Advise Needed - Casting a faux bronze plaque

Zinger

I've got an idea for a "bronze" plaque I'd like to make. I'm going to cold cast it with some left over Smooth-Cast 325.

I need advice on one part. How would you create the pebbly texture on the background of the plaque, like this:

oval-cast-plaque-closeup.jpg

I plan to laser cut the lettering and graphics for the plaque, then assemble and distress it a little before casting. I've come up a couple ways to pebble the background, but neither of them seem practical.

Is there a simple way?

Last edited:
That is made by plannishing the plate. I have executed this on a number of occasions as I am a metal worker with a specialization in finishing. If your material is conducive (foam, wood, etc) you can create this effect with a dremel and a ball rasp.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Here is an example of a finish I performed on some 1/4" bronze plate. After hammering, I buffed with scotchbrite, and antiqued with acid gel. Highlights were buffed back in with soft scotchbrite.
ea88f768e4003d4a024a6141c8c5d018.jpg

That is made by plannishing the plate. I have executed this on a number of occasions as I am a metal worker with a specialization in finishing. If your material is conducive (foam, wood, etc) you can create this effect with a dremel and a ball rasp.

Just take the ball rasp and cover the exposed background surface with dimples at random depths. Then mount the smooth raised pieces to the background? I'm glad I asked. That's much simpler than what I had planned.

Thanks!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back