Airwolf Helmet finished

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by JasonCash, Feb 3, 2012.

1. JasonCash

JasonCash Well-Known Member

Hey guys I just finished my Airwolf helmet kit. After many hours of working bondo and sanding to get rid of the seams I'm happy with how it turned out. I still have to figure out how I wanna do the neck seal part.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TECKNOVIKING likes this.
  2. DS Operative

DS Operative Well-Known Member

Well done! Always has been one of my favorite shows (the first season anyway). The paint job looks great. Didn't I read somewhere that the "mouth greeblie" is the back end of an AT-AT?

3. nlschutd

nlschutd Well-Known Member

Long time ago i saw somathing of airwolf looks nice

4. JasonCash

@DS I believe they used the back end piece from an At-At model, what that piece originally came for I have no idea

5. AMP

AMP Well-Known Member

Awesome work!

6. keysersoze30

keysersoze30 Well-Known Member

Looks spot on, congrats on an awesome job

7. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Really a great helmet!

8. JasonCash

thnx guys for the kind words...I'm really proud of it

9. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

Awesome helmet ! Very nice work, and one of my favorite shows from my youth !

10. rkeChris

rkeChris New Member

That looks great. Love the show. Didn't realize they had kits for this.

11. cyclone

cyclone New Member

epic mate,looks great.

12. Miker

Miker Well-Known Member

Fantastic work! Can you tell us where you got the kit? As a helo pilot and air wolf fan (naturally) I would really like to seek out one of these kits! Also, is it possible in your opinion to motorized the blast shield?
    Thanks and congrats on an amazing prop!
    Mike

13. Martin-El

Martin-El Well-Known Member

Great great piece nicely finished...!

14. JasonCash

I got the kit off ebay for $80, they pop up from time to time. As for the visor I would love to know how to motorize it. I also need help on making the neck seal part of this.

15. MoviefanAZ

MoviefanAZ Member

I loved that show. Fantastic work!

16. Miker

Miker Well-Known Member

I suppose the first part of that would be to know if your visor moves up and down manually...if so, then next would be whether when you put the helmet on if there is clearance inside to house a small rc servo...if so then it's doable!

M

17. JasonCash

If I was able to find a visor that fit inside juuuuuust right them I'd be able to make it movable but for now I used an extra visor I had laying around and cut it to shape and hot glue it into place....temporary solution

18. MarshallBarnett

MarshallBarnett New Member

I remember reading about and seeing pictures of the small compressed air tank that Jan-Michael Vincent wore on the back of his belt, that was connected to the helmet visor. If you watch carefully he would activate one of the switches on the left side of the helmet to lower the helmet visor and then to raise the visor, the editors simply ran the film backwards. The same principle applied to the machine guns that extended out from the small "wings". Only one of these machine guns actually popped out, but in order to make it look like they both did and to get them to retract, the editors flipped the image and reversed it as needed.

19. Boomerjinks

Boomerjinks Well-Known Member

That is AMAZING!

20. greenguy

greenguy Well-Known Member

Jason,

Go over to ebay and type in: windjammer

You should come up with some results for a motorcycle cycle helmet wind blocker. Maybe that can be used as a neck seal if it fits the Airwolf helmet.

Nice work!

Scott

21. who45

who45 Well-Known Member

the windjammer is what i used for my neck seal, but as you cut the helmet so short like i did on my first build you will need to make a 1.5" plastic collar inside the helmet so it supports itself under its circular tension:

so you go from this:
    [​IMG]

add a 1.5" plastic strip and bend it inside the helmet. once you have your lengh sorted and bent simply bend that bit of plastic into the windjammer, then insert the lot into the bottom of the helmet - a bit of persuasion and swearing and keep putting it in until it sits right, then hot glue on the inside to secure it if you want, but to be honest mine was so tight it simply supports itself, you have this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i also gave up on expensive tinted bike helmets and opted for 2mm polycarb as it doesnt snap when bent and simply added a limo tint film to the inside, only hassle was you have to put the tint on when the polycarb is bent to shape ;)

when i made myself a second helmet i altered the way i made it slightly to allow the windjammer to slide over an extended collar i made, rather than mess around making plastic collars and fitting internally:
    [​IMG]

the result after i adjusted my helmet entitled me to pull a one piece part making my second build alot easier as there was virtually no prep work required when it came to the finishing of the helmet:
    [​IMG]

and my 2 helmets from my alterations, on the left the collar ready for a windjammer, on the right the windjammer slid over the extended collar i incorporated into my helmet:
    [​IMG]

to make it wearable i found a great little health and safety vaseball cap from rs components: simply remove the cap and hotglue this part in when you have the position sorted:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
    TECKNOVIKING likes this.
  22. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Do you still make these?

23. TECKNOVIKING

TECKNOVIKING Active Member

Just found this one.

As a HUGE fan of the Airwolf series and of the LADY. Had to leave a comment of JOB WELL DONE with the pilot helmet.

24. JasonCash

thank you sir

25. time mistress

time mistress New Member

That is amazing..would love to get my hands on a kit soon!

26. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

I have a helmet kit but it's just the two helmet halves. It does not have the front greeblies.

PM me if interested.

27. dino8836

dino8836 Member

Ahhh, the memories of Airwolf. It was a great show but now I have that music they played whenever it was flying around... na...nananana..na..nana..na. nanana..

Great bulid!!!

28. The Mad Professor

The Mad Professor Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great job on the helmet.

In tribute:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    TECKNOVIKING likes this.
  29. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Yeah...Airwolf and Knight Rider...heros of my childhood!;-)

30. TECKNOVIKING

TECKNOVIKING Active Member

20131205_141351.jpg
    breath.JPG
    20131205_155529.jpg

Now the proud owner of this Beauty, I got for my Birthday early in Dec.
    If I am not mistaken is this one of yours Who45?

Has working Target light and 2 installed fans. Visor is permanently down but TBH at events I cherish the fans than the visor up/down function.

31. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

Awesome helmets. I love Airwolf.