Airbrushing with Pros-aide

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

AlyssaS

So I have a bit of a dilemma. I make a lot of SFX Tattoos on waterslide paper, usually using a white makeup sponge to apply pros-aide to the paper. However, it tends to leave little bits of white behind, stuck to the black tattoos. I was told by the makeup team of the TV show I'm making tattoos based on, that the prosthetics team used an airbrush to apply the pros-aide to them-however, the prosthetics team does not have social media and the makeup team does not know what tools or process was used. I tried to spray straight pros-aide and it's too thick to make an even coat that makes the tattoos come off on the skin (they only apply in spots the pros-aide is on, so bits of the tattoo don't apply) and trying to water the pros-aide down with water, activates the water activated paper.

I know there is a way to do it, because I got my hands on a tattoo from the actual TV show, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how they airbrushed the pros-aide onto it without activating the paper and having enough pros-aide to have the entire tattoo come off onto the skin.

Has anyone ever done something like this before? If so, what is the magic secret I am missing?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Mr Mold Maker

Master Member
If airbrushing it is an absolute must, try thinning the prosaide with a little Liquitex Flow Aid. This was something I developed and played with quite a bit when painting latex masks. I am not sure it will fix your activation problem but it should let you spray a nice even coat. You’d probably want to do it in layers, a quick mist, hair dry, another mist, hair dry, etc.

Something else to keep in mind, your airbrush itself may be a big difference. A paasche H with a #5 needle would be able to spray prosaide a lot better than an Iwata eclipse for example.

Last edited:

AlyssaS

Thank you for replying! I'll have to try that out, nothing I've tried so far has worked!

I have a Paasche MIL at the moment but I'm looking at acquiring a new one soon. Does the H have a similar model that's dual action?