Adam Savage's Black Series Mando Helmet

Great vid. Fascinating that adding the gloss coat to the BS helmet actually increased its glossiness instead of dulling it. I bought one personally and I've debated going the Alumaluster route with it for a repaint, but these look pretty good as well after weathering, very cool.

Very cool! Painting and weathering is my weakest skill so things like that help! I'm always freaked out about ruining whatever I just built whenever I start painting. I started laughing when the helmet ended up looking like chrome because without thinking about it, my brain went "By your command." :lol:

Does anyone know what kind of flexible lights those are? Those look really handy!

Great video, love that he's also working on the Mando Hasbro helmet.

On a similar note, i have as well. Installing a custom voice amp, self contained in the helmet with zero feedback.

Attachments

• Photo Sep 23, 9 58 42 AM.jpg
    Photo Sep 23, 9 58 42 AM.jpg
    819.4 KB · Views: 191
Believe it or not, I used an old Halloween voice changer I had laying around:

It was garbage sounding at first, but replaced all the wiring, upgraded the speaker to a 5w laptop (enclosed) speaker, and added new switches. Completely changed how it sounds, nice and loud with zero crackling or distortion.

*also, if you remove the back vent cover, the replacement speaker used is the same size and perfect for the sound to come out of:

And...I've watched the video...ordered it.. and it's just turned up

Its a nice piece. Though the internal skull cap is too tight, but it can be popped out. However its going to be a display piece so I wont be wearing it much

I wonder if a coat of Tamiya smoke would bring it closer. I’m not sure if it’s just darker but also bluer,more gunmeta.

Last edited:
I was just asking if anyone had done this in the main Mando thread because I was considering the purchase of a second TBS helmet!

Great vid. Fascinating that adding the gloss coat to the BS helmet actually increased its glossiness instead of dulling it. I bought one personally and I've debated going the Alumaluster route with it for a repaint, but these look pretty good as well after weathering, very cool.

I'm surprised that Adam (and others) are surprised by this -- the same thing is happening with the Hasbro finish as happens when modelers dip, say, a piece of scuffed-up clear plastic into Future to clean it up (which I would think is a technique he'd be familiar with). By filling in the micro imperfections of the matte top coat, he's reducing the roughness of the metallic layer and therefore increasing its clarity. The Hasbro finish is probably vac metal instead of paint, and the matte varnish was how they dulled it down.

EDIT: Ah, he addressed this in the second half of the video.

Last edited:
Ahhh.. I’d love to get one of these!! Always been a Fett fan and now Mando fan.. I didn’t realize that these were available ( so off I go to order one LOL )
But yeah .. I do agree that it needs darkening. I think the actual one is darker.. although it could be the film treatment / coloring they used in post production too. I wonder if the actual prop is brighter than what’s shown on the series....

Ahhh.. I’d love to get one of these!! Always been a Fett fan and now Mando fan.. I didn’t realize that these were available ( so off I go to order one LOL )
But yeah .. I do agree that it needs darkening. I think the actual one is darker.. although it could be the film treatment / coloring they used in post production too. I wonder if the actual prop is brighter than what’s shown on the series....
I’ve seen one in person it is a amazing piece and you can’t beat the price

I ended up ordering one after seeing the video. I don't plan on spray clear-coating it as I think it leaves too much speckeling. I may try just using some non-abrasive wax.

So first clear the helmet, then seal it with floor wax, then weather it & Boom finished? Never heard of using floor wax before. Who else has done this & what floor wax is recommended ?

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back