Adam Maitland (Alec Baldwin) from Beetlejuice

Mike J.

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
An analysis of Alec Baldwin's costume, and my replica.

For some reason, I got it into my head to be Adam Maitland (at least once) this year.

From top to bottom, Adam seems to wear:

• Gold-rimmed glasses
  • Black & white plaid flannel shirt
  • Red undershirt
  • Leather and cloth belt
  • Khaki pants
  • Gray socks
  • Brown (?) boat shoes / deck shoes

A reasonable facsimile of which can be put together fairly easily, quickly and inexpensively.

This year (2018) is also the 30th anniversary of the film (1988).

In the following posts, I'll dissect Adam's costume pieces as best I can, and tell you what I used.

-MJ

Attachments

Mike J.

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The shirts:

Adam wears a red t-shirt (?) under a black and white plaid flannel shirt. I got a new, blank, all cotton red tee from a craft store for $3.

The flannel shirt has two chest pockets, with pointed flaps, and square bottom pocket corners. The stitching appears to be black, as do the buttons.

Just visible on the side of his left chest pocket is a small manufacturer's tag, which I suspect (but cannot prove) is a Levi's tag.

I ended up buying a similar, used flannel shirt from eBay.

Attachments

Mike J.

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Belt and pants:

Adam wears a cloth and leather belt with a gold-tone buckle, and flat front khaki pants with no obvious maker's markings.

I eventually found a similar pair of pants and belt on eBay.

Attachments

Mike J.

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Shoes & socks:

Adam Maitland seems to wear thick, gray socks with dark (brown?) boat shoes or deck shoes.

His shoes appear to have a flat sole, and two eyelets on each side for the laces. These may be something like a Clark's Wallabee shoe, a moccasin, or loafers, and less like a deck shoe, but it's extremely hard to make out any details.

I chose a pair of Dockers deck shoes from a Goodwill store, which I 'recolored' with copious amounts of brown shoe polish.

Attachments

Mike J.

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Splendid! Believe it or not, I thought you were James Rolfe for a second (not a bad thing). Either ways, great job!
Thanks!

Here's my rough price breakdown:

$15: Plaid Shirt (eBay? Arizona Jeans Co.)
$03: Red T-Shirt (Michael’s)
$08: Belt (eBay, right size / more acc)
$00: Khaki pants (have)
$10: Shoes (Goodwill)
$00: Brown shoe polish (have)

$36: Total