Adding "grime" to glass?

DirtyWizard

Adding grime to glass?

Hey anyone, this is my first post here and i am very pumped to get started on my very first prop/replica project. All i want to do is make a nuka-cola quantum replica from the fallout series. I've already started by stripping off the original coke label, and giving the bottle some "wear" with 60 grit sandpaper. The trouble i've run in to, is that after seeing this album, i want to replicate the sort of dirt/"grime" on the bottle. I have no clue how to do this. I don't think it could be as simple as rubbing it in the dirt. Any help on this, and any general tips that could help me make my first replica look as fantastic as this one, would be greatly appreciated. Here is the album i was talking about. Quantum Nuka Cola by MicahTheBrave - Imgur

Thanks a lot guys!

Trying to replicate this replica of a nuka-cola quantum bottle. (first time replica, so i'm just kind of copying others to see if i like it.)
Quantum Nuka Cola by MicahTheBrave - Imgur
I am just trying to figure out how he added the dirt/rusty looking "grime" on the bottle. He says that he "dry brushed" it on. Any help on how i could achieve this look would be highly appreciated.

Trying to replicate this replica of a nuka-cola quantum bottle. (first time replica, so i'm just kind of copying others to see if i like it.)
Quantum Nuka Cola by MicahTheBrave - Imgur
I am just trying to figure out how he added the dirt/rusty looking "grime" on the bottle. He says that he "dry brushed" it on. Any help on how i could achieve this look would be highly appreciated.

No need make another thread with the same question...
http://www.therpf.com/f9/adding-grime-glass-143298/

Dry brushing is when you put paint on a brush and then brush away most of it on a piece of paper or towel. Then when you barely can see any paint coming of the brush , you use it on the object. Most Model kits are "weathered" that way.

Tutorials
Warhammer painting stuff: Drybrushing, "wetbrushing" and the likes
Layman's Gunpla Guide - Dry Brushing Tutorial | Otaku Revolution
Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_veMW8qp0s&feature=related
using the dry-brush technique - YouTube

Sorry about the second thread, i just thought my first one wasn't worded real well, and it died. Thanks a lot for the guides! Did you look at the album? Is that what you think he did? It looks so much like real dirt, i couldn't tell it was paint. I guess i'll try my hand at that. Thanks again. Any more tips on this whole project would be appreciated as well.

Sorry about the second thread, i just thought my first one wasn't worded real well, and it died. Thanks a lot for the guides! Did you look at the album? Is that what you think he did? It looks so much like real dirt, i couldn't tell it was paint. I guess i'll try my hand at that. Thanks again. Any more tips on this whole project would be appreciated as well.

I looked at it and that is what he done. Different colors in many layers.
If you are able to find a Warhammer 40k shop then you will be able to find a lot of "dirt" colors
Weathering is the most fun besides building the thing you are making.
When you learned how to do it you never want a prop to be "clean and sparkle" ever more.
Everything looks more "real" with weathering.
layering and drybrushing tips - YouTube
Weathering Your Model Trains and Structures

Oh and i asked a MOD to Merge your two threads together so no worry :)

Sorry about the second thread, i just thought my first one wasn't worded real well, and it died...

You need a bit patience and wait for people to reply in a thread before considering it "dead". A few hours is nothing compared to the power of a few days ;) If you want to change a post, just hit the edit button. If you don´t know how to edit a post, please see the QnA forum, or use the search feature, if you don´t know how to use the search feature then... oh well... :lol

Michael
RPF staff

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back