Advice on augmenting a brass and steel helmet

Kazac

I have a helmet that has a nose piece I want to remove. The helmet is primarily brass but the nose piece has a thin piece of steel reinforcing it. I would like to cut the nose piece so the front of the helmet is flat. Any advice on tools or helpful resources? Thank you in advance!

Update: the dremel with a metal cutting wheel worked great (pics attached)! Thank you everyone for your advice!

Attachments

• Helmet_1.jpg
    Helmet_1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 264
  • Helmet_5.jpg
    Helmet_5.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Helmet_4.jpg
    Helmet_4.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Helmet_3.jpg
    Helmet_3.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

Kazac

Do you know if it’s been brazed or soldered, maybe a picture would help?
Thanks for the reply! The nose piece seems to have a small amount of solder on some of the edges. I attached an additional pic showing the back of the nose. Will that impact the ability to dremel it off? I've cut brass with snops before but that bit of steel has me nervous.

Attachments

• Helmet_2.jpg
    Helmet_2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 169

TazMan2000

Master Member
Thanks! That was my initial thought but I was hoping someone could vouch for the effectiveness of this method.
Just take your time. Cut out a triangular sections so that your cutting wheel doesn't catch and deflects to places you don't want cut or damaged. Clamp it or tape it well to a bench so that it doesn't move. Once you have the big section cut off, you can spend time grinding or filing down the remaining rough spots.

Good luck and post photos of your work.

TazMan2000

glencsiro

Thanks for that mate, I missed the picture. A dremel with a fibreglass reinforced disk will do the trick, if you draw where you want the cut and score into the surface then keep cutting on that score you’ll get through, take your time and make sure you where a respirator or good dust mask.

xl97

Master Member
HA!..

Thats not me! But this image was shared at my local makerspace the other week .... reminding us all about safety!! :)

TazMan2000

Master Member
Actually, I'm questioning if those photos are staged. I just saw several videos on testing safety eyewear and there are high standards to protect against something like this. By the slag on the entry point, it looks like someone was trying to cut through the glasses and broke off the wheel. In reality, if the wheel broke off the hub while grinding, it would not grind its way into a set of safety glasses, nor would it melt its way through. It would hit and the rotational force would deflect the wheel, causing damage, but not that kind of catastrophic failure.
Try throwing a frisbee into a wall, then try throwing a broken frisbee.

Still, eye, face, breathing and hearing protection are critical at work, and at home. I could think of few things worse that to lose the ability to build my models.

TazMan2000

Kazac

Just take your time. Cut out a triangular sections so that your cutting wheel doesn't catch and deflects to places you don't want cut or damaged. Clamp it or tape it well to a bench so that it doesn't move. Once you have the big section cut off, you can spend time grinding or filing down the remaining rough spots.

Good luck and post photos of your work.

TazMan2000
That wound up working great. The nose piece came off pretty cleanly.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.