Adding Weight to a Prop Gun

EEvansHilton

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Greetings! I am new to the prop building world here and I have one of my first projects on the table. I've purchased a very nice 3D printed kit for Malcolm Reynolds' pistol from Firefly/Serenity. The construction looks easy enough however the finished product is going to be very light. There's room and space to potentially add 'something' such as a past or perhaps a resin or something to add some weight to the piece to give it at least a little bit more heft. As I see it, this could be done in the handle and in the barrel. Might anyone have a suggestion as to what I might use to add some weight? Again, I'd like to use a substance that can fill in an open area and dry as opposed to say adding bb's or something that will rattle around. You're thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Ethan

Fill about 1/3 with 2-part epoxy, preferably with a longer cure time. Then add BBs until it reaches the top. Add more of either as necessary. I've done this a couple of times for smaller, shallower areas on props.

The faster the cure time of the epoxy, the more it's going to shrink, which may warp your kit, depending on how thick it's walls are, and the hotter it's going to get as it cures, which may warp your kit, etc. If you can't find any slow stuff, maybe try multiple shallow fills.

-MJ

I'd add the weight to the handle and the frame since the barrel should be lighter than the rest. If you are worried about the heat of resin curing warping your pistol could pack the inside with clay. It adds the weight, sticks, is non-reactive and cheep.

I had the same challenge and the epoxy I use create ripples as the walls were to thin, the clay approach is better...it's like a fail safe.

Could you not use sand. Wouldnt really rattle i dont think, thats what my idea is to do with my movie weapon.
Though then again the sand can move and unbalance it. Tho to stop the movement you could use plastic wrap

The real question is how will the final item be used? Is it a display piece that will sit behind glass or show and tell which will be handled often? If its a display piece just finish it and display it, enjoy your work. If its to be handled then how strong is that 3D base material? Adding weight to it may end up in various results from splits, bulging, stress cracks or fractures and possibly even right out breakage from being handled.
All that being said, old skool method would be to add lead shot to the voids and if need be securing it with any adhesive to lock it together. You wouldnt want to add weight to the barrel or other area thats not weight/load bearing. The handle is the main section of support when in hand. If youre going to add weight to what would be the cylinder/main body I would suggest an internal armature that runs to and through the handle. In the end is it worth the time, effort and investment? Thats your call.

Lead weights, steel rods, etc.

My DL-44 was a Mauser airsoft and had a steel weight in the magazine. I relocated that to the receiver, held in place with JB Weld metal putty. I added washers and nuts to the hollow grip halves, held in with hot glue to balance the weight. It's still a bit top heavy and forward heavy, as the muzzle device is all aluminum compared to the plastic body of the rest of the gun.

Ive used the stick on wheel lead weights before. They work well and as lead you dont need many for a good bit of weight.

I glued steel BBs into the Grips and it worked quite well and gave the plastic gun some 'heft'
IMG_4893.JPG

I've used steel BB's and fishing weights with a 2 part epoxy putty like milliput, or steel stick (for a quick set option), or JB weld in the round containers. I'm partial to the putty as I find it easier to work with than liquids, and it adds a bit of heft itself.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back