Advice sought, anyone in contact with REL aka Richard Long

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by tnaig001, Jan 11, 2015.

1. tnaig001

tnaig001 Active Member

Hi everyone. First off, my apologies if this is the wrong place to post this. If it is please feel to delete or move it admins.

Summary of facts:
    I commissioned Richard to build a scar raider and a base star from the NuBSG series back in October 2011 after buying the kits from Kit. I sent him US$750 to get the commissions started back in sept 2011.

3 years down the road, I have not received anything.

I have tried emailing him but am having some difficulty getting Richard.

Anyone has another way to contact him?

thanks,
    James.

2. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have talked with him monthly for the last few years through email, but haven't gotten anywhere. I wanted to post in the old thread about this situation, but it's locked. I'm out $1325 plus a studio scale snowspeeder kit I sent for him to finish up.

I know he's gone through a lot of changes, but I've been told repeatedly that a 90 percent finished build is coming every month. I just hope things get sorted eventually and he can get back to being the great artist he was. Until then, I'm searching for answers too.

I think a dedicated sticky might help, although I dislike doing this public resolution thing. I don't know how else it will get resolved.

Do you have his new, non-sovereign email address?

Richard, are you out there?

3. tnaig001

tnaig001 Active Member

The last email contact I had with him was Oct 2014, saying that at least one of the models would be ready by year end.

Didn't happen unfortunately. This is the email I think he is still using. Richard Long <rda2012@gmail.com>;

No replies unfortunately though.

4. Scott Graham

That's the email address I use to keep in touch with him.

5. tnaig001

tnaig001 Active Member

Well, he hasn't replied to this thread per se, but I just received an email from him saying that he will be sending pictures later tonight. will update this thread if that happens.

*fingers crossed*

6. Scott Graham

Good news! I'm hoping it's just a matter of time before things come together.

tnaig001 likes this.
  7. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

IEDBOUNTYHUNTER Sr Member

Good luck. I wouldnt hold your breath. Im still waiting for him to send me my stuff back. I even offered to pay for shipping. He said no problem. That was over a year ago. He will send you pics then it will be another year before you hear from him again. This has been going with alot of people for the last five years.

8. marsattack

marsattack Sr Member

I admire you all!
    All these kits that you all order and believe that by kissing the sellers butt will get you a kit after the first broken promise ?
    And after paying the full anount?

If it was me I would of had paypal deal with it , if I was in the US I would of knocked on this guys door.
    Sorry to hear this , but just pssss me off that you guys are so tolerable.
    Mars

Commander Max likes this.
  9. CutThumb

CutThumb Sr Member

Its a difficult one to deal with. Richard had his friends and admirers and his builds were great , so alot of people gave him the grace beyond the paypal period. He caught me and a few others out with his RM concept X wing and it was only after we found him out when he put the kits up for sale on Starship Modeller that ALOT of other problems came to light (go read the thread). Thankfully somebody here, as always stepped up to the mark and solved the problem by doing the owed kits for him. Without him we'd have lost out, and there are a couple of guys here that are like that all the time , they genuinely help the community and make good of their promises on behalf of others. I 've only ever had one instance where I stopped a payment and that was refunded very quickly . Ever since then I've never let anyone go beyond the paypal limit and if things don't add up I'd advise anyone to hit dispute to sort it.

10. marsattack

marsattack Sr Member

Ok I respect that , but why ask for the full amount of cash upfront ?
    If your product is so good and the person flakes out you just grab that kit and on sell it .
    There are people here that are allowed to not only take years to make a kit after taking payment but owe for a previous run, that's another 4 years old! Wtf?
    Worst thing is , they are surprised when things go wrong.
    We as a community allow this and condition ourselves to accept this from plain crooks!
    They use the money to pay bills or pay for a kit that was sold prior and wasn't delivered.
    Then they come in here and say "hi guys I took your money and still here!!", " been busy with work so will jump in and chime in three months"
    And we say like Eddie Murphy said......"ok"!!
    Most of the time they are selling an idea of which they haven't started and we fall into the trap and pay.
    If you haven't got the money to make the prop, leave it to someone that has .
    I really don't know when we will all learn!
    Mars

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    Commander Max likes this.
  11. Scott Graham

