Advice on separating balance pipes?

Welsh Pirate

I received a set of derwent balance pipes yesterday, and they came with coupler or collar connecting them and I can't seem to get them apart.

20210112_171902.jpg

Is there a trick or tool for this? Does it simply unscrew and is probably seized up?

It looks to me that there is a coupler that that screws together probably with a custom made tool. I seriously doubt that they are press fit. I would try a couple of pipe wrenches and turn them in opposite directions, but that may ruin the coupler.
The trick is they might be left or right threaded, so don't turn too much in either direction until you see if they are coming apart or tightening.

TazMan2000

You need a spanner wrench and a vice. Run down to your local bicycle shop and see if they have a wrench that will fit. Spanner nuts are usually used on the forks to adjust head bearings and to hold it all together.

You need a spanner wrench and a vice. Run down to your local bicycle shop and see if they have a wrench that will fit. Spanner nuts are usually used on the forks to adjust head bearings and to hold it all together.

If he put the lower part in the vice, couldn’t he unscrew it with a drift and a hammer?

This might work,but I will almost guarantee that he will booger up the slots. They will look like doo-doo. A properly fitting spanner wrench is the only way to preserve the slots.

I don't think the coupler is the part worth saving. I could be wrong.

TazMan2000
It’s absolutely worth saving. These parts are rare and they don’t make them anymore. Museums and collectors and places are looking for parts like that. I would get the proper spanner wrench as advised and not destroy or damage the part in any way.

This was my thought. Sure looks like it could take a bottom bracket wrench.

It’s absolutely worth saving. These parts are rare and they don’t make them anymore. Museums and collectors and places are looking for parts like that. I would get the proper spanner wrench as advised and not destroy or damage the part in any way.

The Derwent was not a rare engine, and many were saved for museums. Plus, I'm pretty sure Welsh Pirate is going to use them to make light sabers since he posted his question in this forum. I'm willing to bet he isn't restoring a turbojet engine.

chibobber , it is possible that a bike shop may have a compatible spanner, but quite a few aircraft manufacturers use specialized tools for maintaining engines. The tools may only be good for that engine, or perhaps the only for that manufacturer. Even a different model of engine in the same line may need a different toolset. You could spend a lot of time going to bike different bike shops and not find what you are looking for.

Halliwax 's idea of putting it into a vice and using a drift punch is probably the safest idea. Especially if he uses soft jaws and a softer metal punch.
I don't see any corrosion on the part, so hopefully it will come apart with little effort.

TazMan2000

The Derwent was not a rare engine, and many were saved for museums. Plus, I'm pretty sure Welsh Pirate is going to use them to make light sabers since he posted his question in this forum. I'm willing to bet he isn't restoring a turbojet engine.

chibobber , it is possible that a bike shop may have a compatible spanner, but quite a few aircraft manufacturers use specialized tools for maintaining engines. The tools may only be good for that engine, or perhaps the only for that manufacturer. Even a different model of engine in the same line may need a different toolset. You could spend a lot of time going to bike different bike shops and not find what you are looking for.

Halliwax 's idea of putting it into a vice and using a drift punch is probably the safest idea. Especially if he uses soft jaws and a softer metal punch.
I don't see any corrosion on the part, so hopefully it will come apart with little effort.

TazMan2000
Key word was. I never said he was restoring an engine. I personally wouldn’t ruin the part. Regardless I’d probably just use a softer metal punch too. Lol

TazMan2000

I don’t see any harm with using a brass drift or even a wood dowel...

I’ve taken harder and rarer things apart with out damaging them

it appears to be threaded. I think i can see a thread peeking out on the spigot side. Try using a C-spanner to remove it.

like Jediseth said, it would be worth saving. It’s a shame these engines get butchered for the sole purpose of becoming a movie prop piece but anything that could be salvaged is always worth doing.

I understand wanting to preserve these parts even if I don't personally agree with it. However I think you're forgetting something. They're made from material suitable to withstand being used inside a jet engine. It's doubtful there's anything you could do with hand tools that would damage it. As for finding a softer metal to use, that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, if you consider using these parts in a lightsaber build "butchering" them, then you just might be on the wrong forum.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back