Agent Carter as Captain America Costume, help requested

supanovamaddy

I am attempting to make a costume for Supanova Sydney in 2 weeks, based on this sketch
IMG_5130.jpeg
I have made the pants, shirt, shield (thanks to the tutorials on therpf) and helmet, but the body-armour section on the shirt I am having trouble with. I would like it to remain flexible as the shirt is made of a Jersey stretch-knit.
If anyone has any suggestions as to a good way to tackle this, I would really appreciate it, I am pretty new to this.
Thanks!

Ooh, I love it! I can't wait to see it finished!

Could you make the body armour from foam sandwiched between two layers of fabric, with stitch lines in between the individual pieces to really give them definition?

While I've been on here I think I've seen a similar technique used and I'm pretty sure it would be achievable for me. Thanks so much, it means a lot:D

I'd love to see some detail on how people sew foam pieces into costumes, it looks really great. Is there a particular type of fabric that should be used, and a sewing technique that makes it easier?
Can't wait to see how this turns out.

BTW, with the harness to hold the shield, where did you get the 'buckle' at the back? I've been thinking of designing one to 3D print, but don't want to reinvent the wheel if I can help it.

Last edited:
Check out a few of the WIP threads by SMP Designs, he goes into an awesome amount of detail and he has done a few costumes that utilise foam sewn in between fabric. He uses Cordura and upholstery foam, I believe, but it's all covered in his threads. :)

Good luck, this idea is ridiculously cool and I can't wait to see it finished!

I'd love to see some detail on how people sew foam pieces into costumes, it looks really great. Is there a particular type of fabric that should be used, and a sewing technique that makes it easier?
Can't wait to see how this turns out.

BTW, with the harness to hold the shield, where did you get the 'buckle' at the back? I've been thinking of designing one to 3D print, but don't want to reinvent the wheel if I can help it.

Supanova done! Had the most amazing time and would like to thank every one of you that helped me on here with my costume, it meant my clothing was completed on time and looked super awesome, couldn't of done it without your guys input. Really, really proud of the work I did and how it turned out. Would also like to thank my incredible father for putting in hours of work and making sure everything went to plan. Thanks to supanova itself for making my weekend so fun!
Here are some photos from the day
2015SupaNova - 92.jpg2015SupaNova - 116.jpg2015SupaNova - 123.jpg2015SupaNova - 64.jpg2015SupaNova - 121.jpg2015SupaNova - 99.jpg2015SupaNova - 4.jpg2015SupaNova - 24.jpg2015SupaNova - 82.jpg2015SupaNova - 109.jpg

Attachments

• 2015SupaNova - 114.JPG
    2015SupaNova - 114.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 133
  • 2015SupaNova - 43.jpg
    2015SupaNova - 43.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 2015SupaNova - 95.jpg
    2015SupaNova - 95.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back