Alclad chrome - advice needed

Andymac84

Sr Member
Hey guys and girls.
I have a prop incoming which will prooobably need a new full coating with chrome paint. I would like to try the alclad chrome producht. The instructions says 'only apply with an airbrush-gun'. Is there any other solution, because I don't have a airbrush equipment..

I've used the Spaz Stix spray and it does work very well. The manufacturer suggests applying several coats for a smoother mirror like finish. But there isn't a whole lot of paint in the can. I dont know how large your project is but at 12-15 dollars a can it can get very expensive.

I've used the Spaz Stix spray and it does work very well. The manufacturer suggests applying several coats for a smoother mirror like finish. But there isn't a whole lot of paint in the can. I dont know how large your project is but at 12-15 dollars a can it can get very expensive.

Good to know. It would have been needed for a Terminator 2 Endoarm. I was planning to use at least two cans.....

That Alclad is for Lexan RC car bodies, not resin and other plastics. And has to be sprayed on the inside of the clear shell.

I have a similar need. I´m working on a Terminator project, a T-1000 bust and also to chrome the lifesize head. Have ordered 1 aerosol can of Spaz Stix Mirror chrome with another aerosal Spaz primer to test it. As I can't find these in Europe, I had to buy them in the USA which makes them expensive with all the shipping etc. If someone has a good address here in Europe, please let me know. I'm from the Netherlands.

Also, does someone have an idea have many aerosol cans of Spaz Stix chrome + primer one would need for a lifesize head?

Last edited:
Hey guys, too much trouble for a simple setup of airbrushing system... To get the full potential of ALCLAD stuff... I think you are just searching for a horn in a horse's head!
I used to paint models with regular brushes / spray cans, but the results were never too good,, after researching A LOT (I did not want to invest too much in a thing which I did not knew if I was good using)

I got mine airbrush set about 1 year ago for under €100
I got a starter airbrush pistol for just €49 on eBay.

Then I got an used 6kg compressed O2 cylinder (covered it with self-adhesive film, looks very nice now) for a little as €20 and one full charge for €12
3 good reasons why I opted for the cylinder:
1) I live in apartment and like to work at night, so no noise of a compressor running at 3am ;-)
2) Not even 1/3 price of a good compressor
3) One year using it and I've recharged only once!!

Adapters, tubing and sundry another €15

€96 And, done my airbrush setup was ready to go.

Ok, now days (I like to fool myself that I mastered the art of airbrushing..lol..) I know I need a professional airbrush gun, but still using my starter one.

Example using this very set and ALCLAD chrome.
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=241091
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=244233

My advice is simple: If you think you will build more models, props.. or any handcraft/other projects? This is were you REALLY need to go...

Just saying...

My advice is simple: If you think you will build more models, props.. or any handcraft/other projects? This is were you REALLY need to go...

Just saying...
I think my project is the only project I will do. Perhaps a second one if time allows it but that will be it for the first 5 years I guess. So I'm not planning to buy an airbrush, wouldn't even know where to store it. That's why I'm thinking of the Spaz aerosol can solution.. My first cans are on the way, so I can test it when they have arrived.

Cool man, I understand, go for it them.. remember to post your work! I would love to see.

I think my project is the only project I will do. Perhaps a second one if time allows it but that will be it for the first 5 years I guess. So I'm not planning to buy an airbrush, wouldn't even know where to store it. That's why I'm thinking of the Spaz aerosol can solution.. My first cans are on the way, so I can test it when they have arrived.

http://alsacorp.com/killer-chrome/

I've used their paints before and they are worth the cost. Expensive set of paint for modeling, but like they say, it's real metal that's coming out of the can... You really can't get any closer to chrome than what they offer unless you do chrome plating.

-Kris
Indeed expensive (and then I even't don't know the shipping costs and import duty for transporting it to Europe). Is it wise to buy the kit of 149 USD? I need to paint a lifesize bust completely in chrome.

I just tested with a complete can of Spaz Stiz Mirror CHrome (together with their black backer) but I'm not really sold on it. Perhaps it's the way I have used them (followed different guides on youtube), but it's more silver that I'm getting than mirroring chrome. Even with a light dusting way of spraying. And even different reactions of the paint on the same resin part.

The lifesize bust project will have to get a good chrome look, and equally chrome on every part.

Last edited:
I would absolutely recommend using AlsaCorp's Killer Chrome kit on the life sized bust. If you follow their directions to a 't' you'll get the results you see on their webpage. You really can't beat their product without actually chrome plating it. Which I would imagine chrome plating to be much more expensive. I'm sure they would give you a quote on shipping over seas.

-Kris

I would absolutely recommend using AlsaCorp's Killer Chrome kit on the life sized bust. If you follow their directions to a 't' you'll get the results you see on their webpage. You really can't beat their product without actually chrome plating it. Which I would imagine chrome plating to be much more expensive. I'm sure they would give you a quote on shipping over seas.

-Kris
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ZVt6A0ntY

I´m a bit torn

Yeah, the problem is that you need to follow what alsacorp does to a 't'. I've used their paint before, but not the chrome ones. Alclad seems like a cheaper alternative and may be worth it to try out.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back