Ageing props

Paddystephens

I am currently making a replica of the holy grail from Indiana jones I have turned the cup, painted it and gold leafed it but it looks too new any ideas on making it old?

On mine I spray them h a red oxide primer, then I apply the gold leaf fully to the inside and randomly on the outside. Next I dry brush the entire exterior of the cup with some acrylics that I mix. Afterwards I apply a mix of plater of paris, portland cement and sand that I've crushed very fine with a mortar and pestle, basically the same ingrediants used in ultracal 30, I just use a different ratio.

The original grails were primed in a red oxide color, cherry red paint applied, gold leaf applied sporadically on the outside, then had ultrcal 30 applied and they would then rub some off until the desired look was acheived.

On mine I spray them h a red oxide primer, then I apply the gold leaf fully to the inside and randomly on the outside. Next I dry brush the entire exterior of the cup with some acrylics that I mix. Afterwards I apply a mix of plater of paris, portland cement and sand that I've crushed very fine with a mortar and pestle, basically the same ingrediants used in ultracal 30, I just use a different ratio.

The original grails were primed in a red oxide color, cherry red paint applied, gold leaf applied sporadically on the outside, then had ultrcal 30 applied and they would then rub some off until the desired look was acheived.
This may sound crazy but Brown and black liquid shoe polish works great for weathering props and it works on most types of surface and materials i use it all the time for my replicas,you just need to give a light coat of hair spray to stop it from rubbing off once your happy with it.

Careful using shoe polish to weather. Not only does it contain dye (duh) but solvents and oil. If you're going to coat it afterwards with a clear coat, you may have problems.

TazMan2000

Careful using shoe polish to weather. Not only does it contain dye (duh) but solvents and oil. If you're going to coat it afterwards with a clear coat, you may have problems.

TazMan2000
I've never had a problem with hair spray that why I now use it as your right some car clear lacquer spray reacts with it, it's happened to me in the past.

Apply various browns and black acrylic paints and then wipe off with a wet cloth towel. That's the simplified version, but it's what I use.

A Holy Grail is a special case, IMHO. You rather make it dusty than really weather it. Maybe ask RestauraJones, BazzanoJones or Kt Templar if they want to share some thechniques they use with you... They are the best grail makers out there...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back