Adventure Time Finn Sword - Casting and Molding Help

BeetsCreations

Hello, Im currently building the "Finn Sword" from Adventure Time and I'm looking to get some help with casting and molding.

20150821_122456.jpg
Here's the sword. It's about 3ft long and 3 inches wide.

In hindsight I probably should have built it in sections to make it easier to cast and mold but at this point I'm not totally comfortable with cutting it apart. That being said the mold is going to have to be relatively large. I want to make sure I get it right so I don't waste material. I've done a lot of research and have done some practice in mold making. At this point I'm seeing if my plan is solid or see if you guys have any advice to a novice mold maker.

So as of now here is my plan.
  • Build a two part mold
  • Build a container conforming to the shape sword to save on material for the mold
  • Add sprues to the top and bottom of the inset gem portion along with a pore spout in the pommel

Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Two part mould would be the way to go. Just sink half of the sword in clay, build a box dam around it, add some keys to the edges, and pour your silicone over the top. Add a mothermould (plaster or whatever you plan on using). Remove mothermould, silicone insert, and then flip it over and rinse and repeat. Dont forget to use mould release agent too.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back