Advice for 3D printing for the first time.

Carrett

Hi. I am working on a model project.

I am making a 1:6 scale model of the interceptor from Mad Max: Road Warrior. I got the idea when looking at kit bashed hot toys. I love Mad Max and love 1:6 everything. I also am trying to build my scale model portfolio (I am going to be a stop motion animator) so I believe this will be a great way to have both an awesome model and a portfolio piece. first I thought I would make a Mad Max figure, then I thought "What if I make a 1:6 Interceptor" so I searched the crap out of the internet and could not come up with a 1:6 scale interceptor model so I had the idea to 3D print a model. So step one was to find a 3D Model artist. I found this great artist Robertas Liekis http://robertas3d.daportfolio.com . so I told him my plan. so far he has done some great work (Below) so I'm going to 3D print this model but I don't know where would be the best place to go.

Here is some of the work he has done so far. He is also setting it up for 3D printing. I have not ever 3D printed anything before and I realize this is a big project to start with. I need help finding a good place to print this.
image1.jpegimage2.jpegimage5.jpegimage8(1).jpeg

If anyone has any suggestions on places that prints at this scale, good pricing, best material to print with. any help would be awesome!

Cheers!
Carrett

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image8(1).jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your 3D artist does nice work. However, a design in 3d does not make it printable. Hopefully he segments out the parts much like a model kit.

TazMan2000

a design in 3d does not make it printable
oh yes. this is a problem i always find. parts need to be solid (manifold) and most 3d stuff (especially computer game assets) are modeled for efficiency of polygon use. What is not seen is not modeled.
For example, there is a gap between the inside and outside of the roof, as the part was not modeled as a completely sold piece. When i removed the window, i'm now facing stitching up the area where the window joined the inside and outside parts.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back