A paypal dispute would be 45 days from when the person was paid, and due to the trust abuse, it was way past that time before things seemed hopeless. I agree with what you are saying otherwise... (I was frustrated when I wrote the rest of this, so edited it out. It's not going to help resolve the problem)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  12. marsattack

marsattack Sr Member

Scott ,currently??? Having problems??
    There's a thread that's 5 years old !! And I bet his answer and justification is " marcel I am still here aren't i?"
    "Am having fun" I would too if I took all that money !! Lol
    And yet he continues to sell stuff.
    Scott I see you are a respected member and have input In the SS model community section.
    What you say , people will agree and usually support , sometimes one needs to take the lead .
    Good on you !
    Mars

13. Scott Graham

The old thread is locked. I don't know why it was locked since there was only resolution with the original person who started it, and the rest of us were left hanging again. I was just asking the staff about it when tnaig001 started this new one.

Thanks for your input in this Mars.

14. marsattack

marsattack Sr Member

Good luck boys
    Wish I could do more
    James (tnaig)is a friend also and hate to see this happen to him!

Mars

15. Bigturc

Bigturc Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have no dog in this fight, and surely, this would be a thread on its own but ...

The day people will stop giving money up front for kits that are not in hands, that day we won't see this problem anymore .. I'm lucky all the SS kits I've received over the years came from Mike and he's AAA seller and always comes first. That'd be the only guy I'll pay up front now.

REL, Steve and other SS builder all did this .. took your money and then life went south, and people WILL HAVE TO kiss their *, what's the point in doing otherwise when someone has hundreds of your well earned $$$. You basically can't do anything ..

I've only started selling cast in the last years, and NEVER have I asked for money before I have the sets/kits in hand. I'm not a millionnaire, but I can definitely pay up front for my rubber and resin and then, recoup my cost from the buyers .. I know that I'll never get stuck with those around for too long .. and it's even more true for these amazing kits, they'll always sell.

Not everyone manages their priorities and money properly, actually, most don't .. ask yourself why the average person's indebtedness is so high!!!

This really has to stop, I'm so tired of seeing people getting $#&^(* again and again .. hopefully, that feedback system gives away to the newcomer .. but again, I'm pretty sure nobody wants to leave negative feedback on these "amazing" kit seller...

I need to start a thread about this ..

Commander Max and SVTStingRay like this.
  16. Scott Graham

I reached out to Richard again, and we're making a plan. It sounds hopeful!

17. tnaig001

tnaig001 Active Member

that's great. I hope you have more luck than I.

It's been 2 weeks since the promise of pictures but nada.

Good luck all.

18. Scott Graham

I was sent these pics back in 2012. He was adding fiber optics and they were said to be 95% finished. EDITED: the model got destroyed in storage. Just found out.

Attached Files:

19. tnaig001

tnaig001 Active Member

that looks great man! He too showed me a picture of the base star within the paypal period and then zilch,

20. Scott Graham

I just emailed him again asking about the speeder in the pics. Apparently it warped badly when in storage, so it's lost. Therefore the replacement kit and paying me back. I hadn't known that it was lost til today, and that's been why I'd been asking "Why not just ship it?" for years. D'oh!

He says he has a couple people before me to pay off then he'll get to me. And the kit will hopefully ship this week.

Keep working with him. Don't give up. He's concerned about making good.

21. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

I wish you guys good luck. All Rich was going to do for me was send back a junk model of mine that he has. I offered to pay shipping more than once. And couldnt even do that.
    This is a repetitive cycle. Get mad. Make a post. He says it will happen. Never happens. Year later start a new post.

22. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

I've always had good dealings with REL. Then again my last deal with him was a few years back... likely before is real life issues. He seems like a good person and likely intends to come through... you know what they say about good intentions. I sincerely hopes he gets back on track he's an incredible talent.

Jedi Dade

Scott Graham likes this.
  23. yt

yt Sr Member

I bought one of his 1/650 Enterprise-D models years ago and was promised an armature and decals...crickets

24. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I bought one of his concept a wings, the canopy was bad, I was promised over and over for over a year a replacement, one lame excuse after another, I resolved to making my own which was much better.
    I really wanted a couple of his other kits, but after THAT experience no way was I giving him any more money......

25. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey folks,

may I suggest that you look at the Steve Neisen thread as a template for a way to solve this situation? The gist is that one of you guys needs to take the reign and compile a list of who is owed what since when. With that list you should contact REL and see if you can get a reaction out of him. If not, you should see into getting him banned. I took the liberty to notify the staff of this thread, so they can keep an eye on it from time to time.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  26. Gans

Gans Active Member

I would also do a list. But even though Paypal has expired you could try your credit card agency if you paid by one and talk to them
    dont know if it works where you are but small claims court works over here and some debt collectors work on %
    Seems like some people only move when the law/ agencies look like they will become involved

27. tnaig001

tnaig001 Active Member

thanks guys. It's always nice to hear others chime in with support. :)

28. Scott Graham

Thanks DaddyfromNaboo.

That's the best plan to problem solve and keep this on track and positive. Let's try to problem solve and not go off on rants. Keep it to facts.

Please just keep this amongst people who need resolutions in dealings with Richard.

First, before any lists, is anyone here also going by the screen name 777 over on Resin Illuminati? I ask because that person is the only one over there in another thread, about the same subject, having similar issues.

29. Scott Graham

The list…

tnaig001:

Scar Raider kit
    Base Star kit
    plus $750

Scott Graham:

Snowspeeder kit - RECEIVED
    plus $1325

Drew aka 777 (over on Resin Illuminati):

$2000

IEDBOUNTYHUNTER:

needs model he sent to be returned

Hector Rosales:

MR unpainted MF prototype

Scott aka Vaderman1701 (over on Resin Illuminati)

Just reported Rich is currently paying him back and it will be settled in a couple of months. This info helps a lot to know!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  30. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

He still owes the MR unpainted Falcon prototype to Hector Rosales. It's supposed to come to me to paint/finish up. I don't think Hector is a member here?

Also, Docmani - a Defiant I think?

31. Scott Graham

Updated list. I PM'd Docmani to ask if he can confirm. I notice he hasn't been on here in a while.

32. tnaig001

tnaig001 Active Member

any updates on anything? crickets on my end.

33. Scott Graham

I updated the list to include another person over on RI chimed in on that thread to say he is being paid back and it will be complete in a couple of months. That was positive news!

Waiting for shipment of the snowspeeder kit...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  34. Scott Graham

The snowspeeder kit went out to me today. I just got notification. Perfect timing.

35. Scott Graham

I've received a replacement snowspeeder kit. Thank you Richard!

List above has been updated.

36. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

Thats great. I know i will never get my stuff back. Its just a broken kit. But it would be nice if he responded here.

37. Scott Graham

Yeah, I noticed he checked in a couple of days. It would be great for everyone if he can take ownership of the thread. Richard?

38. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

ln my dealings with REL have been totally professional. Its good to see him taking care of his issues. It can be terribly difficult to "undo" damage to reputation - AND deals that have been paid or... sometimes the cash is not there anymore... So glad his making good.

Jedi Dade

39. tnaig001

tnaig001 Active Member

Well, don't give up hope IEDBountyhunter, just received an email offering to return my kits and issue a refund, so I think Richard is trying to set things right.

email him and see?

best James.

40. tnaig001

tnaig001 Active Member

anyone else got their kit or $ back?

Richard emailed me back in mid feb but its been crickets since then.

41. Scott Graham

No. I'm sure with all these higher amounts of money that it's going to take a while. Publishing a schedule would help us all to know what's up. I wish Richard would do that next time he checks in. I'll ask the guy over on RI what the status of his refund is, since it was in progress.

42. Commander Max

Commander Max Sr Member

I just caught wind of this, nobody more than me would like to get paid back. I'm not holding my breath.

First thing I wanted to do was thank all those who read my blog. I wanted to shed light on the situation, and try to get it out of my system. I never knew how many people he wronged, it was quite an eye opener.

Something Richard would do was say what people wanted to hear. I was promised one every kit he made(up to the SS K'Tinga). Very little ever showed up. I realized that was something he would just say, He wasn't serious, that became very obvious when stories would change. Along with a lot of excuses, when I would ask "are you sending me...".

I could do a very long post on this subject, but I will only say don't take him at his word, only when your model shows up at your door.

43. REL

REL Sr Member

I know words mean nothing, that is why I've been sending payments and models out to people as fast as I'm able to, and haven't been adding to my backlog. I'm sorry I wronged so many people, especially you Max you were a good friend.

