Adam Savage's ZF-1 (Fifth Element)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by CaptainEO, May 17, 2012.

1. CaptainEO

CaptainEO Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. TheNickFox

TheNickFox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool video indeed.

This is one of those props I've always wanted. I follow some of the builds here and just drool all over my keyboard every time.

Props (Not sure if I intended that pun) to Adam and the rest of the guys working so hard to bring the ZF-1 to life.

-Nick

3. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great Video but Adam it's the replica PROP forum not replica PROPS forum. :lol

4. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

So awesome knowing that Adam is just another Nerd lol.

5. Rymo

Rymo Well-Known Member

I'm at work, so I tried to watch this discreetly using YouTube's Closed Caption Transcription feature. Let's just say the feature still needs some work. :lol

6. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

He's still getting the word out there in the Geek Circles. I think Art won't mind a bit.

7. Jedifyfe

Lol. You're right but I could see everyone joining the hacked the-rpf.com by accident.

What's nice to know is that even Adam has projects that take years!

8. CaptainEO

Also, a quick google search of "replica props forum" still has us at the top! :cool

Seriously though, I would never have known about this site if it wasn't for Adam's TED talk about Obsession and the maltese falcon. He fights the good fight!

9. Uncle

Uncle Active Member

Nice video and a really cool build!

10. Superkrates

Superkrates Active Member

i remember reading about his ZF1 project he was 'almost finished with' in Popular Science three years ago - I had just taken on a commission to build one for an exec at Blizzard Entertainment - like Adam's prior attempts, many things were not-quite-accurate. Nice to see the fiberglass pod and electronics I supply going into this Uber-accurate project.

11. russrep

russrep Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great video :)
    Russ

12. shenphong

shenphong Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sad to say, I had a friend watch this video on my FB page and finally decided to join (after months of pushing him to) the forum. Only problem is he googled it and jumped into the-rpf. Trying to convince the guy to sign up to the correct site and explaining to him what has occurred as of late has proven to be...difficult.

13. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Cool project.

How difficult can it be for him to understand that he signed up to a fake site and he should join here instead - though with a different password? Seriously... that's just... seriously. :confused

14. CaptainEO

Googling "the replica props forum", "the replica prop forum", "replica props forum", "replica prop forum", "the rpf" and "rpf" all turn up the correct site. How did he find the spoof site? Just curious as to help prevent this problem in the future.

15. Jedifyfe

My point has been proven! PLEASE Adam....make sure you quote the correct name ;) . I'm sure you wouldn't want people calling your show MISSBUSTERS...That would be a WHOLE 'nother show all together.

16. shenphong

I told him it was called therpf...he decided it must be THE-rpf. Not sure what the confusion was, but at least he tried lol. I do emphasize the THE part a lot when I tell people about the forum though.

*Just a note, how is it on google images? I still pull up images linked to the-rpf every now and then.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  17. Mr. THX

Mr. THX Sr Member

cool video :D

18. KidL

KidL Well-Known Member

I was browsing through another social site (not prop related) where people are discussing this clip and came across some amusing quotes concerning the building of screen-accurate replicas:

"i've watched the maltese falcon talk. I totally understand that he does it for fun and enjoys the process. I just cant understand why he makes it appear so difficult
    "

"Couldn't someone of Adam's caliber get in touch with the prop makers and get their design?
    "

"I always wonder this too. It's like, with the effort you're putting into this, couldn't you ask the prop makers?"

"He spends years and countless resources to try and make this, who in the hell is making this for a movie?"

:facepalm :lol

Funnily enough, towards the bottom there's this post: "The RPF anyone?"

I sometimes forget that people in general usually don't notice the finer details and quirks that make accuracy so important (or desired I guess I should say). On one hand, even I get lost in some of the more involved discussion (Vader helmets anyone?). On the other, Rubies makes me gag. Now excuse me while I go cradle my 47A and admire it's fine craftsmanship and attention to detail.

19. DBoz

DBoz Well-Known Member

That is a great video. Anyone else notice the IM Mk.1 sitting on the floor at 1:47 in?

The story about the marking fluid is interesting as it has been recently found that this is most likely also what was used for the blue parts of R2-D2 in ANH.

20. asavage

asavage Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sorry about saying the Replica Props forum. I'll put up a post on Tested.com about the spoof site this weekend. Glad you guys liked the vid!

21. shenphong

Saw that, helmet AND chest. I was literally freezing it there to see what details I could make out. That and what appeared to be chewie face masks in the back?

22. GINO

GINO Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sweet vid.

Hey Adam, saw in the vid we have the same protoform machine!

[​IMG]

23. asavage

asavage Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yep. I love that thing. Bought it 90% built sight unseen. Good sized vac formers are hard to find. Still had to put a bunch of $ into it for good vacuum and power management.

Those are two chewie masks in the back. Waiting for my attention.

24. bish

bish New Member

Great video, I love seeing this and the Maltese Falcon presentation video, because I can show them to my family and have them say... "Oh you mean that nice guy on Mythbusters is into all the prop thingies you are??"

It feels great to have such validation! Thanks!! :)

-Bish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. shenphong

Not enough Chewie builds on here, hope to see some progress on them!

26. Garthok

Garthok Sr Member

Nice vid, I kept waiting to hear a mention of the names Marsattacks and Zombie Killer. But I guess it being shown as the incredibly accurate ZF1, that Adam even gave up making his own version to use their supplied parts and frame is very high kudos to them.

Well done to all involved and it's always a thrill to be a part of a forum with such talented people on board.

27. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

I really want to thank Art Andrews for the awesome reference that made this possible. We could never have gotten it this accurate without his help. THANK YOU ART!!

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  28. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Great video, just showed it to the GF and she kinda gets why i do it a little more now, bonus.

29. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Wow, nice ZF-1! :thumbsup I have been wanting one for many years myself. I remember the old Zorg bomb build thread here eons ago.

Adam, if you need any electronics to mechanize the doors or sounds, let me know.

I just added a small 6-channel servo controller board to my site for controlling panels/doors on the gun. I made it basically to motivate me to start on one some day.

Jim

30. marsattack

marsattack Sr Member

Entertaining video Adam and thanks for posting captainEO!

I am worried though Adam,
    Are we liable for any monies due to product placement??
    ;)
    Mars

31. EvilRocketeer

EvilRocketeer Sr Member

Nice rocketeer jetpack :)

32. Crowbot

Crowbot New Member

Nice looking ZF-1 there, Adam! It's coming along nicely. Only one complaint about the video- WHY can't the camera operator hold the thing still? Sharp zoom in, zoom out, wiggle around, cut the tops of your heads off, zoom in again, shoot at a 12-degree angle...

33. KramStaar

KramStaar Sr Member

I have to agree, watching their Herculean efforts in collaboration with Adam's build is very rewarding and while I also agree with Crowbot's comments regarding the video, seeing the pristine machine work done in making this is enough to inspire some serious prop-envy.

Cheers for sharing the video and I look forward to seeing this project given the recognition it deserves..

Highest regards

MARK

34. Leigh

Leigh Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A thing of beauty!! I love the machining on that ZF-1, quality machining like that is just so nice to look at :)

(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

35. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

Brad, can you pick my lottery numbers next?

36. disposablepal

disposablepal Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

the amount of detail on that ZF-1 is amazing. cant wait to see it completed!

37. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have now. Missed it last night when I watched the link from Make. I kind of want to make one since that is about the only one my stomach will fit in.

38. G17RDY

G17RDY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nicely done, there's just not enough video's out there to watch on our hobby, i suggest that we need more of this for sure.

Have to say though, god dammit now i want a ZF-1 - Curse you Adam Savage!

39. planet

planet Well-Known Member

Wonder why he just didn't opt for buying the finished model they sell?
    Maybe he gets into the build process . Guy does nice work for sure . The falcon he made was really nice to.

40. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Building is most of the fun and makes everything more special.

41. planet

planet Well-Known Member

Thats what i figured :)
    He is a handy guy for sure .

42. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

We don't have any finished ZFs yet and will never sell complete ones unless they are our own. We may do one more run of parts but do the live fire version. It is different than this one that was based on the flame thrower gun. I would have to redraw all the front parts except for the blue nozzle and it's mounting bar. Have to finish this one first though.

43. Feraud

Feraud Sr Member

Very cool video. Thanks for posting it.

It's the research, research, building, new discoveries, and re-building that is part of the enjoyment!!

44. planet

planet Well-Known Member

Glen I was reading a thread from a few months ago
    Others may know more then me but there was a killer finished one
    that was unreal. I could be wrong but think it was around 10k I figured it was the same sellers . Why I asked why he didn't go for the finished model.

Might have been a one off custom . The gun was 100 pct spot on exact
    crazy sick. It had moving parts etc . It really was an amazing job . Maybe Adam had seen it also have no idea. Does that ring any bells??

45. marsattack

marsattack Sr Member

I saw that one , and it was not 100 percent exact.
    In fact there was a few things inaccurate. It was the one pictured at someone's get together party right?
    It was very nice .
    Just to clarify though,
    Adam is building one Of ours as pictured in the video.

I can't say for sure but the one in those pics you refer to could have been one of Adam's old ones or belongs to one of Adams friend.
    I have an early pic of Adams first one and that looks like it's the one.

46. planet

planet Well-Known Member

Nope it was not Adams friend or party thing. Someone on here had it commissioned might have been RK he has a huge replica collection . From what I remember it had a firing missile , Thing was off the chain mind blowing killer .

Remember its was very late when I was reading it and i am NOT a expert on the gun by any means . But my honest opinion it would be very hard to make
    a replica nicer then this was .

47. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

What's his username over there? I'll go over and re-educate him. :)

48. marsattack

marsattack Sr Member

Planet, that's superkrates zf.
    RK had that commissioned,
    Yes it's very nice, again that is not what Adam has.
    Ours is all machined alloy parts and we are still doing it.
    Kurts one , I think it's mostly resin with some exceptions.
    Yes it's been very hard to build an acurate piece. We scale it and draw it.
    We carefully take each piece and examine the hell out if it .
    each screw , each thread and ech part is engineered to fit perfectly.
    Maybe you missed our thread.

49. planet

planet Well-Known Member

Thats what I said i thought he had it commissioned guess my memory is pretty good lol.
    I understand yours is an all steel version and I am sure its great to.

I assume they made a stunt version maybe thats what its more towards.

Or just a kick a** Piece they did that if you ask me.

i am sure I did miss the thread . I had never seen anyone make a replica of it before so resin or not that thing is the bomb . I think from what your saying you had the original and took it apart and measured it one piece at a time
    machined each piece cool congrats man . I can't say how accurate RK is to yours but the thing blew my hair way back man lol .

I will have to look for your story on here . Sound like a very cool endeavor

50. Unforgiven

Unforgiven Active Member

Big Mythbusters fan - had no idea Adam Savage was a member here (I'm new myself). I am humbled by the amount of individual and collective talent on this site! :)

Will