Adam Savage Costume

So after watching Kung Fu Panda "The Maltese Mantis" with my 2 yo son. (probably the only show we currently agree on). I got a great idea. In the episode Po goes to Fan Fest as himself and says it's a costume so everyone thinks its a really good costume and not that he is actually Po. So...
I've decided that I want to go to Comic-con dressed as Adam Savage! It would be awesome if we organized a crew of people to all do it on a specific day. It'd be like where's waldo!
Regardless of whether or not anyone else gets into it I am officially starting the research stage of this costume.
Questions for everyone:
  1. What are the "must haves" of the costume?
  2. What are his iconic articles in your opinion?
  3. What is your favorite Savage outfit or article?

I am going to start compiling my own photo gallery, but I really like seeing what all the crazy minds on here come up with.

Adam Savage of mythbusters? well....there's this episode where Jaime dresses as Adam and vice versa, with latex masks and everything...

Definitely the glasses.

after that, there is no set outfit (unlike Jamie), but the hat, the black T-shirt (Toys for Big Boys), and if you could custom make the green jacket, you would have mad skilz

orhadar - in that episode they use latex masks, I'm going for the sleight of hand/illusion route. I don't expect people to mistake me for him up close. But I want people across the room to say "Hey was that Adam Savage?!"

Clonesix - Once I get a good eye on it, and nail down the details the green jacket shouldn't be a problem. If the tailoring skills required are beyond the skills of my wife and I (doubtful) then we will resort to our resident expert (My mother, she made all of our clothes from scratch when I was growing up because it was cheaper). I'm not saying I am nearly as good as some of the cosplayers on this forum, but here is my wife's interpretation of the white rabbit from Alice in Wonderland as an example of something my wife wiped up from scratch for my son Halloween of 2011. And by scratch I mean the only thing store bought was the pocket watch and the white shirt. We made everything including the child ;)
The hat was part of my costume that year.

It's been done a few times before.

My favorite is the one where some guy dressed up as both Adam and Jamie, like split down the middle.

While I know the glasses and red hair and beard are going to be the MOST important bits, do not underestimate the hat. It's apparently an Indiana Jones style hat but it doesn't look quite the same on Adam, and it will help the look a lot - he wore that hat for something like a year or two straight on MB it looks like.

Don't forget, he's a member here. He'd probably get a kick out of this!

hamsterstyle done at comic-com (or similar events)? Or done on the show? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, if I thought it was a good idea someone was bound to have already thought of it.

Clonesix - Do you mean this green jacket?
adam_flight_jacket.jpg
tumblr_ll1incSN4R1qa93r9o1_500.jpg

While that is a fun and challenging build, my goal is to actually be mistaken for him as often as possible. To Do that I'm going to capture his style and 'some' of his iconic articles. The way I see it, there is a balance between being recognized and what he would actually wear to comic-con. The more iconic stuff I wear the more eyes I will catch, but too much familiarity and people would immediately realize that Adam wouldn't wear that to Comic-con.... Unless Adam actually dressed up as Adam in order to make people think he wasn't him.. OK not going down that thought path it'd just make my head spin.

Anyways, if I wear an iconic jacket I'd probably wear his black (?) jacket from earlier seasons
adam-savage-mythbusters.jpg

Or this plaid jacket from a lot of promo shots and a few speaking events
wpid-Photo-Oct-10-2012-1257-PM.jpg

Adam+Savage+adam.jpg

What does everyone think about the Indian Jones hat? I know he actually got it from someone on this site. I could fork out the cash for one (gives me a good excuse because I've wanted one for a while). But would Adam actually wear it to Comic-con? It would definitely make the hair easier. My forehead is getting bigger every year, but it's not quite as big as his yet, but he also has a decade or two more of life (and children) than I do.

As for the shirt; I think I'm going to go with straight black. Even though there are about a dozen iconic shirts of his, I've noticed that more than anything he just wears straight black. Whether I wear black t-shirt
Adam-Savage-1350410944.PNG

Black Polo
Adam_0662.jpg

unchained-reaction-adam-savage-1.jpg

adam-savage.jpg

or button up
Adam_Savage_13.jpg

will probably depend a lot on the direction I go with the whole outfit.
Anyone have an opinion one way or another?

In related news I found an interested blog post of a look alike. Do you think this photo is of Adam?
Adam-Savage-Mic-2.jpg

PrimoOptimoso - I know he frequents the page :) His regular name drops of the forum on the show are the primary thing that drove me to the site, and towards prop replicas as an extension of the making that I do. This is largely an homage to him, not just for Mythbuster, but everything that he puts into inspiring others to make/create/invent/dream.
I am an Engineer who dreams, and he (IMO) is a dreamer who engineers, and I think there needs to be more engineering in art, and more art in engineering. There are many great examples of the overlap, but I am talking about all art and all engineering. The line needs to be blurred even more than it already is.
I hope he sees this, but I'm not "counting on it" per se. The whole idea of doing a coordinated event where we have dozens of Adam's walking around was an afterthought that made me laugh, and I hope it makes him smile. Without his involvement unless there are a lot of affirmative responses to this post I'm not sure if it'd materialize.

Sorry for the ridiculously long post :/

That's me above. The shirt I wear is a American Apparel Ringer T, black on black, size M. The plaid jacket is Jil Sander. Jeans are diesel, or levis, or sometimes Ernest sewn. Worn out bloodstone boots (steel toes) are daily wear as well.

Glasses come from a designer named Gillian Kaplan in England.

Good luck!

For some reason people always dress up their kids like Adam and Jamie. Which is kind of awesome. I always appreciate new generations of nerds.

That's me above. The shirt I wear is a American Apparel Ringer T, black on black, size M. The plaid jacket is Jil Sander. Jeans are diesel, or levis, or sometimes Ernest sewn. Worn out bloodstone boots (steel toes) are daily wear as well.

Good luck!

Wow... that's so awesome that -you- are on here :)

This does sound like a fun idea, good luck!

-The Armorer

Will there be a run of SA Adams in the Junkyard following this?

If so, I'm in pending price and pics...my Maltese Falcon needs a stand. :lol

-Nick

Anytime I leave the house in black shoes, blue jeans and a black tshirt I say I'm dressed in my Adam Savage costume.

I hope I don't owe him any royalties.

I come close to Adam with my beard being reddish white, but I've got about 120 pounds on him and too much of a gut :lol

Adam if you ever get down by the Corpus Area look up us Corpus RPFers, I for one would be honored to buy you lunch or dinner at IHOP the others probably would as well.

Good luck!

Awesome! thanks. You just made this whole process 100x easier. I was going to ask about the jeans because I notice while you don't wear the same jeans all the time, they all seem so similar that you must be particular about cut.

I'll have to find a pic - My best female friend and her hubby came to my Halloween party as Adam and Jamie a couple years ago; they easily scored the Best Costume Pimp Cup Prize (tm) that year!

I say all that to say this: It will be a hit, guaranteed.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back