Adding Wood Grips to Resin Firefly Mal Pistol

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by dr_slurpee, Apr 14, 2012.

1. dr_slurpee

dr_slurpee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I got a set of these real american walnut wood grips over on FireflyProps.net to try and finally upgrade and finish my resin Mal pistol. fireflyprops.net - Wood grips for sale

[​IMG]

I'll be putting them on this, which I know will take a little alteration since the grips weren't designed to specifically fit the resin pistol, but it should be pretty simple to fill and modify the resin with a little bondo and elbow grease. More to follow!
    [​IMG]

2. Crusaderman2004

Crusaderman2004 Active Member

This will be a fun project to follow! Just curious, what resin model is that? A Wilco?

3. LizardJedi

LizardJedi Sr Member

Not a wilco, they don't have the safety switch, and the grips are separate.

Phillips? If so I think the grips would be close at least?

4. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It HAS to be. At least, it looks exactly like the Philippes' piece that I used to own...

5. robstyle

robstyle Master Member

Keep in mind the Phil castings were off the original FF version out of the original mold or remolded from a pull from the original mold pending the number of the run. By altering it, your removing its lineage.

6. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Does the multiple castings throw the size a little off for the grips fitting?

7. robstyle

robstyle Master Member

it will so break out your $10 Harbor Freight digital calipers before you start cutting.

8. dr_slurpee

dr_slurpee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yep it's a Phil cast. I admit I am a bit torn still about modding it, but I would love to add the grips, make the lever move, add a moving trigger. Perhaps I will end up scratch building though. LOL

9. Prefect42

Prefect42 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

dr_slurpee,

Looking forward to your progress on this one.

Oh, and * you! :lol Just sent Badger some credits for a set. Seriously though, thanks. The resin ones on my Sidkit need replacing.

Ted.

10. Risu

Risu Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I had the same plan, but I actually have to make the grips, too, so I haven't gotten around to it yet. I did remove one of the grips from my Phil cast already, though. It's not too difficult with a dremel tool.