Adam Savage Custom Multi-Tool Holder - Leatherman Charge

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by ebswift, Sep 10, 2015.

1. ebswift

ebswift Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi guys, here is my take on Adam's holder modified to suit the dimensions of the Charge. I haven't built it yet, but it is definitely WIP, so I'm yet to test my dimensions. For this build I will provide the Inventor files so everyone (who has access to that software) can have-at. My drawings are based on 2mm aluminium which is a tough task for DIY but I happen to have access to a workshop, and that also happens to be the thickness of the bit of scrap I found. The folds should be good, the test will be the belt loop. Anyway, not much more to add than look at the pics and if you have the software, load up the Inventor files to check out all the dimensions. I didn't dimension the drawing, there are lots of angles and such which might be easier to just trace around from a print. View attachment Charge.zip

ChargeHolder1.png ChargeHolder2.png ChargeHolder3.png Leatherman Charge Holder.png

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  2. Shadrack268

Shadrack268 New Member

cool! what will the final holster be made of?

3. ebswift

Hey Shadrack268, this will be 2mm aluminium.

I'm a newbie to inventor, does anyone know how to get a 1:1 template print from the drawing that can be traced? I have managed to get a 1:1 drawing it seems, but it just squashes it down to the A4 print that I'm doing...

4. zapwizard

zapwizard Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I haven't used Inventor. However in most cad programs you set the scale of your drawing to 1:1. I can't tell but in your image it looks like it is set to 3:1.
    From there you should be able to print it directly at scale, or export to a PDF, and from there print it disabling any print options such as "fit to page".

Also typically you show a flat pattern as the "inside" surface. That way you can tape it down to a sheet of metal and cut it, and bend it inwards without tearing the paper.
    I use a low-tack double sticky tape to cover all the edges I will cut, that way the paper guide stays until the part is almost finished.

If your going to share a CAD file, export it as a STEP file. That way people with other CAD software can open it.

5. ebswift

Okay, thanks for the info, I now have a 1:1 PDF template and a STEP file. The template is not 'inside' but for the sake of the exercise it will give you the same result.

Attached Files: