Air Compressor Comparison question

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

DarthVeach

I was at the Days Of The Dead convention this past weekend and one of the artists there was using the Harbor Freight 1/8 HP compressor for painting. I talked to her about it and she mentioned she loved how well it worked. I am trying to decide which compressor to get out of these two. The 1/8 HP seems to have better reviews overall. The nice thing is it has a pressure gauge on it which the 1/5 hp one doesn't. But the 1/8 HP one only sprays up to 40 psi, and I am not sure if that is enough for spraying acrylics, or latex colors for doing props or pred skin. If anyone can give me any final advice on these two I would appreciate it. I don't necessarily need the airbrush that comes with the 1/5 hp kit since I have a Paasche VL, but if it is a better compressor then I will go with it. I am just wondering if you can put a regulator on the 1/5 hp or not.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-8-eighth-hp...ssor-93657.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-5-hp-58-psi...-kit-95630.html

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

BigGunns1

Ewww a paashe vl... yuckie..... I would lose the paashe the compressors are both good. If you are spraying acrylics you will have to thin them down to get them to go through the airbrush. 40psi is allot of air.... if you put aregulator on the 1/5 compressor you will lose some psi. Buy yourself an iwata airbrush seriously!!

DarthVeach

Did I mention the Paasche ended up being free? I will never complain about getting a free name brand airbrush! Thanks for the advice on the compressors though!

I was curious about putting a regulator on the 1/5 one since it doesn't have one and I heard it is a little harder to adjust that way.

Effects Guy

Ewww a paashe vl... yuckie..... I would lose the paashe the compressors are both good. If you are spraying acrylics you will have to thin them down to get them to go through the airbrush. 40psi is allot of air.... if you put aregulator on the 1/5 compressor you will lose some psi. Buy yourself an iwata airbrush seriously!!
Actually, a Paasche H is the airbrush of choice of many pros for things like silicone paints, rubber cement paints, and baldies. The unique way that it feeds the paint solves a lot of issues.

An Iwata is my go to for everything else, but a Paasche can be handy for sure.

As for a compressor, you should bear in mind that Paasche and Iwata use different size connectors to the hose. The easy way to solve this is to buy an Iwata braided hose and buy quick disconnectors for all of your brushes.

For a compressor, my favorite is the Iwata Smart Jet Pro. I have had the same one for like 8 years and have had no issues.