Advice on refurbishing 3d prints?

LtPinkerton

Recently got some parts in from a commission that are less than awesome. However, they where cheap so I can’t really complain.

The parts have layer lines and are the wrong color completely. I need to get rid of those lines and repaint.

What would be the best method? Planning on sanding the paint, hitting with Bondo, and going from there. Would that work?

this is a handy thread,

scraping can remove 80% in a very short time.

after you can get most of that done,

i would not go too course with the grit paper as that tends to leave a "furry surface"

after scraping and sanding, i personally use 3m spot putty in thin layers, its soft and easy to sand. others use 2 part wood filler, i've not used it myself so can't comment.

I've used Bondo glazing putty with excellent results (PLA prints):

DSC05388.JPG

Zat3.jpg

GDO2.jpg

GDO6.JPG

Xtc is a resin that helps get rid of print lines. Mix the color you want and apply thin layers. Don't GOOP it on, better to apply five thin layers than on or two thick layers

I was going to mention XTC as well, even though I have only seen it used on YT. Need to get some and start testing with it.
Have a lot of props I will need to make next year.
Sanding PLA is tricky, as you have to go slow. Go to fast and it gets soft and will get furry (as mentioned by Zorg)

One of the things I have good results with is a filler primer spraycan. 4 layers and a little sanding will smooth out the lines perfectly, depending on the quality of the print.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back