Advice on simple Jedi Costume

noonelikeobiwan

Hey guys. I just joined the forum; so, I do apologize if my post is off in anyway. I've been hoping to get some costume advice and this place seemed like a good spot for that. I want to design a simple Jedi costume for myself; but, I've never designed a costume before, my sewing skills are lame, and I don't want to spend a lot of money. I want to do something very similar to Obi Wan Kenobi's outfit in the Star Wars films.

sw_cutout_obi-wan.jpg

Since I'm not good at sewing, a friend of mine suggested I buy a white Karate uniform. It would give me a simple base for the tunic and pants (which I imagine would be the hardest part) and I could simply dye the fabric the colors I wanted. The main problem I see with that is there would be a missing piece. I'm not sure what to call it, but I noticed there is a piece over his tunic that goes past his shoulders a bit and is behind his obi belt. It's even a little longer than the tunic. I'm sure I could "pass" without that piece, but I would like to add that piece, if possible. I think I might be able to buy matching fabric that I could dye with the other pieces and then sew accordingly. Does someone have a tutorial I could follow?

Like I said, this is my first costume and I'm very new to this; any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the boards! This a great place to learn, everyone is very friendly and willing to help. I am gathering info and reference photos of obiwan ANH so I can tackle his robes and tunic which are a bit different from your costume. But I chimed in to welcome you and explain when I started my Jedi costume path I found this on youtube

http://youtu.be/jlmwpfdm1x8

it was a pretty good budget build. Before you go buying karate stuff do a price check, believe it or not many people have suggested ebay for getting a Jedi costume. But be sure to look at their selling history first

i hope the video helps you, welcome aboard!!!

@halliwax: Many thanks for your reply and kind welcome. I will check out the video!

EDIT: I looked at the video. Thank you for sharing it. His was idea was simple, but effective. I already have some ideas involving fabric glue to make it look clean and professional, or at least as professional as it can get!

One thing I am definitely struggling with is the colors. I really want to dye the fabric because I don't want plain white; however, I cannot decide if I want to stick with Obi-wan's beige color or something else...

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back