44. REL

REL Sr Member

I would also like to say that I never went into this with the idea of it ending the way it has. I got way over my head, and before I knew it I dug a hole so deep I couldn't get out of it. I'm a terrible businessman and basically made all the wrong decisions. I know the road to hell is paved with good intentions, so I'm not making excuses here. All I can do now is send back as much as I can until it's all rectified, and I am doing that and will get to everyone

45. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

REL... It does not have to be over - unless that is what you want. It seems to me you're making headway in your debts... hopefully everyone will be satisfied with the results of your efforts to settle your balance sheet.

When that happens I for one would not hesitate to do business with you... EVERYONE messes up sooner or later, its what you do to clean things up that distinguishes people.

Good Luck,
    Jedi Dade

Guy Cowen likes this.
  46. Commander Max

Commander Max Sr Member

Scott G. add me to the list, all of these items were requests by Richard Long.

-A 650 scale Enterprise D Kit, in trade for the 350 Botany Bay base patterns. Nothing Recieved

-Printing of a 650 D Nacelle, Nothing recieved

--8 armatures plus materials for the Enterprise D kit. Nothing received.

-A 1000 scale Reliant, creation of cad model, and printing of base patterns. Shipped, status unknown.

-A 1000 scale K'Tinga creation of cad model, and printing of base patterns, shipped, status unknown.

-A 350 Reliant requested, cad model created and printed, never shipped, status destroyed.

-A 350 scale K'Tinga creation of cad model, and printing of base patterns, shipped and completed. Payments and model received. Nothing owed.

-Studio Scale Slave 1, 3d scanning, and cad model creation, printed base patterns, shipped. Received a payment of $2k, to cover material costs. Promised model never received.

-Studio Scale Defiant, cad model provided(insufficient), 3d scanning for model necessary. And cad model creation. Toolpath creation for milling, and milling base pattern, plus 3d printed parts. Long requested another set of engines, scanned and milled. Promised a kit, plus $1k per ordered build-up. Never received.

-Supplied cad patterns for a Republic Star Destroyer, cad work for milling, completed and shipped, status unknown.

-Requested aztec patterns for 650 Enterprise D kit, supplied reference, cad work 24 hours @ $75/hr. Unresolved, I never received the kit.

Promised kits(to cover past unfulfilled requests, never received)-

650 Scale Enterprise D
    Large Scale Ralph Mcquarrie X-Wing
    Probe Droid Pod
    Studio Scale Shuttle Tyderium
    1/72 Tie Defender
    Studio Scale Slave One
    Studio Scale Defiant
    Studio Scale K'Tinga

That's all I can recall at the moment. I have a list somewhere. I'm certain there was more Long was a promising fool. So was I for doing whatever he requested.

47. Scott Graham

I'd thought that the old locked thread from a year ago, or so, was locked because you'd come to an agreement. I can't find that thread right now.

Is there an expectation that you'll receive all of this, or will you work with Richard on a settlement? I'll update the list soon. Richard, can you take over the list?

48. tnaig001

tnaig001 Active Member

Well guys, I think let's just give richard an opportunity.

I'll update when i receive my kit which should be this week or the next at the latest.

49. REL

REL Sr Member

I'm trying to take care of everyone, as I said I'm actively refunding and sending kits out, I have been for awhile now.

Max and I tried to develop a lot of stuff, a lot of it didn't work out for various reasons. We even started a company together to try and recoup the costs of all the stuff he printed, and offered a Bird of Prey as our first kit, I cleaned it up and made into a kit, we only sold one. It was the one with the landing gear no one liked. We sold them through a 3rd party, that was a huge disappointment as we figured it would sell a lot and we were going to do a lot more kits, but it died right there. A lot of the problem was I didn't know how to clean up the printed parts adequately from his printer and ended up rebuilding a lot of it. That isn't Max's fault, he printed them, but it made it to where I was massively behind on them, so as a result a lot of them I never did anything with after he printed them.

So, yes, I promised him a lot of stuff for the effort he put forth, that was about the time I was realizing I was in deep trouble with the garage kit business.

edit: Someone has generously offered to help me with my backlog.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  50. Commander Max

Commander Max Sr Member

Here is the link to the thread Scott.
    http://www.therpf.com/f10/worth-read-205612/?highlight=sovereign+replicas

Yes, I still have have an expectation at least on the kits that were promised. After all I worked on some of them, I wanted to have examples of the work. On the other items we have to work it out.