AIRWOLF: the Firefoxy version of Blue Thunder

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Chrisisall

Sr Member
Remember this show? How cool was that first season, eh?:cool
I recently decided that I need a new Airwolf model, since the one I have now I made back in 1985 with my kid-skills. It came out okay, but it got pretty busted up through the years in all the moves. Last year I took the pieces and carefully reassembled it. However, I merely restored it.

Now I see all kinds of improvements I could make if I did one today, alas, Airwolf models are scarce. And when they DO show up on eBay, they are CRAZY expensive. An Aoshima model is currently going for $82 (and the bidding isn't even over). An Aoshima diecast goes for near $500. The AMT/ERTL model almost never shows up at all, and it commands a high price when it does (like once a year). And the 14" ERTL diecasts just don't look very good at all IMO- way too many issues there. I'm not fond of working on diecasts to that severe a degree. Grind grind drill drill...

I could just make one from scratch, but I just don't have the time right now.

SO- almost by sheer accident yesterday I find this company in China named Kitech offering an Airwolf kit for just $15!!!! The pictures of the parts make it look pretty workable (extremely similar to the 1984 ERTL kit), so I ordered one.

When I get this kit, I think I'm going to toss the main rotor blade & make a more flexible one from scratch, as well as a metal rotor mast to attach it to, anchoring into the main body. This will require more strength in the interior, so more sheet styrene work in the upper fuselage. Probably metal landing gear replacements as well, as (for now) I plan to do the "sitting in the Lair" look.

Any Stringfellow fans here wanna pop a sunburst & show us your Lady?

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

wheresmurphy_43

I'm looking forward to seeing your updates! I bought a Kitech a few years ago, like you said basically a Ertl except this one comes with 2 pilot figures. I don't know about putting my pictures up though.. my modeling skills are no where near the skill of the people on this website. I bow to them all and their abilities

Chrisisall

Sr Member
Heh, the pilot figures look like 'lifts' from other kits, but easily workable into ones with the right helmets & suits with a tiny bit of effort.:darnkids

Last edited:

robn1

Master Member
Loved the pilot movie. First season was OK, better than most action shows of the time. Second season, meh.

I look forward to seeing your build. I got the ERTL kit back in the day but never built it.

Monster Dave

Sr Member
Airwolf is one of my favorite 80s shows. I build several of the Airwolf model kits and have one that's been assembled but sealed in a box protected with styofoam peanuts since I moved in 2003!!

Commander Dan

I started this kit about a year and a half ago, but I managed to get sidetracked with other projects. I was actually trying to modify the cockpit to make it more like the one seen on the show. I really need to pull it back out and resume work on it...

Chrisisall

Sr Member
I started this kit about a year and a half ago
The Kitech kit?
From my research (I won't get the kit for a couple of weeks I'm assuming) it seems the cockpit needs fine tuning, the intakes need opening up, & the overhead windows need to be wider.

Sidetracked. Yeah, I got a Jupiter 2 half done myself...:facepalm

Weaselhammer

Sr Member
I had an AMT/ERTL kit when I was younger and my modeling skills were horrible, but I loved it almost as much as the show (I can still hear the theme song in my head). I did see on Youtube a while back where a guy built a 1/4 scale Airwolf R/C copter and it even had turbos ! It was really something.

JMChladek

Sr Member
Why not just get the new tool Aoshima kit? The nose is a little off (a nose graft with an AMT or Kitech kit might work for that or just some epoxy putty resculpting), but it has proper pilots and the flight engineering station in the back. Plus, the turbo thruster and weapon wing sections are better proportioned than the old AMT ones were (which the Kitech ones are copies of).

Cybermodeler has a review of the kit:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/aos/kit_aos_04495.shtml

J Scorn

Sr Member
look forward to seeing up dates on this one i too am an airwolf fan and recently done a cossy (in my albums)

brutalmagic

Looking forward to the updates. Loved this show as a kid, However what was the season about with Dick van dykes son?

Monster Dave

Sr Member
I've built my beloved Airwolf several times. I'll see if I've got any pics. LOVE that show!

Here's the kit that I built:

Always loved the box art on this kit.

JMChladek

Sr Member
That was the really horrible "season 4" of Airwolf produced in Canada. Not that I disrespect Canadian television productions as they had to start somewhere before getting to produce such shows as X-Files, Stargate SG-1 and the Galactica reboot, but the production values were CRAP in the late 1980s (not much better than "The Starlost". So, many Airwolf fans consider Season 4 to have never existed in the original timeline considering how many changes there were from Season 3 to 4. But that is what can happen when your main star does a "Charlie Sheen" about 25 years before Sheen himself did it.

IMHO, there were a couple episodes that had potential, but it was always a story written around Airwolf stock footage with maybe any new shots requiring the Lady being shot with poor model work instead of the actual helicopter.

Monster Dave

Sr Member
That was the really horrible "season 4" of Airwolf produced in Canada. Not that I disrespect Canadian television productions as they had to start somewhere before getting to produce such shows as X-Files, Stargate SG-1 and the Galactica reboot, but the production values were CRAP in the late 1980s (not much better than "The Starlost". So, many Airwolf fans consider Season 4 to have never existed in the original timeline considering how many changes there were from Season 3 to 4. But that is what can happen when your main star does a "Charlie Sheen" about 25 years before Sheen himself did it.

IMHO, there were a couple episodes that had potential, but it was always a story written around Airwolf stock footage with maybe any new shots requiring the Lady being shot with poor model work instead of the actual helicopter.
Season 4 was HORRIBLE. But I've read a good deal about it and the show was doomed by the time it was decided to change the cast and relocate.

Seasons 1-3 I loved. I know that there were some hookie episodes, but I love to see The Lady. The one with Moffet's Ghost, the HX-1, and of course Red Wolf were some of my favorites. I really liked Sweet Britches too - seeing Airwolf hover 4 feet off the ground shooting up the sheriff's department was awesome.

JMChladek

Sr Member
Yup, and if you look close at some of the shots in Sweet Britches, you'll notice the ADF pod got a little dented as at one point, the copter lost some lift and partially smacked it on the back.

Best low altitute hover shot IMHO was in "Daddy's Gone a Hunting" where they not only hovered the ship, but had a person get lifted on board through an open door and then shoved a stunt guy with the nose, all while not wobbling. THAT scene took a great stunt pilot to pull off IMHO.

Monster Dave

Sr Member
Yup, and if you look close at some of the shots in Sweet Britches, you'll notice the ADF pod got a little dented as at one point, the copter lost some lift and partially smacked it on the back.

Best low altitute hover shot IMHO was in "Daddy's Gone a Hunting" where they not only hovered the ship, but had a person get lifted on board through an open door and then shoved a stunt guy with the nose, all while not wobbling. THAT scene took a great stunt pilot to pull off IMHO.

I can juuuust imagine the look on the pilots face every time he bounced The Lady off the ground...ooopps...

:facepalm

I'll have to revisit DGAH and rewatch that scene. Off the top of my head, I can't recall it at the moment.

JMChladek

Sr Member
Well they don't show it happening on camera. But in a couple shots it looks dented in the back as they cut to shots from after the helicopter belly smacked the ground slightly.