishes. Disadvantage of this method: not suitable for surfaces with much relief and nooks and crannies.

Have ordered that C1 Metalizer, can´t wait to receive it and test it. Am looking for a good affordable chrome solution which doesn´t require to buy a complete airbrush set (my wife would kill me).

So I tested with the C1 Metalizer and I am impressed. I've gotten my best chrome results ever. I have never experienced with Alclad as I don't have an airbrush. I do have experienced with Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome (aerosol can) but in most cases I got some silver result. I can imagine I don't have mastered the technique with this kind of paint and spraying very thin layers. But that's why I love C1 metalizer. I don't need to be a master painter or paint sprayer. I just painted with a cheap aerosol black gloss and the results after addeing C1 metalizer are amazing. Perhaps people who can Alclad or Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome to work this may look bad. But for me, it's the best result I've got so far with all my tests. And the simplicity of it is a big plus for me.

Here are some pics of my tests with C1 Metalizer.
c1metal01.jpg

c1metal02.jpg

c1metal03.jpg

c1metal04.jpg

Here's a comparison of C1 Metalizer and Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome. You can see the difference and also have an idea of my mirror chrome painting "skills":
c1metal05.jpg

I am currently doing my Terminator Spider Tank with C1 Metalizer. Will post the results once it is ready.

Mine arrived this week. I want to see how it looks clear-coated and if you can put washes on top.

My provisional plan is to use it on a vinyl kit. If this is just metal powder rubbed into the lacquer, I really can't see how it can hurt it...

I suspect that this, like decal fixing solutions, likely have cheaper homebrew alternatives. However, the prices for a predictable result are pretty reasonable.

When I did my JAAKS R2-D2 conversion I started painting the Dome with Alclad II Aluminium but I was not happy with the result and it was super delicate to handle, ripping off when using masking tape and what have you. I then saw a demo on Youtube using AK InteractiveTrue Metal and it saved my day. Its super forgiving when applying and you don't really need a special base coat and it just sticks when masking so my 5 cents goes to AK...but you need a Airbrush.

IMG_3088.jpg
My R2 build, all Alu parts where Painted using AKs True Metal.

EDIT: Just saw that C1 Metalizer vid...looks very impressive indeed.

Last edited:
Regarding C1 metallizer, I'll just start off by saying, this stuff does NOT stay in the damn jar. As soon as you carefully screw off the lid, some of the powder come pouring out.

Onto my first results, tried it out on my half-ruined replica graflex clamp:
c1test.jpg

Like it has been said, the stuff does not rub off, so you don't need to worry about touching the surface after you are done rubbing and cleaning it off.

Regarding C1 metallizer, I'll just start off by saying, this stuff does NOT stay in the damn jar. As soon as you carefully screw off the lid, some of the powder come pouring out.

Onto my first results, tried it out on my half-ruined replica graflex clamp:
View attachment 637827

Like it has been said, the stuff does not rub off, so you don't need to worry about touching the surface after you are done rubbing and cleaning it off.

Looks good. What are your thoughts in person? Really need to see an endoskull to judge.;)

Ben

Looks good. What are your thoughts in person? Really need to see an endoskull to judge.;)

Ben

I did the whole clamp last night. And I have to say, it kind of does make the metal a little too dark really. So I personally wouldn't use it on an endoskull.

Impressive! Did you use a high gloss paint as a base coat? That is shiny:) Going to use it on my Phasma build.

Yes gloss black from alclad if I remember then the alclad. Still have the paint at home but probably stuffed by now.
Another pic

T800-03.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back