Adding a recharge port

E-Wan

Sr Member
I have a toy prop that I'd like to fix up in the same manner as SD Studios fabulous TMP Phaser upgrades and part of this involves permanently closing and filling the battery compartment opening. Instead of the thing eventually dying, I'd love to install a subtle recharge port.

What would I need to do to the wiring to install a recharge port? Is it as simple as replacing the batteries with rechargeable equivalent and adding the port?

Appreciate any help as electronics are not really my thing!

That would certainly be the easiest way to do it, but I would add a DPDT switch to isolate the battery when you are charging it. I'll draw you a quick sketch, hold on

Here, it's about as simple as I can get it

Batteryconnections.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the response CynderBloc! Very helpful. So would that be an internal switch that's only active while charging?

I was thinking of using standard rechargables like these unless there's a specialized type I should be using?

Thanks for the response CynderBloc! Very helpful. So would that be an internal switch that's only active while charging?

I was thinking of using standard rechargables like these unless there's a specialized type I should be using?

The switch is there to protect the main circuit in case of a surge or failure within the recharging circuit. You basically want one of these puppies
wsw-dpdt-sl.jpg

So when you want to charge you throw the switch and plug in the charger. It also doubles as a handy off button.

If you want to get adventurous there's this:
http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/usb_charger.html

If not, just get a nimh charger and solder the wires of the jack on the battery contacts.

Which reminds me, how many batteries are you going to have in there? Two?

Last edited:
Aha! I see. Very helpful!

The prop is a gun-style thing, where the electronics are only ever engaged when the trigger is pulled - do I still need one of these?

Sorry, I was off watching a film.

Like has already been said, the DPDT switch is purely there so the main circuit won't be active while the charger is plugged in. Protects from surges and the battery being active and charged at the same time.

When it comes to whatever type of batteries you use, standard rechargable ones will do, but they can get quite warm while charging.

Make sure you use a charger with full charge detection. You can just plug in a dc adapter with the correct voltage & amps, but it's very easy to let it run too long and the battery will literally melt....and possibly explode. Melted battery + acid inside your prop = not good

The easiest way would be to take a simple wall socket battery charger and solder leads onto the positive and negative terminals, then connect it into your prop with a DC jack and plug like these

Chassis mounting single hole fixing DC power socket

DC Power plugs

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back