Akira - Kaneda's Bike Resources + Build

Nate Alig

I have taken it upon myself to engage in a truly ambitious build.

The coolest (and easily most futuristic) looking motorcycle to ever to grace the silver screen.

Kaneda_Bike_01.jpg

The decision was made while having a conversation with my brother. We were discussing movie vehicles, and figuring out the logistics of building one of the Jeeps from Jurassic Park (number 18 to be specific). I'm not a fan of Jeeps (or off-road vehicles in general) and much prefer fast, slick, low-slung vehicles like motorcycles and sports cars... and also not too keen on the initial money required to purchase the Jeep Wrangle Sahara needed for the JP build.

I had considered the Batmobile from 1989 (way too expensive).
Delorean time machine from BTTF II (potentially even more expensive)

I needed something I could build entirely from scratch, with parts I could source from the salvage yard and hardware stores, and would be instantly recognized in public. I also wanted something unique enough that it would be highly unlikely for me to see another one on the road.

Kaneda's Motorcycle... Perfect.

I'm pretty far away from my workshop right now, so for now, I'll be using this thread to amass reference photos, screen shots, dimensional drawings, and pictures of the hand full of replicas that have already been built. I'll also be collecting parts in the mean-time, and will include part numbers and dimensions relative to the "actual" bike.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:
Here's a few shots of a more recent highly detailed scale model.
If anybody owns the Medicom or any other exquisite looking models, I'd like to request some more specific pictures.
Naturally, the mechanical aspects of the bike will be different (re. realistic from an engineering standpoint) but the goal is to get the bike's dimensions and geometry as accurate as possible.
8.jpg7.jpg6.jpg5.jpg4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Last edited:
I found a couple of frame designs that seem to be pretty close.
I'd like to use a gasoline engine, but an electric version also seems like an excellent idea... ZERO Motorcycles is literally 20 minutes away from my house. Who knows? Maybe they'd like to sponsor my build with a motor and a battery pack?

frame 2.jpgframe 3.jpgframe 1.jpg

Last edited:
It'd probly be easier and cheaper to modify a scooter. It would require bigger wheel and tires, and a little more rake on the front forks, but I guess the small engie size would be a problem. Although, a scaled down, mini-bike version would be pretty cool, even if it's already been done.

Now this is a bike i'd buy and ride. I just love the style, kinda surprised no companies actually make anything like it.

There was a company in Japan several years ago offering a version of the bike forsale, but I don't think they sold many (it was expensive, and made to order...)

Then there's this one:
The Only 'Officially Recognized' Akira Bike Replica | Geekologie

7 years and $120,000 in the making, but it's all kinds of badass...
:)
Yeah, I saw that one.
I personally think the scaling is a little small... and they spent WAY too much money and time building it.
I can probably have mine ready to rock 'n' roll in 18 months and I can keep it down to a 4-5 grand on the build cost.

They should have got a smaller guy to ride it since Kaneda was a teenager it might look a little better. I hope yours sounds like a real motorcycle when done! haha This sounded kind of under powered.

They should have got a smaller guy to ride it since Kaneda was a teenager it might look a little better. I hope yours sounds like a real motorcycle when done! haha This sounded kind of under powered.
It had a Kawasaki twin in it with a single exhaust, so it was pretty quiet. I'm confident I can get a far more ferocious noise out of it with twin pipes and some sporty exhaust and tuning.

It'll be dolled up all pretty. The more gimmicks, the better. I already sourced the flip-up headlight that everybody seems to forget.

I like people who set the bar high. I wish you the best, and look forward to progress pictures!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I was working on my frame design, and have made a prudent decision.
I'm going to do a prototype build (possibly 2) as a bicycle. I want to optimize the handling of what is essentially a very low chopper with fat tires, and where I'm at right now it's significantly easier to acquire free/cheap bike parts than it is to get motorcycle parts. I'm also in possession of an 88cc motorized bicycle kit, so I can putt around on it and look like a badass... which is also cool.
As soon as I get back to my tools and equipment, I'll be able to really get into this build.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back